Reactivation fee

bookmark

Can anyone tell me how much is the reactivation fee for xenforo?I noticed that xenforo stuff said the reactivation fee would be a range from 40 to 140.
I need the exact number before determining to buy a license.Thanks.

It always ends up with a decision being made and in the others opinion one is wrong.
We have the extensions set up so that license owners receive value in return for their extension. The value is in the new versions (development), resources, ticket support and forum support (so far). If the customer does not require this value, there is no need to extend their license. We think it is well worth the extension fee and want to maintain that value. There is a 9 month window to decide, which is a good amount of time to make a decision. If by 9 months it has been decided that the customer does not want to extend their license, it is likely that they will not does so for some time and anytime after that, the reactivation fee would apply. Those who regularly extend their licenses are not affected by reactivation fees and would normally have extended their license much nearer the time of expiry.

We want customers to be know about how it works when they make their purchase, and base their decision on that. Things may change, but we want customers to know from the start.

Much has been said about discounted extension fees for multiple licenses. Talking this through brings up some interesting points.

We currently have what has been been endlessly discussed. We will consider the concept of multiple license extension discounts.

I cant see why its called a "reactivation fee" - Nothing needs to be reactivated. Its a penalty for not renewing your licence after the 9 months has passed.

Well I sort of agree. It could be called a penalty fee too.

I assume its called a reactivation fee, because you have not renewed your license or used the "active" portion of it. Therefore when you are renewing you are "re-activating" that portion.

Sounds weird I agree, but I guess it's the nice way of saying "penalty fee".

Much has been said about discounted extension fees for multiple licenses. Talking this through brings up some interesting points.

We currently have what has been been endlessly discussed. We will consider the concept of multiple license extension discounts.

Hope something is brought up. I would've bought more licenses, if some kind of proposal was in store for this type of issue.

Yes, there are a lot of customers who will not like the fees to reactivate, but the developers want customers to keep their licenses current so they can support the script properly.

PS: vB did charge you extra in the old mode if you did not renew when you reactivated, so this is similar in some ways.

Nope? vB never charged extra for renewals.

They DID change it when IB came and forced users to pay early. So technically it wasn't vB's staff but IB's staff that wanted the change.

Well I sort of agree. It could be called a penalty fee too.

I assume its called a reactivation fee, because you have not renewed your license or used the "active" portion of it. Therefore when you are renewing you are "re-activating" that portion.

Sounds weird I agree, but I guess it's the nice way of saying "penalty fee".

Hmm, your still renewing though!

Month 13, you cant download the latest versions, you cant download any mods, you cant get support. - Called renewal @ $40
Month 21, you cant download the latest versions, you cant download any mods, you cant get support - Called reactivation @ $80

Cant see any difference, nothing is being reactivated in month 13 or month 21 - Its a penalty. Nothing more and nothing less.

I don’t really see the problem with the reactivation fee, because I think renewing every year is the natural thing to do. I want to get security updates and bugfixes anyway, and I just view it as a part of the cost of running a forum, just like what I pay for web hosting. Also, $40 really isn’t that much (and I’m a student who doesn’t have lots of spare money) – that’s $3.33 a month (about one beer, and way less than most of us probably pay for web hosting). So, reactivation shouldn’t occur that often.

That said, I can understand (and support) that multiple license holders feel they should get some kind of discount.

I don’t really see the problem with the reactivation fee, because I think renewing every year is the natural thing to do. I want to get security updates and bugfixes anyway, and I just view it as a part of the cost of running a forum, just like what I pay for web hosting. Also, $40 really isn’t that much (and I’m a student who doesn’t have lots of spare money) – that’s $3.33 a month (about one beer, and way less than most of us probably pay for web hosting). So, reactivation shouldn’t occur that often.

That said, I can understand (and support) that multiple license holders feel they should get some kind of discount.

I cant speak for others, but I would prefer to have the choice or renewing when I want to renew without suffering a penalty.

I don’t really see the problem with the reactivation fee, because I think renewing every year is the natural thing to do.
You think this way,others think another way.
When there is no real development with the software only a few useless features for your forum,why should you pay for the renewals?
When there is something new ,interesting then you pay the renewal fee and download it.

You think this way,others think another way.
When there is no real development with the software only a few useless features for your forum,why should you pay for the renewals?
When there is something new ,interesting then you pay the renewal fee and download it.
There is 9 months of development and in that time there will be real development with XenForo. License extension are not limited to software development or updates as it also includes resources, ticket support and forum support.
I agree that it is not worth extending your license if there is no real advantage and you are welcome to not renew ever again. You will not be able to resist extending your XenForo license :)

Correct.

edit: 'no access' = not be able to post or download, they can still be viewed, including whatever url the author may have put up. Not quite the same as 'no access' entirely.

So you will not only cutoff access to modifications, but you will even cut off the ability for a mod author to maintain their mod - unless they pay ?

Are you sure this has been thought through - sounds a good way to drive coders and customers to other modification sites.

Im sure people will sigh at the comparison to vb - but once you had a vb licence, you had access to vb.org for as long as you owned that licence - whether you paid the yearly support subscription or not.

Not sure how to respond Paul. I understand your point completely.

I am still thinking about how this may play out long term. In addition to the way vb does things, there is also the +- of the way ips does things (not everyone comes from vb). I spent many months on the ips forums and fully realize that there is no perfect way to handle things.

As you are probably quite aware, I am not the one that makes decisions.

Correct.

edit: 'no access' = not be able to post or download, they can still be viewed, including whatever url the author may have put up. Not quite the same as 'no access' entirely.
Well thats just a kick in the teeth! Sounds like a fine way to have modders plugins redistributed on warez sites.. I tend to agree with Paul this doesnt sound like a well thought out plan at all..

ETA: that hasnt worked out to well for IPB. you can count there mods on two hands.

Paul has a point, this policy needs to stay in flux before being cast in concrete, we don't want licensing issues to rear their ugly head here and ruin XF and have history repeat itself.

This is XenForo :) We, the community have some time ahead of us to build up plugins and mods and translations, right here where the community is already based. Modders will be providing their mods to the license holders. After a year (and a bit) or so, those who haven't extended their license will do so in order that they can access the downloads available. I can let you know that all current license holders have a license that will not expire within the next year :)

Top Bottom