s9e Media Sites

s9e Media Sites 2.15.6

No permission to download
JoshyPHP updated s9e Media Sites with a new update entry:

New feature: Miniplayer

This update introduces a new experimental feature: a floating miniplayer. A button has been added to YouTube videos as well as other video players. When clicked, the video is minimized and floats in the bottom-right corner of the page. It allows the user to keep an eye on the video while reading the rest of the page. Closing the miniplayer or clicking on the video's original location returns it to normal.

View attachment 197496 View attachment 197497

Some details:
  • The miniplayer adds less than 1 KiB of JavaScript and less than 2 KiB of CSS. (unminified and uncompressed)
  • The feature is meant for desktop browsers and thus is only active in wide layout.
  • The button is intentionally placed outside the original player to avoid blocking its interface.
  • Leaving the page terminates the playback normally.
  • If you don't like the new feature, you can disable it in the add-on's options.

On a related topic, the add-on's CSS has been overhauled to better accomodate those changes and most of the inline CSS has been removed. Hopefully there shouldn't be any visual changes.

If you enjoy this add-on, please consider making a donation using the link in the add-on's description.
If there's anything you'd like to change, you can post your suggestion in the discussion thread. The layout and behaviour of the miniplayer will be tweaked based on feedback.

Read the rest of this update entry...

cool update.

on related note... would like to add here that youtube has internal support for popup player on chrome at least. you just need to double right-click on a video to get the option. it even works on embeds. i assume this feature in s9e is using the same web api.

Are you sure about YouTube's player? When I double-click a video it just goes fullscreen here.

The add-on doesn't use YouTube's API, it simply moves the iframe with CSS. That's why it requires very little JavaScript and it works with any provider, not just YouTube. There's no reason to minimize a tweet or a Google Doc, that's why I limited the feature to standard 640 x 360 embeds. That should more-or-less cover most video players.

I have looked into YouTube's API for future development. It could be used to automatically minimize any YouTube video that's currently playing as it's being scrolled out of the screen, but the API library adds a lot of JavaScript to the page and requires to keep track of more things. I'm not certain that's something I will implement but that's definitely something I will revisit later.

this feature was added in october last year. requires double RIGHT click on youtube video. internal support in chrome.

By the way, here's a trick for YouTube: right-click twice on the playing video and pick "Picture in picture".

Not a web standard yet though.

Oh right, my eyes skipped over the "right" part. Yeah, Picture-in-Picture is a nice feature although it regularly crashes my browser for some reason. It's not specific to YouTube, it's part of the browser's native video player so it's theoretically possible to enable it within every video player out there, assuming the site doesn't cover the whole player with an overlay.

One our Mac and Safari user reported that Facebook and Youtube videos dont start to play. Twitter videos sometimes works. Have you any idea, what can be a problem?

Did you enter your Affilliate ID in the add-on's option? Send me a link to a page of your forums where there's an Amazon embed, I'll take a look.

There seems to be a bug with the Instagram embedding if the url of the Instagram post has certain symbols or characters in.

Certain embeds are appearing like this, even though the image shows up fine on instagram and has not been removed:

As you can see in the source, somewhere between the embed code and the actual iframe generated the - character has been lost from the image url.

Top Bottom