Implemented Removing Icons from xenforo-ui-sprite.png

Shelley

I was just curious whether xenforo will be removing (what seems) now redundant icons from the xenforo-ui-sprite.png? Since the editor has moved to Redactor and it's using it's own icons it might be best removing those (highlighted in the screenshot) to make way for possible icons for the future that you may add or users may add to utilize the space.

xenforo-ui-sprite-redundant.webp

Upvote 4
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I see no point in removing them. People might need those icons for custom stuff, eg. Redactor-TinyMCE mods. In fact, I have extended the xenforo-ui-sprite because I needed more icons.

I see no point in removing them. People might need those icons for custom stuff, eg. Redactor-TinyMCE mods. In fact, I have extended the xenforo-ui-sprite because I needed more icons.

I personally think it's good policy for add-on makers to use their own sprite since xenforo could change this and/or need the space within the sprite.

Edit: Seriously twice already today Ninja'd by @Brogan :D

It could be moved to a separate sprite by the add-on developers who still need those icons as @Brogan has mentioned. There is no point keeping them in the default sprite.

Why not just create your own sprite?
Saves you having to merge your changes if the sprite ever gets changed.
I have a psd for this sprite. I would need to update it just like templates. Besides, I don't think XenForo would remove icons to retain compatibility with older versions. Mike said that the x.x.X series will still be maintained along with x.X.x.

I didn't say remove, I said change.
If any new icons are added you will need to merge them into your custom sprite.

Yes of course. I would need to merge them. If this means I can save 1 http request per user I will glady accept that. And when have any of xenforo's sprites been updated since the first xenforo release anyway? I would assume that UI changes more likely would happen for x.X.x or X.x.x releases. And since apparently 1.2 didn't change any sprites I doubt we will see sprite changes until the next x.X.x release.

Can't you just add more transparent space to the sprite (to the right)? All icons still there, plenty of room for new ones. Appeases all.

Well, I don't know if I should laugh or cry. Now for consistency all of those 40-50 unused redactor icons should be removed as well since they take well more space than those 3 tiny other icons: http://xenforo.com/community/styles/default/xenforo/editor/icons.png
If they won't be removed I question the purpose of removing the mentioned 3 other icons.

I'm probably incorrect here in thinking this but they may possibly be used at a later date if the redactor editor increases in features and calls for the other icons to be used.

These icons specifically related to TinyMCE which doesn't exist in 1.2 onwards, so it made sense to remove them and re-use the space for new icons which will be used.

These icons specifically related to TinyMCE which doesn't exist in 1.2 onwards, so it made sense to remove them and re-use the space for new icons which will be used.

New icons can be added elsewhere on dedicated areas that don't already have the appropriate CSS in place to call them. If TinyMCE were to be ported to xF1.X, either by cedric or by Mike (as an alternative editor people can switch to if they want) those 3 removed icons will be missing from TinyMCE or replaced by wrong icons. It just doesn't make sense to remove those icons. There is nothing to gain from it, only to lose.

Top Bottom