XF 1.0 Playing With Color

In a previous video, we looked at various style property options and also touched briefly on the XenForo color palette.

The color palette is an integral part of the style property system, and so it is open and extensible, allowing interaction and extension through the add-on system.

This video shows an add-on defining a new color and adding it to the global palette, and then shows a few of the tools XenForo provides for quickly and easily manipulating the palette, so that administrators can create the basis for new styles in seconds.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

View the video at full-size by clicking the full-screen gadget in the bottom right of the control bar.

Brilliant! It means slight style variations can be performed on my site without having to bother our resident skinner.

I don't have a smilie to adequately express how much I like this feature.
Does this come close?
ohyes.gif
Or this?
runnningaround.gif

Brilliant! It means slight style variations can be performed on my site without having to bother our resident skinner.
I am viewing it as a way to communicate with people that create skins. Get something close, then they alter it some more, then re-vise until happiness. :)

Would it be possible to make this feature (at least modifying the hue of the standard forum colors) available to users themselves, or does it open up too many problems?

At the very least, it would appear that it would be a simple solution for people that prefer dark backgrounds.

Um....Question? Can I edit the colors INDIVIDUALLY? Or is it only by toggle?

Otherwise, awesome feature! :)

I believe you can set the whole "section" like the Primary colours or Secondary colours, then within those sections you can individually set each colour as well, making it very flexible. For example if you like the over all colour swatch of (say) blue you have chosen as your Primary colour, but one individual colour within that is not quite to your liking you can change that one colour. Same with the Secondary colours and text colours etc.

One of the things that I loved about the CSS style manager [in vB] was the ability to manually set each and every variable. Sometimes, I like patterns to keep the forum from looking ...stale ...too much of the same thing.

One of the things that I loved about the CSS style manager [in vB] was the ability to manually set each and every variable. Sometimes, I like patterns to keep the forum from looking ...stale ...too much of the same thing.

I am pretty sure you will still have the option to do manual CSS changes :)

I believe you can set the whole "section" like the Primary colours or Secondary colours, then within those sections you can individually set each colour as well, making it very flexible. For example if you like the over all colour swatch of (say) blue you have chosen as your Primary colour, but one individual colour within that is not quite to your liking you can change that one colour. Same with the Secondary colours and text colours etc.
Hmm... with a changes log and stepped reversion capability? XF 2.o?

This is excellent Kier. Quite often in Photoshop if I run out of inspiration I head off into the hue sliders and mix things up a bit, so to be able to do this with the whole forum palette - and through the admin section too (without editing files) is very welcome.

Holy crap. I didn't think you'd still find colors that are just horrible to look at.

On a serious note: That's just too easy. Can you please add some confirmation dialogs and maybe make the slider have some resistance? :p

I really like this... yet another thing for me to spend longer than I should playing with when XF is released.

Top Bottom