Scale of the Universe

Latest Scientific American has a great article on matter in the universe. Estimates are about 200 billion galaxies in the universe (probably more). And yet they only make up about 3% of the matter.

wifes-pant.gif

Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed it very much.

Thank you for reminding me that we are all just a pixel in the big picture. :) This thing was cool.

Also looking at this thing again just reminded me of how the universe imitates itself over and over all the way down to the smallest scales. All the atoms in your hand are very far apart from each other and on a atomic level you are mostly made up of empty space. It is only the force of electromagnetism which makes your hand depress you keyboard's keys and not instead pass right through them. Mind boggling really but makes complete sense oddly. What's weirder is if you look at an atom in motion it looks a lot like a satellite around a cosmic body. It's like life is one big fractal.

Latest Scientific American has a great article on matter in the universe. Estimates are about 200 billion galaxies in the universe (probably more). And yet they only make up about 3% of the matter.

And even matter itself (the stuff we can see) consists of empty space. They say if you removed all the space at the atomic level and condensed the atoms of every human on earth it would fit in a space the size of a sugar cube. Some useless dribble i should really keep to myself. :D

Top Bottom