The Resource Manager add-on should not be free

How much would you be willing to pay for the Resource Manager?

• $10 - $20

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • $20 - $50

Votes: 37 32.5%
  • $70

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • I need it, but I will not buy it

Votes: 28 24.6%
  • I have no need of a Resource Manager

Votes: 24 21.1%

• Total voters
See, threads like this is what caused Internet Brands to charge vB4's Suite for exactly $285.

How much do you think XenForo is worth? Not how much can you afford but what value do you think it has? What's the upper limit you'd pay before deciding you'd rather use phpbb or something free?

I've just bought a skin from XenFocus and feel a bit embarrassed that I've got a very professional skin that looks amazing for $30 (and is easily customisable to look pretty unique) when a custom design would costs hundreds or even thousands. I'll definitely be going back there for any other skins I need.

I appreciate that not everyone can afford this but busy forums already costs hundreds if not thousands a month in hosting. It seems a little silly to then be cheap on the software you actually run which is the whole basis of your forum. Keeping the core cheap and charging for premium add-ons seems a fair compromise to me?

As an aside, it was the drop in quality of VB that outraged people, more than the pricing.

Reactions: DBA
And so, look what we got here... An expensive forum software that outraged customers to no end.

Last time I asked myself why I no longer want vb the reason was not price but 1) a forum software growing old and 2) many wrong decisions by IB.

I'm hoping that Kier doesn't see this thread, nor Mike, or Ashley, and quickly makes the decision to move forward with a price for Resource.

So far their decisions where reasonable (including pricing) and well thought out. I hope it will stay this way :)

How much do you think XenForo is worth? Not how much can you afford but what value do you think it has?
The quality of xenforo makes the software valuable - and Kier does it as if it is "second nature" to him... That's why the software was priced the way it is. In mere 24 hours he can fix xenforo bugs... At least most of them, and Mike does the same, its only in a few occasions that they ran into problems. This, in comparison to vBulletin's pace, and quality... Its a huge difference...Honestly, xenforo could be priced $200 if Kier Darby puts a lot of stock into his talents. But you and I shouldn't say that out loud to him to inspire him to make that move. We, as customers should be in line, keeping quiet... and don't speak about prices, because we should be glad we have the price the way it is... Otherwise, you're going to have to pay whatever they choose to make or raise to.

Lets say Microsoft charged $150 for each Windows sold (I'm not sure how much it was back in the 95/XP days so... keep that in mind) ....and one person thought it would be a great idea to suggest to Microsoft to charge $200 for Vista, and Microsoft goes for it. And then Microsoft makes an idea to make an all in one suite version, a premium version of it. Everyone is going like "Really now? You want a more expensive software?"

You ever wonder why Windows was the most pirated software on the face of the planet? You ever wonder why vBulletin was pirated so much? Back then, $150 was a lot of money for forum software. Now? $285 is the new "a lot of money." Thanks a lot for your suggestions, customers! *Two thumbs up* Great job.

My point is... that we should be grateful, and satisfied with what we have, rather than just ruining it for everyone else by saying "Kier should charge more for this!" That's my problem with customers like these, they don't feel grateful that companies like Jelsoft and xenForo charges less than the completion.

Let me put it in another way so that you can understand. You've heard of the PSN hacking, right? Sony included OtherOS to bring about "free" choice of doing whatever you wished on your own game consoles - provided that you do it in Sony's terms. You can do whatever is it that you want with your own PS3, but when you modify Sony's OS so that it's exploitable. Houston we've got a problem.

