The Resource Manager add-on should not be free

How much would you be willing to pay for the Resource Manager?

• $10 - $20

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • $20 - $50

Votes: 37 32.5%
  • $70

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • I need it, but I will not buy it

Votes: 28 24.6%
  • I have no need of a Resource Manager

Votes: 24 21.1%

• Total voters
My personal take on add-ons (or indeed any product) is that the price should be beyond fair - that's the only way you'll add real value not just to your core product but your brand as a whole.

Sometimes free is a great price too - just because you're giving something away doesn't mean you get nothing in return - there's always value in doing anything/going above and beyond your customers expectations.

If this is going to be a requirement for installing addons I personally definitely do think it should be free, moreover it should be included with XenForo as a native feature. To me Extensibility is a nr 1 requirement in a forum solution, I don't mind paying more for it, but I personally hate it when products get cut up into little pieces that you can then purchase separately.

If this is going to be a requirement for installing addons I personally definitely do think it should be free, moreover it should be included with XenForo as a native feature. To me Extensibility is a nr 1 requirement in a forum solution, I don't mind paying more for it, but I personally hate it when products get cut up into little pieces that you can then purchase separately.

I think you've misunderstood, this is nothing to do with the ability to install addons. This is basically a download manager so that addons on here can be organised and downloaded. It would also allow sites that require it to have their own download areas (for a fee) or any of the other uses that it can be put to.

I think you've misunderstood, this is nothing to do with the ability to install addons. This is basically a download manager so that addons on here can be organised and downloaded. It would also allow sites that require it to have their own download areas (for a fee) or any of the other uses that it can be put to.
A good clarification. Most forums don't need one, which is why it wouldn't make sense to just add it to the core software. But for those who do, a modest fee, no more than $50 per XF license, would seem to make sense, particularly for those forums that profit from what is offered via downloads.

I see, thanks. If that's the case then I personally see no reason why charging for it would be wrong, seeing as it doesn't really count as a core feature.

I think I will be dropping Xenforo if they make these paid - I can't believe their already (since they are so new) making enhancements and wanting to charge extra for them. If you have to make an ad-on to make a feature better, then your not doing your job correct the first time.

XenForo Enhanced Search (XFES) really a paid-ad on?

I will give Xenforo Another 6 months to see the their direction - then its back to VB.

Just my Opinion - DONT HATE!

I've paid out over $550 so far just to have custom things made to do what VB already does.

I think I will be dropping Xenforo if they make these paid - I can't believe their already (since they are so new) making enhancements and wanting to charge extra for them. If you have to make an ad-on to make a feature better, then your not doing your job correct the first time.

XenForo Enhanced Search (XFES) really a paid-ad on?

I will give Xenforo Another 6 months to see the their direction - then its back to VB.

Just my Opinion - DONT HATE!

I've paid out over $550 so far just to have custom things made to do what VB already does.
It should be paid for. It is an additional piece of functionality to the core forum software. XFES is worth it's money. I was an alpha tester and was given a free licence yet I chose to purchase a real licence and show my support for an addon which is outside the normal of any forum software. Show me a forum "script" that does not use MySQL for full text indexing which doesn't charge for the enhanced functionality. Today I have been searching for scripts that mimic another service, even the free ones I found then charge you to connect to FaceBook and other services. Really it is nothing new.

You are simply purchasing something which shows quality and, this is the keyword, integrates, into the CORE product you have purchased. Users can still download from XenForo, ie you can upload attachments and others can download them. The Resource Manager will just take it a step further and provide a better experience than the CORE product.

It really is practical and sound business sense. Most other software vendors do the same. MS has several versions of their OS and OFFICE products which differ in functionality depending on what you pay for it. Why should XenForo be any different?

If you believe that vBulletin is best for your forum then go for it, migrate back to that platform. Just remember this, you are using software which is produced by a commercial Company and hence will follow standard Business practice. Luckily for those that decide to stay, the core developers are two of the best :)

I think, some users have a wrong point of view to this add on.

This AddOn is to present your Community Ressources, you did not need this, to use Ressources like AddOns and other thinks. It's like a Download Manager.

It's far away from standard forum software, and don't need to be implemented.

If I pay for an AddOn, I prefer to buy it, at the Core Team. No One can write better AddOns.

I was referring to the Enhanced Search.

But if you must really want to know what im upset with is the only two developers are making paid add-ons now when they should be fixing some issues they have already.

I have to delete 200+ PM's (Conversations I know) a week - spending 2 hours clicking through them. Why not fix that first? Its not technically broken, but its a pain in the ass when you get as much as I do - and I curse at xenforo everytime I have to do it.

Another thing that needs to be added is message pruning, or user pruning - wait are they going to make those an add-on too, since its not part of the core?

Do these things before making Paid Add-ons. Hell this is Xenforos first year - its not good to start nickle and diming us so quickly when the software is still so new.

Which core feature do you think the Resource Manager is replacing or improving?

I was referring to the Enhanced Search.

But if you must really want to know what im upset with is the only two developers are making paid add-ons now when they should be fixing some issues they have already.

I have to delete 200+ PM's (Conversations I know) a week - spending 2 hours clicking through them. Why not fix that first? Its not technically broken, but its a pain in the ass when you get as much as I do - and I curse at xenforo everytime I have to do it.

Another thing that needs to be added is message pruning, or user pruning - wait are they going to make those an add-on too, since its not part of the core?

Do these things before making Paid Add-ons. Hell this is Xenforos first year - its not good to start nickle and diming us so quickly when the software is still so new.

Ok, in order:
  • Why are you deleting PMs? Surely that is the task of the user themselves?
  • Message pruning/user pruning should be part of the core.
Technically nothing is broken in the current version of XenForo, it just needs enhancements made to it to be better. Remember it is not version 10.23 or 8.7, it is 1.1.1. That means it is very young in the lifecycle of the software. In my opinion you should not have migrated or used this software if these issues would cause problems for you, personally, I have been using vbulletin since version 1 and I still migrated and have not had a single complaint from my admins/moderators.

Top Bottom