Lack of interest time expires before you finish editing => bad error message

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

rebelde

On our forums, we have a limit of 5 minutes to edit a personal conversation message.

If you start editing before the 5 minutes has expired, but finish after 5 minutes, you get an error message:
The time limit to edit this message (5 minutes) has expired.​

Problems:
- The user often can not or doesn't know how to retrieve his edits.
- It makes my users upset.

I understand the complexities of a fix, so I recommend doing something to warn people.

My suggested improvements:
- A countdown timer: when the time expires, gray out the "Save Changes" button, maybe putting a message, too. Do the same for the Edit link when viewing an existing message.
- Show the timer if there is less than 10 minutes remaining. (We don't need to see the timer if there are 23 hours remaining.)

Some notes:
- I only tested this in a Conversation. I have not tested it in a Post.
- Also, when viewing a new Conversation, the Edit button remains and continues to work after 5 minutes have past.
- XF 1.4.9

Cheers

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I'm going to say this is more of a specific suggestion, as the error message and behavior is as expected: once the time limit has triggered, the content can't be edited and an appropriate error message is displayed. There isn't really anything to fix there, though some UI cues could be added to indicate when this has passed.

Thanks, Mike. That is what I am suggesting, or trying to: give them some sort of clue that the timer has passed and let them retrieve their edits to put them in a new message.

Just curious about this kind of restrictions on forums.
What's the reason behind of this kind of limits / controls in private conversations?

Just curious about this kind of restrictions on forums.
What's the reason behind of this kind of limits / controls in private conversations?

While I don't set that tight of a restriction on edits (I generally allow it for 48 hours), by restricting edits after a period of time, it prevents the drama queens from going back and wrecking threads by editing out their posts.

Until certain point and depends of the board that's reasonable in threads.
But not in private conversations. IMO.

Moved to suggestions? Should I take that to mean that nothing will be done? I guess so.

I will have to create my own fix. It really is quite annoying to my users.

Top Bottom