XF 1.0 Playing With Color

In a previous video, we looked at various style property options and also touched briefly on the XenForo color palette.

The color palette is an integral part of the style property system, and so it is open and extensible, allowing interaction and extension through the add-on system.

This video shows an add-on defining a new color and adding it to the global palette, and then shows a few of the tools XenForo provides for quickly and easily manipulating the palette, so that administrators can create the basis for new styles in seconds.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

View the video at full-size by clicking the full-screen gadget in the bottom right of the control bar.

Holy crap. I didn't think you'd still find colors that are just horrible to look at.

On a serious note: That's just too easy. Can you please add some confirmation dialogs and maybe make the slider have some resistance? :p

I really like this... yet another thing for me to spend longer than I should playing with when XF is released.
Yes, for the sake of other software, to give them still a fighting chance :p

When you revert back to the original colours, what colours are being reverted to? The original defined colour palette? A default colour palette defined by the theme/template being used, or just the colour palette prior to that session's changes?

When you revert back to the original colours, what colours are being reverted to? The original defined colour palette? A default colour palette defined by the theme/template being used, or just the colour palette prior to that session's changes?
I am curious about this too!

Kier when you setup new colors for a style is there a way to save the settings to external file (export then import)? I would probably play with colors on a test site and then add them to the production site. Or if I did do it on a production site and I liked the setup I would probably put it on my other sites. Is there a way to do this or would I have to copy the color each element to other sites?

Kier when you setup new colors for a style is there a way to save the settings to external file (export then import)? I would probably play with colors on a test site and then add them to the production site. Or if I did do it on a production site and I liked the setup I would probably put it on my other sites. Is there a way to do this or would I have to copy the color each element to other sites?
You can easily import and export styles in XenForo.

\o/

It really is that simple? That's going to make tuning my light style into a darker one for people who complained about it dead easy!

\o/

It really is that simple? That's going to make tuning my light style into a darker one for people who complained about it dead easy!

Unfortunately it's not as simple as clicking "invert", one of the reasons being that all the transparent gradients do not work so well on top of dark colors. I'm hoping that they provide "dark" versions of the gradients to make creating a dark style as easy as possible. :)

Really looking forward to this. We use our forums as a support method for software we sell, so it should make it simpler than ever to get our corporate colours incorporated. Can't wait for the XenForo release :)

Unfortunately it's not as simple as clicking "invert", one of the reasons being that all the transparent gradients do not work so well on top of dark colors. I'm hoping that they provide "dark" versions of the gradients to make creating a dark style as easy as possible. :)
And then code it so that when dark colors are picked, the dark color gradients are automatically used in the style.

That's just awesome. I've seen first attempts at something like the last bit Kier spoke about (creating a new style in seconds) in early IP.Boards. But that was totally different. You did that on some site and then you had to download the resulting style and import it into your forum.
This here is just the perfection of all that. I'm really loving it.
And that's something that will make it really easy for non-designers and not-so-savvy forum admins to create new styles. Really, really good.
Mike and Kier, you're awesome. :)

The bloke who originally designed our vBulletin 3.5 style (http://forums,randi.org) had a site that you could do that with and it is really useful for "instantly" creating new styles - we were able to offer a range of styles for the posters without having to alter a line of code/template/css.  Good to see something similar and built-in here. 

Top Bottom