s9e Media Sites

s9e Media Sites 2.15.6

No permission to download
@JoshyPHP - I'm trying to find a way to add a few AUDIO media links to our SEARCH. Like, if someone wants to find threads with Soundcloud, Bandcamp, Dropbox, Mediafire, attachments with mp3s, etc?

@AndyB - any idea? I checked the Advanced Search addon but didn't see these options.

Last edited:
I've never had to deal with XenForo's search engine, I assume you'd need a custom add-on to extend it. Maybe add some metadata to the search index to denote a thread is related to audio.

As far as this add-on is concerned, I generate the configuration for those media sites based on a set of XML files that contain more information than is required by XenForo's system. For instance, if you look into the source files you can find elements such as <tag>music</tag> or <tag>podcasts</tag> which will denote that the site is related to those things. Here's the original file for Bandcamp for example. That can help you find which sites are related to audio and tag threads accordingly.

I've never had to deal with XenForo's search engine, I assume you'd need a custom add-on to extend it. Maybe add some metadata to the search index to denote a thread is related to audio.

As far as this add-on is concerned, I generate the configuration for those media sites based on a set of XML files that contain more information than is required by XenForo's system. For instance, if you look into the source files you can find elements such as <tag>music</tag> or <tag>podcasts</tag> which will denote that the site is related to those things. Here's the original file for Bandcamp for example. That can help you find which sites are related to audio and tag threads accordingly.
Thanks Joshy, I'll keep looking for an addon. Maybe your information will help! :)

... I'm trying to find a way to add a few AUDIO media links to our SEARCH. Like, if someone wants to find threads with Soundcloud, Bandcamp, Dropbox, Mediafire, attachments with mp3s, etc?

... any idea? I checked the Advanced Search addon but didn't see these options.

Did you try searching for "media=xxx" with AndyB's advanced search? (replace xxx with the media code from Joshy's add on). It works on my forum. AndyB's advanced search will return posts that have the media=xxx BB code.

Did you try searching for "media=xxx" with AndyB's advanced search? (replace xxx with the media code from Joshy's add on). It works on my forum. AndyB's advanced search will return posts that have the media=xxx BB code.

Sorry, which code from Joshy's addon?

If you have the "Media embeds BB code" set to "Use the default [MEDIA] BB code" in the options for s9e Media add on, you can look (in the ACP) at Content > BB code media sites. Select an option like SoundCloud. You will then see the "Media site ID" ("soundcloud" for SoundCloud). You can then use AndyB's advance search to search posts for "media=soundcloud" and you should find all posts with the media bb code referencing SoundCloud.

Is it possible to add a fancy "join" button for when someone posts a Discord invite? Something that looks nice, compared to just a link?

We have a single board that allows people with 25+ posts to post a single advertisement thread, and if they post a discord invite, we'll allow it in that ONE thread, but not elsewhere. Having a nice-looking button could entice more clicks.

Adding support for a fancy "Guilded invite" button would be nice too, but it's a newer platform gaining traction.

Is it possible to add a fancy "join" button for when someone posts a Discord invite?
That's not something I'd consider in the scope of this add-on. I focus on embedding content, and this is more of a cosmetic feature. IMO it would be better handled as part of a Discord-centric add-on.

Note that you can also create a custom media site for yourself, using Xenforo's admin panel.

Note that you can also create a custom media site for yourself, using Xenforo's admin panel.
Don't understand more than basic css. That's my upper limit of knowledge.

That's not something I'd consider in the scope of this add-on. I focus on embedding content, and this is more of a cosmetic feature. IMO it would be better handled as part of a Discord-centric add-on.
Neither of the current ones (nix or 8wr) offer it, so I was wondering. Since I can't code (cept extremely basic CSS stuff), I wouldn't be able to make that happen myself.

Also can't afford (unemployed) to hire someone to make it, but since discord is super popular, was hoping. Oh well, no button then unless one of the two addons decide to add it themselves. I'll leave it alone at that.

JoshyPHP updated s9e Media Sites with a new update entry:

Added support for embedding external XenForo 2.3 content

XenForo 2.3 adds a new feature allowing public content to be embedded in any page. This update adds support for your forum to embed the publicly accessible content of any XenForo 2.3+ forum that has enabled this feature.

How to configure: go to your admin panel, go either to this add-on's options or to the XenForo entry in the BB code media sites menu, then add the hostname of the XenForo 2.3+ forum you want to embed from. Make sure that the target website runs XenForo 2.3, which at this time is a very short list.

xenforo23.webp

Read the rest of this update entry...

heh. i think 2.3 is only installed here for now. installed it. tested it on my board. and it works as intended. some links did not convert into embed code right away and had to be reposted. also looks like non embeddable links do not result in a fake embed (like node links) which is nice though might need some more testing. thanks for this. i never thought i would need this but it's good to have!

too bad the embed ui is black background which might not look great on black themes. i hope that xenforo improves upon the embed ui with time because right now, it is not that great.

installed it. tested it on my board.
I don't see it in the list of download, is there a special beta testing program?

also looks like non embeddable links do not result in a fake embed (like node links)
Mind telling me more about that? I'm not sure what a node link is, as I don't administer a XenForo forum myself. I understand that most public pages in XF are "nodes" but is there a non-thread type of page that is incorrectly embedded? Otherwise, if you're talking about non-public stuff then yeah, that's expected even if that's not ideal. It would be possible to test whether the page is public in order to avoid those false positives (a URL incorrectly identified as public) but the other side of that coin is if the target forum uses Cloudflare and your server receives a CAPTCHA challenge then it will prevent any embed.

With regards to dark themes, I haven't looked into it yet. It doesn't look like XenForo's embeds support forcing light vs dark, but if they do then I'll add support for it.

i meant, i installed and tested the updated addon on my board. and as for second point, i was just saying that link to forums like https://xenforo.com/community/forums/add-on-releases-2-x.95/ appear as regular unfurled links and not empty embeds which is nice. on some services like imgur.com, certain urls can result in dead embeds (for example https://imgur.com/upload) coz they match the url structure of embeddable content.

all is well basically. i was just saying, it works as intended. thank you!

I don't know what H5P is, as far as I can tell it's not on the list of supported sites. If you're trying to upload your own videos, that's not in the scope of this add-on. Check out XenForo Media Gallery, see if that's what you're looking for.

I don't know what H5P is, as far as I can tell it's not on the list of supported sites. If you're trying to upload your own videos, that's not in the scope of this add-on. Check out XenForo Media Gallery, see if that's what you're looking for.
h5p.org

Yeah, no, that's not a website that provides content to be embedded. This add-on only works with sites like YouTube, etc...

I'm sorry but I can't communicate like this; It's just taking too much of my time. If you want to sponsor the addition of a website, you can send me a direct message with your budget and I'll look into it. Otherwise, I suggest asking in the support forum if someone can help you create a custom media site for your forums. That's a default XenForo feature that does not require this add-on.

Top Bottom