RM 1.0 RM Article Manager

Morgain

This is a thread for those interested in the RM as an articles manager.

One issue is multiple pages, but I have contacted a good developer who will look at how to do this.

I have made a rough mockup of a page design - attached below. {UPDATED to show current condition 30/03/13]
Some can be done in Phrases, some needs css. I will probably need help!

updated mockup.webp

Import (from eg the unfinished waindigo library) can be done manually using Chris Deeming;s addons to reassign the original date, and thread.
The author is I think OK to assign in the RM native functions.

Attachments

• RM Article2.webp
    RM Article2.webp
    70.4 KB · Views: 180
Please bear in mind I am not a developer offering to do an addon. I'm an admin with a fair grasp of what is possible, and knowledge of very basic css and includes.

Would it be possible to remove the border and make the navigation buttons look much more like the XF default page navigation? (and move to bottom of course) - then it would do it.

Remove which border?

I cannot view videos here right now - but buttons can be edited in css. Find the code for the button you like, copy it under the existing button code.To test code if it is what you want comment out a likely part! and test view.
Substitute the function parts to the new button. When you have tested it as working, <xen comment> out the old button - never delete.
For problems post in the tweaking forum.

Similarly copy/ paste all the new button code to the bottom - prob struggle with exact placing ! then delete the version at top. delete is OK here as not deleting original code and it's already tested as working. You still have original as backup.

How about the removal of the side bar and full width articles? Is this easily done?

Yes.
I have not got RM installed yet but it's probably like the standard XF sidebar.
That is a separate sidebar template. The template for the main page will have a code command which calls in the sidebar template. So you comment out that call and you have no sidebar displayed.

How about keeping a name for the pages. Like 'Intro', 'body of work', 'conclusion'.

I think it would be possible but it would be coding by my developer or another.
I assume you mean having a set of page names always the same for all your articles. That would mean replacing the 1 - 2 and 3 pagination with your names, plus a conditional to make this happen only on this RM page type.

I assume you mean having a set of page names always the same for all your articles. That would mean replacing the 1 - 2 and 3 pagination with your names, plus a conditional to make this happen only on this RM page type.
Nope, I mean the article writer choosing what the page name should be. Something like where you can insert a page tag to break the page.

[page="Comparison Score"]
[page="Conclusion"]

Remove which border?

I cannot view videos here right now - but buttons can be edited in css. Find the code for the button you like, copy it under the existing button code.To test code if it is what you want comment out a likely part! and test view.
Substitute the function parts to the new button. When you have tested it as working, <xen comment> out the old button - never delete.

Similarly copy/ paste all the new button code to the bottom - prob struggle with exact placing ! then delete the version at top. delete is OK here as not deleting original code and it's already tested as working. You still have original as backup.

I meant this border below, but stewart1champ has already answered that. I do know how to remove it (hopefully), but I wasn't aware if there is any limitations with the add-on.

multiple.webp

Please bear in mind I am not a developer offering to do an addon. I'm an admin with a fair grasp of what is possible, and knowledge of very basic css and includes.

Remove which border?

Yes.
I have not got RM installed yet but it's probably like the standard XF sidebar.
That is a separate sidebar template. The template for the main page will have a code command which calls in the sidebar template. So you comment out that call and you have no sidebar displayed.

I think it would be possible but it would be coding by my developer or another.
It appears that maybe you have stewart1champ on "Ignore".

View his posts, he has a very viable solution for you which the others were commenting on (that's why it seemed out of context).

Note - in case anyone wants an example of what I (and maybe some others?) want and need, my current articles are still in EE, but I manually created my index because I was too lazy to categorize properly over the years!

http://www.hearth.com/what/specific.php

that's my main articles page. It's really the last big piece I still have in EE. As you will see, I don't have discussions or comments about them, but that's probably a good addition. Also, I do have a like tool which is handy....example of page:
http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/reline_masonry_chimney/

My EE system has the following stuff which helps me.....
1. I can break any article into pages with a tag inserted in the code.
2. Articles have two parts of body text - regular and extended - which allows the placement of banners, etc. in the middle.
3. I can use css to place text link boxes in the middle of articles.
4. Images can easily be placed right, left, center, wrapped or not, etc.

Other than that, there is a ideal of a good index page or categories. A forum layout may be confusing to some people, so a widget based category layout for the interface would be neat!

Just posting this as an example of real-world articles which have worked for me for a decade!

It appears that maybe you have stewart1champ on "Ignore".

View his posts, he has a very viable solution for you which the others were commenting on (that's why it seemed out of context).

I did put him on ignore a while ago when he was a bit obsessive at picking at me ... seemed a quiet way to duck out from under ... but I stopped it ... but now he's disappeared completely and I don't even see that he's posted.

Nope, I mean the article writer choosing what the page name should be. Something like where you can insert a page tag to break the page.

[page="Comparison Score"]
[page="Conclusion"]
I'm sure that can be done but would need a code snippet from someone.

Note - in case anyone wants an example of what I (and maybe some others?) want and need, my current articles are still in EE, but I manually created my index because I was too lazy to categorize properly over the years!
http://www.hearth.com/what/specific.php

What's EE?

That's because you must still have him on ignore...

multiple-png.42755

Basically there's a [tabs] bbcode add-on that can be used in RM content. It could be a way to get pseudo-pagination within RM content.

Looks like a promising start. I think I'd prefer to have a separate add-on then butchering the RM to do it, but it's good for people wanting one or the other :)

THIS should be strongly considered - that is, is this really the best framework for articles? Hopefully this discussion and some trials will determine if it will fit some needs.

Top Bottom