Not planned Resources - try before you buy

Stuart Wright

I would like to suggest an official method of allowing developers to implement a 'try before you buy' option to their paid resources.
Some code which enables the resource for a limited period of time (decided by the developer), and then disables it until purchased. Pointless me even considering how this might be implemented cos Mike & Kier would know the best way.

I think this would be a very useful way of increasing addon sales. I think lots of people would like to try addons to see if they work on their forums or not, but are put off by even a modest purchase price.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Any system like this is just asking to be worked around.

We effectively offer all of our add-ons to commercial users on a try before you buy basis and trust that commercial users will contact us if they wish to then purchase a license. I am very aware that we are losing a lot of money by doing this, however I prefer this to the alternative of not allowing the community to try before they buy, not allowing non-commercial sites from using add-ons that they would otherwise be unable to afford and hiding code from other developers who are keen to learn how to code add-ons.

It is only thanks to the generosity of the whole community, including yourself, that I can afford to do this though. So rather than implementing a system that will get worked around, we need to just encourage the community to continue to support developers who do offer a try before you buy option. This is what I would like to see Mike & Kier actively supporting. Hopefully the new 'Featured' system will be used as one way of doing this.

There's really no way this can be done feasibly. The code is visible so any limits can be removed trivially.

It'd either be up to the add-on devs to do a "lite" version if they think it's worthwhile, an admin demo, or simply allow users who ask to try it out pre-purchase (honor system mostly).

Personally I think XF should go for an app store like approach - where XF takes all the money and gives 60% to the dev and keeps 40% themselves. However, they would need to review code to make sure it is 'safe' and follows XF programming guidelines (so less chance of breaking things).

Also maybe advise/put a cap on prices, there are some costly plugins which may be hurting XF because it means XF ends up being more expensive to get features other platforms get by default.

XF could take on staff for reviewing these submissions - which I think would get covered by the 40% cut.

It would mean more sales, better plugins, and possibly cheaper too - and people should be able to get refunds if they don't work, so covers the problem you are facing at the mo.

There's really no way this can be done feasibly. The code is visible so any limits can be removed trivially.

How about allowing addons to be installed onto the demo here?

It might still be a pain but if you had a pre-configured demo environment which allowed all participating developers to have their addons installed (but maybe disabled by default), it'd then just be a case of someone clicking to enable their chosen addon.

It'd mean no access to code, etc but might be more hassle than it's worth.

There are hundreds of add-ons and no-one other then Mike and Kier have access to the server to be able to upload the files and install the add-ons.

Installing hundreds of add-ons into a demo is a bad idea for a start as there are bound to be issues (many add-ons have bugs), not to mention it's not a good use of their time.

So that means giving access to someone else to do it and possibly even do it on a per demo basis.
Again, a potentially full time job based on how many admin demos would request that.

I can hear Ashley crying from here :p

I don't think your maths anywhere near stacks up.

Why?

It works for Apple :p

Here, one full time dev, or multiple paid hackers/mods could help out.

It would be a big plus for XF as it would mean better quality plugins, which would mean more user trust, which means XF is seen as a better product all round.

It works for Apple because they are huge and the platform for development is even bigger. Comparing XenForo to Apple is an inappropriate comparison.

There are hundreds of add-ons and no-one other then Mike and Kier have access to the server to be able to upload the files and install the add-ons.

But the top 10 (in terms of downloads from the RM) would work. Out of the hundreds of addons that are available I'd argue there are less than 20 that actually "do" anything that'd need an admin demo.

Like I said, more hassle than it's worth probably :p

Top Bottom