1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Editing xenforo-ui-sprite.png in PhotoShop

Discussion in 'Styling and Customization Questions' started by Mike Creuzer, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Mike Creuzer

Mike Creuzer Well-Known Member

Hello all!

I have a strange transparency problem in Photoshop when trying to open the xenforo-ui-sprite.png file.

Attached is the preview of the xenforo-ui-sprite.png as I see it (zoomed in) inside of Photoshop. I encountered this error for the XenForo logo (after downloading the one at this site, top left) when I tried bringing it into Photoshop too months ago but found another one so I just ignored the error. Apparently, SOME of the transparency is being ignored regardless of how I import the file (File > Open, Place..., etc., changing the Mode)

I searched around and didn't find anything on this, so it must be my Photoshop settings or something. I have worked in photoshop for years and never encountered something like this. Is anyone else getting this?

A quick fix would be a GDK, but I do not think there is one available. In fact, if this issue can be fixed I can probably whip one up myself.

Thanks,
    Mike

Attached Files:

2. mrGTB

mrGTB Well-Known Member

Where is that image file located so I can open it up with Photoshop also and see if I can spot what's going on there

3. Mike Creuzer

Styles > ["theme name here (Default)] > xenforo > xenforo-ui-sprite.png

4. mrGTB

mrGTB Well-Known Member

Hmm, I don't have the same problem your having. I open it and it is the same size complete with transparency there. I did take notice it uses "index" and not RGB when opened if you look at image format used, but that happens with GIF images and you have to switch it to RGB to work with them proper before saving again.

Anyway, I just opened that file and saved it as a PSD below. Test it and see what happens.

Attached Files:

Kaynil and Mike Creuzer like this.
  5. Mike Creuzer

Thanks for going through all the trouble! Still happening though. Very strange, I have no idea what it is. My first thought was channels or mode, but I've tried a few things without success.

6. mrGTB

mrGTB Well-Known Member

Try this PNG-24 version then saved with maximum image quality.

xenforo-ui-sprite.png

Mike Creuzer likes this.
  7. Steve F

Steve F Well-Known Member

Mike Creuzer likes this.
  8. Mike Creuzer

Steve, thanks that worked! To be honest, I don't quite understand what the difference is, could you explain it to me please?

ETA: Is there a 24-bit version of the logo?

9. Steve F

Steve F Well-Known Member

You can open the 8bit version in Fireworks and work with it. Not sure of any benefits or disadvantages using either.

Kaynil and Mike Creuzer like this.