Person selling 3 XF licences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for that - seems ominous.

See I dont understand why it is. He may have had a family member pass away, be on a 2 week holiday in the dominican, attending court cases, hard developing software, or may even just be on a break. Nobody knows and not only that nobody should know. If it was any other piece of software one member of staff being away for a while would not even be noticed however because its Kier and its xenforo all of a sudden its "Oh no, whats happening to xenforo!!!". It's mental. As already stated by Mike he is still working extremely hard on xenforo 1.2 and from what I can gather there is not a single official post to say that Kier isnt doing the same.

People read far far far too much into things. One single topic on another forum and ideas float around peoples heads like wildfire. Has development stopped? You guys tell me!

27 days ago - Resource manager updated
42 days ago - 1.1.2 released
51 days ago - Resource manager first release
63 days ago - Search addon released for big boards
69 days ago - Development update about search, resource manager and 1.2
98 days ago - 1.1.1 release, patch for 1.1.0 released, facebook api update for 1.1.0 released
119 days ago - 1.1.0 released

Took me around 2 mins in the announcements to get that.

See I dont understand why it is. He may have had a family member pass away, be on a 2 week holiday in the dominican, attending court cases, hard developing software, or may even just be on a break. Nobody knows and not only that nobody should know. If it was any other piece of software one member of staff being away for a while would not even be noticed however because its Kier and its xenforo all of a sudden its "Oh no, whats happening to xenforo!!!". It's mental. As already stated by Mike he is still working extremely hard on xenforo 1.2 and from what I can gather there is not a single official post to say that Kier isnt doing the same.

People read far far far too much into things. One single topic on another forum and ideas float around peoples heads like wildfire. Has development stopped? You guys tell me!

27 days ago - Resource manager updated
42 days ago - 1.1.2 released
51 days ago - Resource manager first release
63 days ago - Search addon released for big boards
69 days ago - Development update about search, resource manager and 1.2
98 days ago - 1.1.1 release, patch for 1.1.0 released, facebook api update for 1.1.0 released
119 days ago - 1.1.0 released

Took me around 2 mins in the announcements to get that.

Erm its a commercial enterprise that Kier is the driving force in many people choosing to follow him here, inevitably if he goes underground its going to raise questions.

Erm its a commercial enterprise that Kier is the driving force in many people choosing to follow him here, inevitably if he goes underground its going to raise questions.

Indeed, however maybe the correct questions would be an idea... Everything ok with Kier? As apposed to peoples assumptions about the software that as you can see from my above post above are simple question for people to answer for themselves.

In all honesty, it just seems a conversation to keep people in the "Oh some drama" scene in my opinion and as I think someone quite rightly said above, its quite sad. Especially when you get people like Mike working his backside off to give you guys what you want. This is a topic about someone wanting to get rid of there licences. Well if its not for them so be it, but doesnt say anything about the software. These things happen every day with every software in every genre.

I love the passion behind xenforo, but I just feel sometimes people need to remember its a company not a person. The fact that we know and love the 2 developers of it is nothing more than complement to that company and the level of expertise behind it.

The fact that we know and love the 2 developers of it is nothing more than complement to that company and the level of expertise behind it.

No offence, you may feel that way. That you love the developers and what not. For me, I buy a product and my feeling personally about who creates it doesn't come into play "in the slightest". I didn't buy XenForo, because I wanted to stick two fingers up at vBulletin "like many did". I purchased it because I simply did not like vBulletin anymore, the direction it was heading in. And liked the look of XenForo, for no other reason!

No offence, you may feel that way. That you love the developers and what not. For me, I buy a product and my feeling personally about who creates it doesn't come into play "in the slightest". I didn't buy XenForo, because I wanted to stick two fingers up at vBulletin "like many did". I purchased it because I simply did not like vBulletin anymore, the direction it was heading in. And liked the look of XenForo, for no other reason!

Not saying thats the reason that people bought xenforo. Im saying thats the reason why when people are missing they notice. personally I bought it for similar reasons, however mine was with IPB gripes .... Moved from vbulletin to IPB before this place existed

I doubt that's the case, they've been good friends for many years going back to vBulletin. Even if they did have rift, no doubt they'd have kissed and made-up within a week. We're talking 6 weeks now, even married people don't fall out for that long. :D

This speculation is just getting bizarre.

It is, speculating is silly but Mike's comments are a bit of concern.

Like it or not, Mike and Kier are part of the XF "brand". If some random startup had released XF without the reputation of Mike/Kier then it would never have got to the levels it has now (despite being the same software). If that startup was also being sued by the market leader I think most people would stay well clear until it was resolved.

Obviously the sorts of questions we'd like answers to might be personal/invasive but something like "Kier's on a leave of absence for personal reasons but will be back at some stage" would settle things (if that's the case).

Firstly, yes people are definitely over stepping the line with some of the conspiracy theories out there. However, in my experience, I have found conspiracy theories exist only where there is a lack of facts. A simple statement from Mike / Xenforo Company Account, saying Kier is very much a part of Xenforo and he is away for X (no need to be specific, things like Personal/Professional/holiday/work) reasons and he will be back shortly, will put an end to all speculation and conspiracy theories. I have helped sell a few XF licenses to my clients and when they ask me, is everything OK with XF, I am not very sure, simply because of the lack of such a statement. The post by Mike is a bit ambiguous and leaves too much to the imagination.

There is however the larger and more philosophical question of whether customers have a right to demand information about creators of the product they buy. It is definitely different for different products and companies. In case of XF, the product sells for two reasons, make no mistake about it. One, the superior quality and two the reputation of it's developers. One of the persons I recommended XF had this to say to me, "I was not aware of XF, but after you recommended it and I found out that it is created by the original developers of VBulletin, I bought it immediately"

Mike's post basically stated Kier's absence is due to personal reasons

It could easily be interpreted as various things that aren't "personal" as people have been doing above (e.g. a falling out, etc).

I agree with sadikb's post above, a simple clear statement would help a lot if that's possible.

I MUST KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT EVERYTHING !! OR ELSE !!
<Self absorbed people hiding behind the argument 'but I am a customer!' />

Isn't it rather them wishing to know about factors which will have a huge effect on the future of something they've paid for? I think that's justified, just like people wanting to know what would happen to their addons/premium accounts when you disappeared for a while (even if it's personal, a simple "it's personal but I will/won't be back" would suffice).

And to add to my post above, while people like us, who are developers don't worry too much about the lawsuit, there are many people who do. So given the lawsuit's backdrop some people become concerned, not out of great love for the developers or Xenforo, but for their own sites. Like I said, a simple and clear statement would solve all of this quite unnecessary discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom