If you start editing before the 5 minutes has expired, but finish after 5 minutes, you get an error message:
The time limit to edit this message (5 minutes) has expired.
- The user often can not or doesn't know how to retrieve his edits.
- It makes my users upset.
I understand the complexities of a fix, so I recommend doing something to warn people.
My suggested improvements:
- A countdown timer: when the time expires, gray out the "Save Changes" button, maybe putting a message, too. Do the same for the Edit link when viewing an existing message.
- Show the timer if there is less than 10 minutes remaining. (We don't need to see the timer if there are 23 hours remaining.)
- I only tested this in a Conversation. I have not tested it in a Post.
- Also, when viewing a new Conversation, the Edit button remains and continues to work after 5 minutes have past.
- XF 1.4.9