Lack of interest Personal Conversations "Groups"

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Cezz

Playing with the Conversations feature for a little bit one thing I would like to see is the ability to invite an entire Usergroup or a custom group of users IE all the people you are following etc..

This would be good for continued private group chats without the need for the forum owner having to create a private forum for each of those usergroups...

IE instead of having a "Pre-Release Team" forum just so you can privately communicate with the PR Team you could just create a conversation and invite the entire PR Team for each discussion...

--------------------------------

This leads me to my next question is there a limit on the number of people that can be in a Conversation?

Upvote 5
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
After playing around a bit with the Personal Conversations feature, I thought of this...

I think a great feature would be the ability to define set groups, click "Start Conversation" and it automatically create & invite all in the group.

Apologies if this has already been posted somewhere :)

I think that could be a fantastic idea. You could use the pc for staff meetings, usergroup conversations, etc.
Good one Eric. ;)

I don't know if you can do this or not, I don't think you can. What would be great is if you could invite a group of people into a conversation at once.

Example: someone PM's a mod asking for their user name to be changed. Currently on vB3.8 we have to forward the request around to the admin staff so that someone can action it. What would be great is if we could setup a recipient group within XF so that we can enter the name of the group and it automatically adds them all into the conversation.

Note, I'm not suggesting the group would be a UserGroup as such, as you could get people inviting in 'Registered Users', which would be a tad disasterous! These would need to be seperate groups and probably accessible according to usergroups.

Perhaps a usergroup as a predefined set of groups and the user can setup their own, in addition to the defaults?

ah, crap, just thought, this is going to snow ball.

If you have groups that users can maintain, it would be useful if they could be public or private. i.e. we have a number groups on the forum who like to talk amongst themselves - yeah, not ideal on forums, but they're not as bad as cliques or anything, its probably a pecuilarity of our forum. Anyway, other people may want to talk to this group, so they send a PC to the group, but to do this they need to be able to 'see' the distribution group that someone else has setup.

Which then raises another issues - how stable are PC if you have tens of participants?

Perhaps initially just allow admins to setup distribution groups which the mod team have access to, but members don't. Then we can evaluate the ability for normal members to setup their own groups.

But ultimately this would be an excellent 'added-value' service for those who have subscriptions on their site.

Think vB's Social Group Forums, but better.

With another roll of the snowball, at which point do Moderators need to be able to see these PCs if they turn into mini threads?

A potential hornets nest, but one that perhaps needs to be poked and see what happens!

At the very least though, the ability for mods to include admins as a single group would be VERY useful.

(Thinking about it, this isn't a small tweak anymore, if a mod wants to move this thread into the Bigger Features forum feel free).

What would be great is if we could setup a recipient group within XF so that we can enter the name of the group and it automatically adds them all into the conversation.

Yes, recipients groups will come in very handy. Especially in situations when you want to PC all your Moderators at once indeed.
Supported.

I like this idea.
I had something similar coded for vB and it was great.
Let's see if i find the time for this.

Yes, recipients groups will come in very handy. Especially in situations when you want to PC all your Moderators at once indeed.
Supported.

I guess 'Separate names with a comma. You may invite up to 5 members.' is a setting we can change? So that it becomes possible to PC our complete Moderator-team in 1 go for example. I really love the idea of recipients lists: it makes using the PC system for internal messages to our Staff more easier. Hopefully this suggestion get's more support/likes.

Hi just a quick one, we wish to be able to start conversations with specific groups so that we can mass mail users efficiently. Would really appreciate if it's possible to include this feature in the next release.

Thanks, :)

Phil

That I would need too in order to discuss some things with only a limited/specific usergroup. Only other solution would be a forum where only that group has access and that would be way too much for just a few topics per year.

Such stuff can not be done via mail.

Well I always used a notification mod so I enabled a forum to post to a usergroup/ or several.
I will be getting that done for my XF very soon.

But if it is only occasionally needed I can see Conversations would be appropriate.

I often PC the staff which means I have to enter all of their names every time. I'd like to set up a group of just the staff to make it easier to message them.

Top Bottom