So, one day, one person thought it was a good idea to bust open the OtherOS feature, and then gets taken away by Sony themselves...Now hundreds, thousands of gamers are angry because one little hacker thought it was smart to ruin it for everyone else.
What's the upper limit you'd pay before deciding you'd rather use phpbb or something free?
$100. :) The only reason why I purchased xenForo back during the first wave of the sales - the price tag! I bought three, count that, 3 licenses. So that means I spent $300 for Mr. Darby to bring me quality software!
I appreciate that not everyone can afford this but busy forums already costs hundreds if not thousands a month in hosting. It seems a little silly to then be cheap on the software you actually run which is the whole basis of your forum. Keeping the core cheap and charging for premium add-ons seems a fair compromise to me?
Let them worry about the advertising, and hosting stuff...You worry about the quality of your software. That's why you have the collective community to provide feedback, and so, that's iB's biggest disadvantage: They don't really listen to customers. But when they do that suggestion has to feed "their troll" I.E. the whole pricing strategy/suggestion.
As an aside, it was the drop in quality of VB that outraged people, more than the pricing.
Yes, and no. Part of the popularity of vBulletin in the first place: Price. Price. Annnd Price. Granted, it was a very powerful little machine - script if you will - but damn it was cheap and powerful. That combo is what will drive xenforo sales.

Let them worry about the advertising, and hosting stuff...You worry about the quality of your software. That's why you have the collective community to provide feedback, and so, that's iB's biggest disadvantage: They don't really listen to customers. But when they do that suggestion has to feed "their troll" I.E. the whole pricing strategy/suggestion.

You misunderstood my point. I'm already paying hundreds a month for my site's hosting. It's a false economy to refuse to pay what a piece of decent forum software is worth and instead go for a cheaper/worse option.

If you're running a busy site you're already paying a lot to run it, even if you used free forum software. An XF license is a drop in the ocean even if they tripled the price compared to what I'm already paying to just host my site.

Like I said, I think they've got a good strategy at the minute. The core is relatively cheap and very competitively priced. If that means they then bring out premium add-ons that cost a bit more I think that's a good compromise between maximising profit and making the software available to those on lower budgets.

You misunderstood my point. I'm already paying hundreds a month for my site's hosting. It's a false economy to refuse to pay what a piece of decent forum software is worth and instead go for a cheaper/worse option.
The hosting bill is offset by the funds that come through xenforo.com - The employee bills come from venture capital. I own a incorporated company, so I know. Ashley is a business guy, so he's probably the business plan guy. Every company has one.
If you're running a busy site you're already paying a lot to run it, even if you used free forum software. An XF license is a drop in the ocean even if they tripled the price compared to what I'm already paying to just host my site.
The difference between your site, my site(s), and xenforo's site is that xenforo is offering you a service, so they expect you to trade cash for their services - upfront. You, myself, and all the regular joes out there are doing it by ads, so its harder for a busy site to be more profitable, unless you have a business plan laid out.

You've missed the point again. I'm not talking about Xenforo.com.

For my website, I pay the hosting. This is much more than whatever a XF license costs. Paying that much for hosting and then using a crappy free forum doesn't make sense.

Okay, let me put it this way, then. myBB is trending as the most popular "free forum." Why?

I'll answer: People use them because they seem to like the quality of the software.

And I have seen websites that have to pay for hosting as much as you do, yet, they have phpbb, mybb, or other "crappy" forum software.

The reason why websites often "upgrade" to and launch sites on a "paid" sofware, rather than launching or staying on a free forum script, is because most of the paid forums are seen as "professional" than the "crappy" forum software. And most of the time, these owners want to tell users that they're committed to a long stay, to success, and to whatever they want. Everyone has different ideas.

My point is that the cost of XenForo is not prohibitive to anyone running a large site. If they choose to run something ese it's because they've chosen too, not because they couldn't afford to run Xenforo.

There are some sites that cost tens of thousands a month to run, do you really think a $500 forum license would be a problem if they wanted one?

Even for small/medium size sites which cost a few thousand a year to run, the license cost is a tiny fraction of their expenses.

My point is that the cost of XenForo is not prohibitive to anyone running a large site. If they choose to run something ese it's because they've chosen too, not because they couldn't afford to run Xenforo.
You really like making me seem stupid... right? I mean you keep saying "my point is..." in 3 posts now. I do see your point, but site owners don't want to be paying more for something. For example, people complained back in the late 90's that video game cartridges costed $80 dollars PER game. A decade later, we're still paying the price for each video game sold.
There are some sites that cost tens of thousands a month to run, do you really think a $500 forum license would be a problem if they wanted one?
YES. I almost didn't buy vB4 because of the price. I ultimately bought it, and regretted it... Just because it is expensive, doesn't mean it has quality. Not even vb4 + vBSEO is returning me any result... not that I desire at this point, anyway.
Even for small/medium size sites which cost a few thousand a year to run, the license cost is a tiny fraction of their expenses.
You say that like its nothing.

