Prejudice based on region.

Florida has its own unique set of "southerners/hicks" can be broke down into several groups (Pensecola to Tallahasee to Jax down to Ocala, Then Southern FL (Daytona/Otown/Tampa). The coast from Daytona south down A1a (to Palm Beach).. then Lil Cuba (which can also be broken up lol) ..

I never run across that many hicks. Just ruralites.

The UK is confusing to me. I worked with some people from Devon on three times where they traveled to the USA.

From what I have heard the UK is not all group hug. What is the friction I have seen among people from the UK all about.

I live in Florida, the most southern state in the US, and yet we're not part of "The South." :cautious:

We do collect all your retirees though. :rolleyes:
When I was growing up in Florida many many years ago, it was part of "the south". Native floridians had southern accents, especially in the northern areas of Florida. Now Florida is a mish mash of northern retirees, and immigrants from several countries such as Cuba, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Haiti, etc. So no, unfortunately it's not southern anymore.

When I was growing up in Florida many many years ago, it was part of "the south". Native floridians had southern accents, especially in the northern areas of Florida. Now Florida is a mish mash of northern retirees, and immigrants from several countries such as Cuba, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Haiti, etc. So no, unfortunately it's not southern anymore.
How far back was this? :cautious:

Don't hurt me! :censored:

The UK is confusing to me. I worked with some people from Devon on three times where they traveled to the USA.

From what I have heard the UK is not all group hug. What is the friction I have seen among people from the UK all about.
Usually it's more racial based, the black people don't like the asian people (for example in Birmingham) and stuff like that. Either that or gang based, one gang from one town doesnt like another gang from another town.

Then you have the idiots that call themselves the "british national party" who want to kick all non-white immigrants out of britain. Stupid really.

Isn't "Hicks" basically a racist term?

As much as calling someone a cowboy that lives in the west or country boy that doesn't live in the "city" or city folk, or southerner or redneck ... a Hick isn't an ethnic group and racism is based on ethnic groups.

Usually it's more racial based, the black people don't like the asian people (for example in Birmingham) and stuff like that. Either that or gang based, one gang from one town doesnt like another gang from another town.

Then you have the idiots that call themselves the "british national party" who want to kick all non-white immigrants out of britain. Stupid really.

I thought there was still the Welsh, English, Scottish thing going a bit. Maybe that is the past :)

I thought there was still the Welsh, English, Scottish thing going a bit. Maybe that is the past :)
Eh, probably not too far in the past.

Welsh want their own parliament. Personally I don't blame them.
Ireland want their whole country to be ruled by one person, not two (the queen of england and the president of ireland)
Scotland have their own parliament, which reports to the english parliament ( I think they wanted independence as well)

I tend to avoid politics, though, so eh.

That's true in all of Europe, though. The Dutch tend nott like the Germans, (undoubtedly due to to WW2 and loosing the footie-game to them in '74). All Dutch tend to poke fun at the people in Limburg, because "they talk funny" (meaning that we do not end up gurgling in other people's face when we address them. Us southern Dutchies are like Hobbits; we love good food, better drinks, and as long as you leave us alone, we're happy).

The Germans and the British are suspicious of one another for the same reason. The big-city Danes from Copenhagen poke fun at their countrymen from Jutland. Northern Europe regards Southern Europe as lazy (damn their siestas), but think the Italians and the Greeks are great cooks. Most Western Europeans tend to think that most Eastern Europeans are criminal.

And of course, nobody likes the French :D

That's true in all of Europe, though. The Dutch tend nott like the Germans, (undoubtedly due to to WW2 and loosing the footie-game to them in '74). All Dutch tend to poke fun at the people in Limburg, because "they talk funny" (meaning that we do not end up gurgling in other people's face when we address them. Us southern Dutchies are like Hobbits; we love good food, better drinks, and as long as you leave us alone, we're happy).

The Germans and the British are suspicious of one another for the same reason. The big-city Danes from Copenhagen poke fun at their countrymen from Jutland. Northern Europe regards Southern Europe as lazy (damn their siestas), but think the Italians and the Greeks are great cooks. Most Western Europeans tend to think that most Eastern Europeans are criminal.

And of course, nobody likes the French :D

I like the French :)

Top Bottom