XF 2.2 RSS Importer: How To Prevent First Time Flood

trigatch4

Whenever I try using the XF2.2 RSS importer, my forum is flooded with ALL items from the RSS feed the first time it runs. This creates a lot of manual work to delete the threads whenever I add/change my RSS Feeds.

Is there a way to prevent existing RSS feeds from importing and instead, making sure that only new feeds from that point forward are imported?

There's still manual work involved, but you could uncheck "Post immediately" so that the new threads first go into the approval queue. From there you can approve or delete depending on which entries you want to start with.

Once you're satisfied that you're only receiving new content, you can go back in and re-enable "Post immediately".

There's still manual work involved, but you could uncheck "Post immediately" so that the new threads first go into the approval queue. From there you can approve or delete depending on which entries you want to start with.

Once you're satisfied that you're only receiving new content, you can go back in and re-enable "Post immediately".
Then I guess I have a suggestion?
-- By default, only new items in RSS feed (dated after last save) are imported
-- Previous RSS items only imported when you click "Import Now"

Don't understand the logic behind the current implementation but probably for a use case other than mine. Thanks for the quick reply!

Whenever I try using the XF2.2 RSS importer, my forum is flooded with ALL items from the RSS feed the first time it runs. This creates a lot of manual work to delete the threads whenever I add/change my RSS Feeds.

Is there a way to prevent existing RSS feeds from importing and instead, making sure that only new feeds from that point forward are imported?
An alternative would be to use something like the "RSS Feed Filter" add-on currently by @Ozzy47. [option 1] The first time you're setting up a new RSS feed have the settings configured to dump all of the entries posted to a single thread; then when you're sure that all entries have been imported and you're ready for just new entries you can delete the single giant thread & change the settings back to create the entries in new individual threads as normal. [option 2] Another option with using that add-on would be you can use the "post limit" option to restrict how many new entries are imported at a time. [option 3] And/or you can use the add-on to filter entries that only match specified keywords.

So if you know you only want to new entries going forward, use option 1. If you do want all of the entries but you don't want them flooding you all at once, use option 2 and it'll eventually catch up to be current. If you only want certain entries, then combine option 3 with either option 1 or 2 so that only matching entries are imported.

Top Bottom