1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Register with LinkedIn account

Discussion in 'XenForo Suggestions' started by Jan, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Jan

Jan Member

I'm trying to built a community with professionals only, and as such it would be great if there would be an option to log in using the details of a linkedin account. As such their real name becomes the account name. In this case I want this the only way for people to join in.

Would this be possible?
  2. guiltar

guiltar Well-Known Member

3. Jan

Jan Member

Thanks for pointing out. I'm not really great with integrating this into Xenforo sign-up code, although it doesn't seem too hard to do.
  4. HenrikHansen

HenrikHansen Well-Known Member

Very good idea.
  5. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

yeah, been looking for this.
    HenrikHansen likes this.
  6. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

This would be nice :)

Is there a mod to do this? /checks
  7. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  8. Null

Null Well-Known Member

I don't personally see a need for LinkedIn integration for any of my projects but I can see a need for communities aimed at certain professions.

I personally believe third-party login mechanisms should be handled by the core rather than third-party add-one purely for the sake of security.

P.S. this threads sure gonna' attract attention now Twitter and Google support has been added :p.
    HenrikHansen likes this.
  9. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Well-Known Member

So now that this has a Lack of Interest tag is it completely dead? What does one have to do to revive something?
    erich37 and Andy.N like this.
  10. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

I havent seen thia until today
  11. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Didn't linkedin get hacked awhile back?
  12. Null

Null Well-Known Member

Keep bashing on about it and hope others agree that LinkedIn integration is needed in the core product.

Yes, they had a security breach in 2012 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_LinkedIn_hack).

However, considering LinkedIn is one of the top 25 websites on the web, it's still a service millions of people use and... would drive traffic to some communities.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  13. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

From the forum description:
    The lack of interest prefix has been added for months. There literally wasn't a single like on the first post until today.
  14. craigiri

craigiri Well-Known Member

It's a well know fact that only a tiny %% of their "users" are engaged, and of those only a tiny percentage would want to move their work "professional" persona into forums......

Hate to be contrary, but I think XF made the right decision on this one!
  15. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

16. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Well-Known Member

Unless you own a forum for... I don't know.. .work professionals. I bet I get 0 sign ups on my Orchids Forum from Twitter. Doesn't mean xenForo should add/drop it.
  17. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

Didn't Facebook, Twitter and Google+ get hacked by NSA awhile back?

18. Null

Null Well-Known Member

As per Mike's post (if I understood it correctly); I've created a new thread.
    HenrikHansen likes this.
  19. HenrikHansen

HenrikHansen Well-Known Member

This is not my experience. It is true that only a small percent of Linkedin users are active at conversions at Linkedin, but actually a very high percentage of Linkedin users at logged in at least weekly to check for announcements and maintain their network, and most Linkedin users can easily remember their username and passwords.