If the XenForo team took the time to build a resource manager, I don't see why they wouldn't charge for it. And let's just take a look at basic economics - if the demand is there, the price will be higher. XenForo is priced competitively against the leading paid forum software out there.

I just don't understand why some people feel they are entitled have these things for free. It's a business. This is how they some day hope to earn a living, once they're done dealing with this lawsuit nonsense.

......I never said it should be free.

I'm just protesting that people need to start being grateful that the prices are the way they are... Threads like this ruin things for others.
There's an ongoing trend of you accusing anyone who disagrees with you of making you "seem stupid".
How convenient you say that. Some disagree with me, and I don't take offense... Its the way posts seem like.

This guy keeps saying "you missed my point" 3 times in a row, that makes me feel mis-understood, and a tad-bit offended... Talk to me like a normal person, and you'll be just fine. Not even Forsaken understood that.

Apologies if I'm coming across as rude but I still think you missed my point.

In your analogy, you've spent £300 on the latest Xbox but you won't pay more than £5 for a game (when the best games cost £40).

......I never said it should be free.

I'm just protesting that people need to start being grateful that the prices are the way they are... Threads like this ruin things for others.
Honestly, I think threads like this are completely ridiculous. XenForo, Ltd. has already decided what they want to do. One thread (or even a dozen) with a few people responding isn't really going to change much. Sales figures will.

Rob, apology accepted. :D
In your analogy, you've spent £300 on the latest Xbox but you won't pay more than £5 for a game (when the best games cost £40).
Here in united states, Xbox 360 costed $400 per console, with two other models going for $300 and $200. PlayStation 3 launched with a monster price tag of $600, and $500 respectively. The prices dropped to $500 and $400 by the time I bought it. Guess which one I bought? The $600 model, that YLOD'd 2 years later. On top of that, I spent $60 each, and every game that I ever bought with the exception of a few games that were $40.

It would be nice to get PS3 for $200, never mind that pretty soon PS3 is going to drop to at least $250... That isn't my point. My point is that people aren't really satisfied or even grateful with what the price looks like. We should not talk about the price because the next product can, and will be more expensive than the original. I'm going back to vb4's case: We had $150 per license, but some people think that it should be more... and then when iB bought them, they raise the price amidst controversy. The other example is the whole Mobile Suite was $100 for a week before deciding to increase to $199 because of some big mouths saying that it should have been more expensive. Great, now I have to shell out 200 bucks for the iphone/android community.

Great.

You have only to see free project like IP.Converge...now dead. The other commercial addons by IPB is regularly updates. I'm also prefer a official commercial addon regularly updated that a free unupdated product (please don't talk about vb social groups or project tools, it depends of the company).

See, threads like this is what caused Internet Brands to charge vB4's Suite for exactly $285. ...
I'm pretty sure it was more of the decision of the company than anything else, without any consideration on behalf of the customer.

Perhaps I just do not understand the whole concept here but I should have thought that entirely separate integrated 'official' add-ons would require an additional purchase, and I would prefer it thus too, this would keep the forum only version of XenForo perfectly affordable to new purchasers.

Of course then if we should require to build on the forum only version we could look at investing a little more money into our sites by purchasing major 'official' add-ons, I just hope the guys here don't do a forum only version and a bundle version, separate add-ons is a perfect solution to 'as required growth'.

If it is free, and you don't need it : Dont' get it ..​
If it is free, and you need it : Get it ..​
If it is not free, and you don't need it : Don't get it ..​
If it is not free, and you want it : Get it.​
If it is free, you want it, but you don't want to pay for it : Don't get it.​

Whatever anybody their opinion is, the reality is just .. the reality.​

If you think it is worth the money, and you need it, invest in it - duh ..​

If it is free or not, it shouldn't matter. It's a business decision.​

Top Bottom