1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Implemented Removing Icons from xenforo-ui-sprite.png

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Shelley, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

I was just curious whether xenforo will be removing (what seems) now redundant icons from the xenforo-ui-sprite.png? Since the editor has moved to Redactor and it's using it's own icons it might be best removing those (highlighted in the screenshot) to make way for possible icons for the future that you may add or users may add to utilize the space.

xenforo-ui-sprite-redundant.png

2. Andrej

Andrej Well-Known Member

Where is the icon right under the smiley represented? I never seen it...

3. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Alerts.

Shelley and Andrej like this.
  4. Luxus

Luxus Well-Known Member

I see no point in removing them. People might need those icons for custom stuff, eg. Redactor-TinyMCE mods. In fact, I have extended the xenforo-ui-sprite because I needed more icons.

Adam Howard likes this.
  5. Brogan

Why not just create your own sprite?
    Saves you having to merge your changes if the sprite ever gets changed.

xf_phantom likes this.
  6. Shelley

I personally think it's good policy for add-on makers to use their own sprite since xenforo could change this and/or need the space within the sprite.

Edit: Seriously twice already today Ninja'd by @Brogan :D

Kevin and xf_phantom like this.
  7. Andrej

Andrej Well-Known Member

It could be moved to a separate sprite by the add-on developers who still need those icons as @Brogan has mentioned. There is no point keeping them in the default sprite.

8. Luxus

Luxus Well-Known Member

I have a psd for this sprite. I would need to update it just like templates. Besides, I don't think XenForo would remove icons to retain compatibility with older versions. Mike said that the x.x.X series will still be maintained along with x.X.x.

9. Brogan

I didn't say remove, I said change.
    If any new icons are added you will need to merge them into your custom sprite.

xf_phantom likes this.
  10. Luxus

Luxus Well-Known Member

Yes of course. I would need to merge them. If this means I can save 1 http request per user I will glady accept that. And when have any of xenforo's sprites been updated since the first xenforo release anyway? I would assume that UI changes more likely would happen for x.X.x or X.x.x releases. And since apparently 1.2 didn't change any sprites I doubt we will see sprite changes until the next x.X.x release.

11. Sheldon

Sheldon Well-Known Member

Can't you just add more transparent space to the sprite (to the right)? All icons still there, plenty of room for new ones. Appeases all.

12. Shelley

You could, and I do exactly that with my own custom extended-smiley-sprite but I wouldn't keep unused smilies within that sprite.

xf_phantom likes this.
  13. Shelley

@Brogan - Alerting you that this can be tagged as Implemented?

Jeremy and Brogan like this.
  14. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

@Shelley, I much prefer to send reports with humor in it. I hope it brightens @Brogan's day a little bit...

Shelley likes this.
  15. Brogan

You were saying...

I hereby pronounce this most splendiferous of suggestions, implemented.

Sylar likes this.
  16. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Splendiferous? I think Brogan learned a new word and is just trying to show off! :eek:

SneakyDave likes this.
  17. Luxus

Luxus Well-Known Member

Well, I don't know if I should laugh or cry. Now for consistency all of those 40-50 unused redactor icons should be removed as well since they take well more space than those 3 tiny other icons: http://xenforo.com/community/styles/default/xenforo/editor/icons.png
    If they won't be removed I question the purpose of removing the mentioned 3 other icons.

18. Shelley

I'm probably incorrect here in thinking this but they may possibly be used at a later date if the redactor editor increases in features and calls for the other icons to be used.

19. Brogan

These icons specifically related to TinyMCE which doesn't exist in 1.2 onwards, so it made sense to remove them and re-use the space for new icons which will be used.

20. Luxus

Luxus Well-Known Member

New icons can be added elsewhere on dedicated areas that don't already have the appropriate CSS in place to call them. If TinyMCE were to be ported to xF1.X, either by cedric or by Mike (as an alternative editor people can switch to if they want) those 3 removed icons will be missing from TinyMCE or replaced by wrong icons. It just doesn't make sense to remove those icons. There is nothing to gain from it, only to lose.