1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Positioning the Alert drop drop down

Discussion in 'Styling and Customization Questions' started by ibaker, Feb 20, 2015.

1. ibaker

ibaker Well-Known Member

I have a situation where I need to reposition the Alert and Conversation popup drop downs, not in their top position but move them 35px to the left and for the life of me I can't figure out how to do it. Positioning their top height point is easy but moving them sideways is proving most difficult.

In other words:
    1.jpg

Any suggestions on how to do this mean feat, is greatly appreciated

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  2. Sheldon

Sheldon Well-Known Member

Code:
    #ConversationsMenu {
        margin-left: 26px;
    }

Could try that, adjust the # to suit...

3. ibaker

ibaker Well-Known Member

Thanks Sheldon, but that doesn't work, I think I have tried just about everything except for the one thing that will do it

4. ibaker

ibaker Well-Known Member

Use a dummy test site at http://www.aircraftpilots.net/
    Username: Test
    Password: test
    Need to log in to see the Conversations and Alerts icons

5. Sheldon

This worked for me:

Code:
    #ConversationsMenu {
        left: 72px !important;
        top: 125px !important;
    }

Screenshot_5.png

6. Sheldon

... and Alerts Menu worked with this:

Code:
    #AlertsMenu {
        top: 165px !important;
    }

7. BassMan

BassMan Well-Known Member

I've tried too and works like Sheldon says.

Code:
    #AlertsMenu, #ConversationsMenu {
        top: 165px !important;
    }

8. Sheldon

.. and Account Menu

Code:
    #AccountMenu {
        top: 70px !important;
    }

9. ibaker

ibaker Well-Known Member

BRILLIANT, thanks Sheldon. That menu system allows for the user to select whether they want the menu on the left or right side of the page plus it converts to a sticky top row on mobile devices so I will change the positioning to suit what the user does, it's still a work in progress, thanks again

10. Sheldon

Yeah, that is the code for the left... but once figured out, you can set it all up properly for left/right choices.

11. BassMan

And need to fix in responsive view:

upload_2015-2-21_21-28-21.png

12. ibaker

ibaker Well-Known Member

Thanks Bassman, will do. The whole menu system is coming along nicely now, just need to clean it all up and add the ability for users to create up to 4 links for themselves that are displayed in the drop down of the right icon as shown in the mobile view

13. BassMan

There's also a problem with permalinks and sticky menu in responsive:

upload_2015-2-21_21-37-30.png

The post is hidden by menu.

14. ibaker

ibaker Well-Known Member

Thanks Bassman, strange I am not seeing that. Firstly at that resolution in Firefox -> Tools - Responsive, I don't see the post # also when I make it larger I see it and use the perma link without any issues also tried on my Samsung Galaxy S5 with Chrome browser and again now issues.

1.jpg

15. BassMan

16. ibaker

ibaker Well-Known Member

I see what you mean, I will PM you on that

17. BassMan

It should work like that (example on my add-on Sticky Navigation):

sticky_post.gif

18. ibaker

ibaker Well-Known Member

I have PM'd you on that and the reason why but not sure if there is a good way out of it and why my users attacked me when I tried your sticky bar...I think it comes down to the order of drawing the screen but not sure if there is a way around this

19. BassMan

I understand, but there's not much I can do about it. Tell your users to speed up their internet connection :p

Answered your PM...

Also it's hard to go around that. When I look at other sticky's it's almost the same...

20. ibaker

ibaker Well-Known Member

Lol Australia, a land of sweeping plains, vast horizons, huge outback, only 25m people spread across a land size of say the US. We may have been using 4g for many years but that's not a great help. I have a dedicated server based in Australia as well but then my site is relatively large. But, I have an idea, as I am about to rewrite it all and clean it up I will have a look at this and see whether my idea will work, it comes down to setting the actual top of the content first, thanks again