1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Implemented - RSS Import/Feeder

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by AmericanForum.com, Sep 18, 2010.

1. AmericanForum.com

AmericanForum.com Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if K&M already programmed the possibility to import RRS feeds into specific forums.

I use this feature with one of my IPB forums and love it because it allows us to fill

our forum with useful content and its all automated. :) 

FredC, Cory Booth, Boofhead and 34 others like this.
  2. James

James Well-Known Member

Agreed. I have the current X Factor videos being grabbed via RSS to my vB3.8 forum so my users can comment on them directly :)

AmericanForum.com likes this.
  3. Salty

Salty Active Member

Good idea~

4. Luke F

Luke F Well-Known Member

This is a very important feature for a lot of forums, mine included. I'd rather not have to mod it in myself.

bogus and AmericanForum.com like this.
  5. AmericanForum.com

AmericanForum.com Well-Known Member

We definitely need this one in the core like IPB :)

6. steven s

steven s Well-Known Member

I really need this too. It's another way to provide content.

7. kprojects

kprojects Well-Known Member

I'd also like to see this...

8. silendreamer

silendreamer Active Member

In addition to just importing the feeds, it would be even more awesome if there could be some way to post the RSS feeds via cron jobs. So instead of posting all the new posts at once (like how vB does right now) it would be better to post them after a certain period of time. Like if RSS feed imports 10 posts, then we can schedule the posts to get posted into the forum every 1 hr or every 15 mins etc. This would make the search engines to visit the forum more often as we now have much frequently updated content.

erich37, Lenin, Markos and 1 other person like this.
  9. glorify

glorify Well-Known Member

+1 for this.

10. Xarcell

Xarcell Well-Known Member

I'd like to see a RSS Feeder as a add-on.

A RSS Feeder is a bot that allows you to supply a rss or xml feed, where each item is posted as a new topic, in a selected board, by a select user, via admin.

I didn't see a mod like this for vb, but there are 2 for SMF. http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1590

It's a must have for some, as it helps build content for a forum.

steven s likes this.
  11. bambua

bambua Well-Known Member

This was actually a built in for vb, and I hope it's something that makes it over.

12. Xarcell

Xarcell Well-Known Member

Yes, I hope so too.

It would be a must have for my xbox site, and cannot convert to xF until it's available. Everything else can come later...

13. Brentnauer

Brentnauer Well-Known Member

The only issue I've ever had with RSS feeds in forums is that it completely floods the recent activity and what's new pages.

If this were added, it'd be wonderful to have a "omit from recent activity" option, or at least some way to mitigate the massive amount of content when trying to see what other, living, members are up to.

14. steven s

steven s Well-Known Member

15. Brentnauer

Brentnauer Well-Known Member

Posted this in http://xenforo.com/community/threads/suggestion-rss-feeder.6203 but I'll post it here too:

The only issue I've ever had with RSS feeds in forums is that it completely floods the recent activity and what's new pages.

If this were added, it'd be wonderful to have a "omit from recent activity" option, or at least some way to mitigate the massive amount of content when trying to see what other, living, members are up to.

lightbox likes this.
  16. Cory Booth

Cory Booth Well-Known Member

I thought this would have already been in there.
    If not...

+1

17. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Well-Known Member

Definitely something that should be 'built-in' :)

Markos, Peggy and AmericanForum.com like this.
  18. bogus

bogus Guest

Agree with this too. Helped me a lot at my old board to get some content into it and with it also some more Users. An absolutly MUSThave, in my opinion

19. lightbox

lightbox Active Member

Wonderful suggestion! Was already looking for an AddOn :)

Brentnauer is totally right when he asks for an "omit from recent activity" option to prevent from flooding the recent activity.

Cheers,
    Martin

20. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

I really need this, and most big boards and company forums that I know, use rss feeds into forums.
    +1.