Implemented Removing Icons from xenforo-ui-sprite.png

Shelley

I was just curious whether xenforo will be removing (what seems) now redundant icons from the xenforo-ui-sprite.png? Since the editor has moved to Redactor and it's using it's own icons it might be best removing those (highlighted in the screenshot) to make way for possible icons for the future that you may add or users may add to utilize the space.

xenforo-ui-sprite-redundant.webp

Upvote 4
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Yes, MCE4 doesn't use any classic icons anymore and which is an excellent thing in my opinion. See why here.

It's funny to see how people here do MCE bashing because its incomplete integration. It's even more funny to think that they're going to love Redactor because this time the integration has been completed ( no matter all the patches done to its core), whereas it's by default a bad/incomplete html editor and can't even match mce3 (I'm not even talking about mce4) about editing functions. And it's better to avoid to look at the licence or even the communication (see here for fun).

I have a great respect what you do with tinymce and my post was a little fun Cedric but i've never taken to tinymce from a styling perspective. I'll leave it at that since the thread seems to be going down that path.

What they're like in a HTML environment is pretty irrelevant when we only care about them in a BB code environment.

You're wrong. In a Bb Code environnement what people judge is mostly the integration, not the editor.

Either way, from an end user perspective:

TinyMCE performed badly. TinyMCE fault or integration fault? End user doesn't understand/care.
Redactor is performing well. Better editor or better integration? End user doesn't care, just likes that it works.

I know you've dealt with TinyMCE a lot and I know you've said a few times that the problems with TinyMCE arose out of an incomplete integration on XF's part, but I think all people want is a good editor, not a "what if" scenario of how said editor performs in different environments.

Either way, from an end user perspective:

TinyMCE performed badly. TinyMCE fault or integration fault? End user doesn't understand/care.
Redactor is performing well. Better editor or better integration? End user doesn't care, just likes that it works.

I know you've dealt with TinyMCE a lot and I know you've said a few times that the problems with TinyMCE arose out of an incomplete integration on XF's part, but I think all people want is a good editor, not a "what if" scenario of how said editor performs in different environments.

You've totally right on this. But we could imagine there could be some ethics between developers (XenForo & TinyMCE) that prevents doing some bashing* on a script that has been used for free many years, especially when those critics bases are not correct and have never be officially denied, which is not very "fairplay".

*:I'm not targeting you especially Shelley and I got your point - it's just a global remark.

I never knew that a simple tweak could create a such longwinded discussion.

Just think about how much time you spent debating this (I am not mentioning names) versus adding these icons back yourself if they are so important to you.

I never knew that a simple tweak could create a such longwinded discussion.

Just think about how much time you spent debating this (I am not mentioning names) versus adding these icons back yourself if they are so important to you.

You can mention my name. I don't mind.

Top Bottom