s9e Media Sites

s9e Media Sites 2.15.6

No permission to download
Sure, although it will only affect new posts. Old posts keep their [MEDIA] BBCode, new embeds use the [URL] BBCode. Both are supported at all time, the only thing that changes is what markup gets added to a post when someone embeds a video or something.

• Love
Reactions: rdn
JoshyPHP updated s9e Media Sites with a new update entry:

Added option to link to the original URL when using a custom BBCode to embed content

An option has been added that will display a link to the original URL used to embed content. This is only available when the add-on is configured to use a [URL] BBCode instead of the [MEDIA] BBCode. The option is enabled by default buy only applies to content embedded via a [URL] BBCode.

View attachment 289948

In addition, PHP requirements have been bumped to PHP 8.0+ as earlier versions are...

Read the rest of this update entry...

ah. so i was getting confused that having two links in the post content would result in well double links if/when the addon stops working. installed and the link only appears in embed mode and is not made part of the post content like the option xenforo has for embedding. so it works on all existing embeds and can be enabled or disabled at any time. seems like a good option to keep enabled i suppose.

it's in the screenshot. full code is editable. i edited it to link the source to the keyword Source instead of actually showing the link itself.

Last edited:
Yeah, I second that. A small question, however: Would you be able to add a phrase for the "View" part of the link?
No, the snippet used to create the link follows the same rules as user input, so you don't have access to template functions such as phrase(). I thought long and hard about how to make that option configurable, whether it's as BBCode, HTML, or a template and I chose the BBCode route for its familiarity as the option is modeled after XenForo's autoEmbedMedia option. I actually wrote down some notes while working on it. So you can use your own phrase in the option but it will be static.

It depends. If you selected to use a custom [URL] BBCode in the add-on's options to embed content, then if you uninstall the add-on they all turn back to regular links no matter the source. If you use regular [MEDIA] BBCodes then they remain as embedded things. If XenForo supports the site by default (e.g. YouTube or Twitter) then they will most likely still work. If that's a site that's not supported by XenForo (e.g. Threads) then the BBCode won't produce any output.
So it sounds like "use a custom URL" should be default then? Why is "use the default media" the default option?

ah. so i was getting confused that having two links in the post content would result in well double links if/when the addon stops working. installed and the link only appears in embed mode and is not made part of the post content like the option xenforo has for embedding. so it works on all existing embeds and can be enabled or disabled at any time. seems like a good option to keep enabled i suppose.
This isn't clear to me.

This isn't clear to me.
Use a custom [URL] BB code with a media attribute is basically designed to use regular link code but still load them as embeds. The idea I imagine is that in future, if this addon, or the embeds from a particular service stops working, posts would load the embeds as regular links. This would not happen with the way default embeds work. They just don't load and if there is no source link included, nothing would appear for the end user.

My point was that if this addon would add a source link with embed link in post content, it would end up posting two links in the above scenario when embeds do not work anymore. That does not happen, because the source link is created by the addon and is not added to post content.

I suppose I failed to clarify what I was trying to say. In any case, it is nothing important as it was just an observation about the latest update.

Installed this to fix my issue with x.com from twitter not embedding properly. Looks like it does a great job from what I can tell :)

I'm assuming if I ever uninstall this, I'll get back the default media sites (twitter, etc) as shipped with XF?

p.s. donation sent

So it sounds like "use a custom URL" should be default then? Why is "use the default media" the default option?
That's so it matches XenForo's default behaviour. Using a custom [URL] BBCode only works while the add-on is installed, so if you were try the add-on for a little while before uninstalling it, the videos posted while the add-on was enabled would turn into text links. Otherwise yes, if you intend to keep the add-on enabled the custom [URL] BBCode has a number of benefits.

The alternative would be to create a tool that converts one form to another, but that would take a while to implement and I'm not sure the benefit-cost ratio is there. The custom [URL] to [MEDIA] conversion used before uninstalling is straightforward, but the [MEDIA] to custom [URL] conversion is only possible there's a link to the original URL, and even then it's a bit fuzzy because the markup is configurable.

My point was that if this addon would add a source link with embed link in post content, it would end up posting two links in the above scenario when embeds do not work anymore. That does not happen, because the source link is created by the addon and is not added to post content.
That's correct and by the way, let me know if you happen to come across a situation where there's two links or zero links. It's theoretically possible but I don't know how likely that is in practice. I'm not aware of any way to trigger it as a user.

Installed this to fix my issue with x.com from twitter not embedding properly. Looks like it does a great job from what I can tell :)
Thanks, I go to great length to ensure that social media sites remain up to date, and that their content is displayed smoothly: quickly and with little to no content layout shift. Especially, I make a point to embed social media content without executing their JavaScript code on your domain so it doesn't interfere with the user experience.

I'm assuming if I ever uninstall this, I'll get back the default media sites (twitter, etc) as shipped with XF?
Yes, the default media sites are re-installed if the add-on is uninstalled. Anything that is supported by default in XenForo should still work.

p.s. donation sent
Awesome, thanks a lot. 👍

Yes, if the s9e.github.io domain is inaccessible then it won't be able to load that type of content. I can't recall the .io pages going down and they may still work while the .com domain has issues but that could happen. The .io pages are static and IIRC they're cached through CloudFlare so they should be safe from the reliability issues that can happen on the .com site.

Edit: corrected a typo, I meant to say that .io may work when .com is down.

Last edited:
@maquinn78 Many hosts have multiple versions of PHP as an option, but you have to manually change the version you want to use. Contact your web host about it, and if they don't have any version of PHP 8 available you may want to look for another host.

@maquinn78 Many hosts have multiple versions of PHP as an option, but you have to manually change the version you want to use. Contact your web host about it, and if they don't have any version of PHP 8 available you may want to look for another host.
I use Host Gator, I was blown away when they told me they aren't ready to upgrade to php 8.0. I just switched to them so I'm not moving again.

Does the update that made it so x.com links work properly require php 8?

Top Bottom