Resource Manager not noticed or understood

I dont mind answering the questions pointing where to find addons. I just think it's nicer when people dont have to ask.
Plus some people hate asking fpr help!

I dont mind answering the questions pointing where to find addons. I just think it's nicer when people dont have to ask.
Plus some people hate asking fpr help!

I know. You were kind enough to help me out with my first questions. I was just making the point that in some cases it might seem like people hadn't already checked the addon's, when in fact they had but just didn't find what they were looking for. You're a lot more familiar with what's available, where exactly to find it, etc., than a newcomer. :)

I think something simple like just listing "Modifications/Addon's" and "Styles" in the Resources submenu might be helpful. It's not going to take most people long to get around to clicking Resources to see what it's about, but they'll probably only do that after first looking for addon's and styles specifically, including perhaps searching for them on the forums.

History has shown that that just doesn't quite work. Even when the menu is called "Customize" and contains a dropdown including both "Mods" and "Themes" options. Some people just want it done for them :(

History has shown that that just doesn't quite work. Even when the menu is called "Customize" and contains a dropdown including both "Mods" and "Themes" options. Some people just want it done for them :(

Okay, I guess that's as good a reason as any not to try at all. :sleep:

That's the thing, it's not a hypothetical argument, it's one from several years of experience on a forum ;)

That's the thing, it's not a hypothetical argument, it's one from several years of experience on a forum ;)

Well, I'm not saying there's no truth in what you said, but at the same time it doesn't make much sense asserting that anything you do is as good as any other. Obviously, some ways of going things are better than others. ;)

Well, I'm not saying there's no truth in what you said, but at the same time it doesn't make much sense asserting that anything you do is as good as any other. Obviously, some ways of going things are better than others. ;)

I had absolutely no involvement in how SMF arranged things on their site. I'm just saying that they did what you suggested and it didn't help the (same) problem at hand, and in their case they've had it that way for years now and people still don't understand where to find mods or themes.

@Arantor

Meant to say, though, it's good to see you over here. Hope you'll eventually be working some addon magic. ;)

Isn't going to happen, sorry. I hold licenses for all the major paid forum software, haven't written any add-ons for any of them for the fairly obvious reason that it doesn't make sense if you know a bit more about me and what I do ;)

I had absolutely no involvement in how SMF arranged things on their site. I'm just saying that they did what you suggested and it didn't help the (same) problem at hand, and in their case they've had it that way for years now and people still don't understand where to find mods or themes.

Umm, sorry, I don't recall saying anything about how SMF arranged their site or implying that you had any involvement in it, and I wasn't even aware that at any point they did as I suggested. I don't recall their menu ever being different than how it is now. I wasn't thinking of SMF at all at any point in any of this until I saw your name, which I recognized from their community. And apparently I don't know much about you, because I was under the impression that once upon a time you wrote addon's for SMF, but chalk it up to my bad memory. ;)

Um... if you went to SMF's community, you'd see the Customize menu at the top of the page... which has been there for the last 4 years or near enough and that's where all the mods and plugins are. You were kind of suggesting I did what you're suggesting; I didn't, had nothing to do with it whatsoever. Just saying that's what they've done for years and it isn't working.

Oh, I wrote many add-ons for SMF but the fact that I'm working on something else that is a rival is why I'm not going to be writing any add-ons for SMF, XenForo or anything else any time soon...

Um... if you went to SMF's community, you'd see the Customize menu at the top of the page... which has been there for the last 4 years or near enough and that's where all the mods and plugins are. You were kind of suggesting I did what you're suggesting; I didn't, had nothing to do with it whatsoever. Just saying that's what they've done for years and it isn't working.

Oh, I wrote many add-ons for SMF but the fact that I'm working on something else that is a rival is why I'm not going to be writing any add-ons for SMF, XenForo or anything else any time soon...

You're losing me. I didn't suggest you ever did or should do anything about anyone's menu or navigation, whether on SMF or here or anywhere else. I simply thought you used to write some addon's for SMF and was hoping you might do some for Xenforo, as an aside to welcoming you to the site. One thing had nothing to do with the other. Sorry if you read more in to it.

But now that you mention it, yes, maybe the SMF menu suffers from the same problem as the one here, they might be too ambiguous for a lot of people, especially if they've no experience of such things. Maybe it would be better to just have a menu item that was direct and to the point: "Xenforo Optional Addon's and Styles", or whatever. Or maybe, as has also been suggested, those items could be put on a side panel of the page, in big type and in bold, where it would seem to be unlikely that many people could miss them. In any case, I've said all I have to say on the matter. Peace out :cool:

Eh, all I was trying to do was suggest why a suggestion wouldn't work based on evidence of a similar site with a similar problem. Pardon me for backing my arguments up with something more than guesswork.

Top Bottom