Implemented  - RSS Import/Feeder

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Wonderful suggestion! Was already looking for an AddOn :)

Brentnauer is totally right when he asks for an "omit from recent activity" option to prevent from flooding the recent activity.

SMF has a feature where you can "ignore" the new posts and threads in selected forums. Thing is, this is done by individual user, so you would either have to tell everyone about it regularly (I mean, who reads forum rules anyway? :D ), or just periodically do a manual database update to switch the forum settings over to private.

One thing I do, also, is set up my RSS feeds to go into a specific forum area, then let users opt in if they want to be able to read that area. For those who don't care about news feeds, they can skip it entirely. Those who want them can join our "News" group on their own and read. And of course, ignore the forums if they don't want to see news flooding their "unread posts".

So yes...we definitely could use incoming RSS feeds, but whether it's built in or an add-on, I'll leave that up to our gracious hosts. :D

The only issue I've ever had with RSS feeds in forums is that it completely floods the recent activity and what's new pages.

If this were added, it'd be wonderful to have a "omit from recent activity" option, or at least some way to mitigate the massive amount of content when trying to see what other, living, members are up to.

I have no practice with using an RSS feed importer, but this may also be a concern with me (not quite sure yet).

It was also be nice to add some parsing capabilities as well.
For example most feeds with a URL will redirect your visitor to the news site, I add target="_blank" to all inbound URLs

Awesome!

Now if K&M could have some *ahem* free time... :)

EDIT...

I didn't realize this was also a precurser to letting us know beta 6 was released!
LOLOL

Thanks!

Is it just me or are the 2 first example-feeds provided in the upper screenshot here of the new Feeder quite amusing
biggrin.png
? I mean... we all know that both BBC and The Register took a certain kind of interest in the forum-world as of recently... ;)

The implemented feeder is great, although I have a suggestion.

Feeds to push content inside individual threads. I'd rather not spam up an entire subforum with articles.

Or, "link forums" to allow feeder use and just putting the thread url there.

The implemented feeder is great, although I have a suggestion.

Feeds to push content inside individual threads. I'd rather not spam up an entire subforum with articles.

Or, "link forums" to allow feeder use and just putting the thread url there.

I created an "Articles" forum and then put all the RSS feeds in there.
(it's also why I pestered Jaxel for a method to remove a forum from the RecentThreads module)
:-)

Top Bottom