Redis Cache By Xon

Redis Cache By Xon 2.17.2

No permission to download
I noticed that thread views on my forums were updating slowly and we’re very low at times. I thought it was your other add-on as described here https://xenforo.com/community/threads/posts-views-not-updating-correctly.202490/#post-1558011
But it looks to be maybe this add-on after seeing this new update today. However, is there a way to update or rebuild the thread views so they display the correct value?

That update is around thread counts for thread lists, not a thread's view counts.

Redis View Counters updates ~every 15 minutes via cron, you could run it more often I suppose.

How do I connect with the redis password?
every time i try it gives me an error 500
You need to get the site to report the actual error.

Currently the add-on doesn't support username/password auth, or TLS very well.

Last edited:
You need to get the site to report the actual error.

Currently the add-on doesn't support username/password auth, or TLS very well.
In case you decide to support 'password' in the future this is the error I get when using a password...

Code:
CredisException: ERR Client sent AUTH, but no password is set in src/addons/SV/RedisCache/Credis/Client.php at line 1278
Credis_Client->__call() in src/addons/SV/RedisCache/Repository/Redis.php at line 61
SV\RedisCache\Repository\Redis->insertRedisInfoParams() in src/addons/SV/RedisCache/XF/Admin/Controller/Index.php at line 16
SV\RedisCache\XF\Admin\Controller\Index->actionIndex() in src/addons/SV/DailyStatistics/XF/Admin/Controller/Index.php at line 21
SV\DailyStatistics\XF\Admin\Controller\Index->actionIndex() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 352
XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchClass() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 259
XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchFromMatch() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 115
XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchLoop() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 57
XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run() in src/XF/App.php at line 2352
XF\App->run() in src/XF.php at line 524
XF::runApp() in admin.php at line 13

Apologies if this was asked previously (this thread is 25 pages long)...but I find the Add-on description a bit confusing.

The way I read the description...it says the phpredis extension is needed...and it says the phpredis extension is not needed:

phpredis copy.png

• The first circled area says..."For best performance, install the php extension: phpredis".
  • The 2nd circled area says phpredis not needed.

I know technically the first circled area says "for best performance". But hey...don't we all want the best performance.:)

1. Can someone clarify please if phpredis extension is needed or not. Or does installing the phpredis extension make this add-on better (but not required)?

2. If someone is experienced with this add-on (and has phpredis extension installed)...any estimates on how much faster/better this add-on is with phpredis extension installed?

3. Will this add-on work with a VPS?

Thanks Much.:)

This add-on does not require the phpredis extension, and I don't have any real solid performance benchmarks for modern php. I largely still use it because it allows more flexible deployment in my development enviroment.

The limiting factor for this add-on working is having a redis instance for it to talk to.

Hello Xon...or anyone else that may know the answer.

Got Redis installed on my server...and installed "Redis Cache by Xon". How do I know if everything is working/working properly?

I noticed in the "Overview" for Redis Cache by Xon...it says we should see "Redis Statistics" in AdminCP Dashboard. I'm not seeing this. Don't know if this means things aren't working correctly.

Thanks

Did you also change your config.php accordingly?
No I didn't. I didn't see that step in the add-on overview...or maybe I missed it.

What do I need to do?

I saw a bunch of code in the add-on FAQ...but a lot of it was confusing & didn't know what applies.

Thanks

Should be something like

Code:
$config['cache']['enabled'] = true;
$config['cache']['provider'] = 'SV\RedisCache\Redis';
$config['cache']['config']  = array(
        'server' => '127.0.0.1',
        'port' => 6379,
        'compress_data' => 6,
    );

Test this out on a staging server first...

This appears to be a more involved installation/setup than expected. Assumption was (after reading "Redis cache by Xon" Overview)...the steps would be:

1. Install Redis on server.
2. Install "Redis cache by Xon".
3. Done.
  • At this point Redis was installed on my server by Hosting company tech support folks (hopefully it was installed correctly & in the proper location).
  • "Redis cache by Xon" installed via XF AdminCP.

Do not have a staging server to test with.
Also would need to know exactly which config.php file to modify.

Thanks for the help.:)

You need to configure XenForo to use the caching provider, this has always required config.php changes.

The XenForo cloud support means it will work even when configured with the stock connector when this add-on is installed.

Thanks Xon for the help.:)

You need to configure XenForo to use the caching provider, this has always required config.php changes.
Are there instructions how to do this somewhere? Both how to configure Xenforo & which config.php file to modify?

The XenForo cloud support means it will work even when configured with the stock connector when this add-on is installed.
Sorry but I'm not exactly sure what this means. I don't have "Xenforo Cloud" (if we're talking about the Xenforo Cloud product).

Those of us that are not as as Xenforo/IT/server savvy as others...need extra details/instructions.

Those of us that are not as as Xenforo/IT/server savvy as others...need extra details/instructions.

As per the FAQ's:

Q: Sample XenForo Configuration using TCP
A: Please see https://xenforo.com/xf2-docs/manual/cache/ for details on setting up the general XenForo Cache.

The minimum configuration is:
Code:
$config['cache']['enabled'] = true;
$config['cache']['provider'] = 'SV\RedisCache\Redis';
$config['cache']['config'] = array(
'server' => '127.0.0.1',
'port' => 6379,
'compress_data' => 6,
);

The config file is also mentioned in the linked XF docs on cache:
which can be configured in your src/config.php file.

Top Bottom