Won't fix Recent Posts not showing thread titles if view thread content not allowed

Mr Lucky

If a forum permission allows people to view the thread but not the content, people can see the thread title in the forum list as expected (but not the content of course) but not in the recent posts lists.

Surely the behaviour should be the same, ie they should see the thread title as they can the threadlist.

No. Especially if admins leave deleted titles visible with a reason as to why they were deleted. To include those titles in a search would lead to more frustration as users would then get an error message. Excluding those from search results is the proper method here.

No. Especially if admins leave deleted titles visible with a reason as to why they were deleted. To include those titles in a search would lead to more frustration as users would then get an error message. Excluding those from search results is the proper method here.

I don't mean threads deleted by admins, of course those should not show to users apart from admins. What I mean is threads that a usergroup doesn't have permissions to read the posts in, but do have permissions to see the title.

They show in the threadlist in the forum, but not in recent posts.

And they shouldn't. To display them in a search result (which Recent Posts truly is) would imply they have the ability to read those threads. Clicking on it and receiving an error will do nothing more than frustrate the user.

Clicking on it and receiving an error will do nothing more than frustrate the user.

In which case they shouldn't show in the forum list either.

However that is currently exactly what happens when they click on this thread titles in the forum list, they get an error.

If the error tells them they need to register in order to view the posts,

I could probably go either way on this issue, but there are technical reasons this won't change relating to how the permission checks work. Essentially, the view thread content permission is a special case that is only handled when viewing the threads from a particular forum.

Outside that, I feel like the threads potentially randomly triggering permission errors wouldn't be a great experience. When you're in a forum configured this way, every thread triggers an error like this. You have a means to give a better of indication of what's happening through a notice, sticky thread, etc. These context elements are not really available from the find new system.

Essentially, the view thread content permission is a special case that is only handled when viewing the threads from a particular forum.
In that case, the permissions should make this clear shouldn't they?

It all seems a bit inconsistent and unclear to me. I hadn't realised form the permissions that they would only apply to viewing threads in a forum.

So it still seems to be a bug, even though you have marked it as "resolved"

It has been marked as "Won't Fix". No further action is likely to be taken for the reasons explained.

Last edited:
Top Bottom