Prejudice based on region.

jonsidneyb

I think all prejudice is a bit silly but there is a lot of it and I have been unfortunately guilty as well.

I have had people say to me in my travels "Oh you live in fly over country, do people actually live there? Are the people there hillbillies and rednecks?

Here are some I have been guilty of and I am sorry. We have a term among some groups in "flyover country" and this term is coasties. Coasties to some are considered people that do not realize there is a center portion to the USA and cannot survive sleeping outdoors under the stars in a cattle pasture.

There are also the townies. The term townies, townies are sometimes looked upon with suspicion by rural people. Townies sometimes don't understand why things are done the way they are since they are not used to the way rural people do thing.

We also have the term citiot. I first heard the term citiot in northern Minnesota in a place some call the wasteland. A large area where there are no towns over 500 people and the towns are very far apart. The term has spread in rural areas but seems to never be heard by city dwellers.

The citiot does not refer to all city people. It is for those that go out into the boonies seeking out the places where no buildings or roads exist outside of a few homes miles and miles apart from each other and then try and teach the locals skills they learned from a magazine or on the internet. It becomes apparent quickly that these people have been getting bad information struggle quite badly.

I have reformed and try and tell rural people that coasties, townies, and citiots, are people too but this gets the objection of some people. :)

I wonder if there are some other prejudices out there that I am not aware of.

I wonder if there are some other prejudices out there that I am not aware of.

The world is full of prejudice, it is in fact a base natural human condition to be suspicious of that which we don't know.. it does take actual commitment to not be prejudice. Very few people can honestly claim to be totally without prejudice or bias towards their own kind.

Thanks for the explainations Jon.. I love Citiot LOL

Well to be honest. Even though I have lived in cities briefly and did work in a city (I commuted an hour to work so I could live 7 miles from the nearest streetlight) I have to admit I am uneasy when I am in a city.

Well to be honest. Even though I have lived in cities briefly and did work in a city (I commuted an hour to work so I could live 7 miles from the nearest streetlight) I have to admit I am uneasy when I am in a city.
jonsidneyb,

If I am not mistaken, you had a huge walkabout a few months (years?) back, right? If you are the person I am thinking about, I thought your trek on foot, thumb (hitchiking), and otherwise was pretty cool.

jonsidneyb,

If I am not mistaken, you had a huge walkabout a few months (years?) back, right? If you are the person I am thinking about, I thought your trek on foot, thumb (hitchiking), and otherwise was pretty cool.

Yep, I walked from Iowa to Oklahoma.

I really don't have the time but I would like to do 200 miles on the weekend of my birthday.

It has to be a looong weekend!:eek:

It is actually not that hard on level ground. 100 miles can be done in 16-18 hours along a road, now while backpacking on tough ground it is a different story.

You might be shocked at how many people do this kind of thing, there are people in their 60's doing 100 miles events inside of a day.

This 100 mile run is much harder as these are not ideal conditions that slow you down quite a bit.
http://www.wasatch100.com/index.php...of-the-wasatch-100&catid=9:pictures&Itemid=15

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/28/sports/28ultra.html

http://www.adn.com/2011/05/01/1839869/juneaus-roes-wins-title-at-california.html

These 100 mile trail runs are much much harder than then walking someplace 100 miles away along a road and walking back.

I want to spend one day walking, the next day hanging out someplace then the third day walking back home.

I have done a huge amount of long distance traveling on my feet before. Once I did it because I was broke, the rest of the time I did it because I wanted to.

I can say that 25 miles on parts of the Appalachian Trail is far tougher than 100 miles on a paved surface. What I want to do is easy in comparison.

A guy named Blake Benke did two 100 mile races in less than 24 hours.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/21/sports/21run.html

It is actually not that hard on level ground. 100 miles can be done in 16-18 hours along a road, now while backpacking on tough ground it is a different story.

You might be shocked at how many people do this kind of thing, there are people in their 60's doing 100 miles events inside of a day.

I'm shocked! I might do it one day...
...on a bicycle;)

Are you one of my forum members?
No, I don't thinks so (or maybe I am, but just registered to read your story). I think it was either here or maybe at vB.com that I read about you taking this long walk, so I went to your forum and read the story. I thought it was great, especially the part at the end where you got to reunite with your dogs. At the time, I was jealous of the freedom and half wanted to just pitch out on my own....but, you know, that probably would not fly with the whole paying the rent and utilities thing and my wife, son and dog would probably be out of sorts if I just announced I was going on a US style walkabout.

Anyways, it was a very cool series of posts.

Oh, I think southerners are the absolute worst at being prejudice against others based on region.

I was in the Army at the time, this was in 2003, assigned to some temporary duty in the Port of Jacksonville, FL. I had just arrived and after changing into civilian clothes at the hotel, I walked next door to Texas Longhorn Steakhouse. Being alone, I sat at the bar and ordered dinner. The basketball game comes on and it was, I think Michigan vs. UConn. After a few minutes, a guy sitting a few seats down calls out (in the thickest drawl you can imagine),"Hey, bartender, can ya change the game? Who wants to watch a buncha damn Yankees play basketball?"

I was more shocked than offended. "Damn Yankees"? In 2003? Really? But, I kept from laughing when the bartender said, "No, and your shutoff," and turned to me, rolled his eyes and said, "I'm from Massachusetts." (Which is where I was born and raised).

Top Bottom