Person selling 3 XF licences

Status
Not open for further replies.
I run a vb 4 forum that really skyrocketed in its own niche but I am in need of something to update the homepage news daily and have members interact with the homepage threads which seems like Xenforo will be a good fit (by using the 8wayrun plugin). I really just want the forum to be fast as possible for its members and I love the alerts. As for Gallery, I will be using Photopost gallery for which ive had no probs with using it for vb4. I was going to use Wordpress for the CMS but why when I can just create a News category and then have sub-categories for each section and have all 1 unified network.

The things I would like to see in Xenforo is photo tagging, review thread options for products/items, blogs, mobile/ipad style, magazine style etc.

I bought XenForo because it loaded faster, users took to it more easily, it looked better visually, SEO, facebook sign-up was integrated, (i know other forums had this but it was sell point either way), and the software seems a step in a new direction. Not the same old direction any other company is going in. If I didn't go with XenForo, then i would have gone with IPB.

It's much easier to use in the admin panel as well. I'm still getting used to the permissions... but that's just me.

I like to think of it like buying a new laptop. I don't want a laptop with a bunch of bloatware. I want to pick and choose what i put in and I dont want to see the option in the admin panel, if I never plan to use it. VB had a lot of options that I never used! XenForo only has like 1 or 2 things i never used. I like that lol.

And I can officially say, it has done a lot for my forum already.

"That's your idea of development being stalled?" then YES, I personally believe, for my needs that it has.
What you mean is XenForo didn't have the features you wanted when it was released and still doesn't and now you're complaining about it.

As has clearly been stated numerous times, purchase the software based on what it can do now, not on what you hope it will be able to do in x months time.

To say the development has stalled is incorrect as that would imply no development has taken place recently. Which is quite clearly not the case.

You obviously bought for the wrong reasons and/or at the wrong time, so you should be blaming yourself, not the development.

Its obvious this simply comes down to people not looking into what they are purchasing and assuming a lot. I'm honestly not sure how people can see xenforo as stagnating. Its 2 years old and moved move than any other software on the market. Im not saying it has more features yet, as it doesnt. However it is damned close and in terms of movement/development rate it has far surpassed the rate of development of people on bigger teams IMO.

xenforo is stable, fast, easy to work with, nice to develop with, and still being worked on to improve as much as well. Not everyone is going to get what they want instantly, and tbh wouldnt on any other software platform either. Can be a couple of versions before you get bugs fixed on the 2 biggest players let alone the features.

But, people want to sell because they bought the wrong thing, and as brogan said above, that is the reason no matter how much its buttered up to be rate of development etc.

PS: Yes there are more releases on other software. Point releases that fix silly bugs in which xenforo doesn't have as many of.

Im just giving constructive criticism as I want this software to be leading the pack. Not catching up to it... eventually. The features I mentioned would bring it up to speed a year ago. The stuff out there now Im not even discussing. You dont event want to know the ideas I have for mods that would make it a trailblazer. Again, no offence to be taken please. Just trying to drive a spark under the developments asses. Sparks were flying when I bought in.

Im just giving constructive criticism as I want this software to be leading the pack. Not catching up to it... eventually. The features I mentioned would bring it up to speed a year ago. The stuff out there now Im not even discussing. You dont event want to know the ideas I have for mods that would make it a trailblazer. Again, no offence to be taken please. Just trying to drive a spark under the developments asses. Sparks were flying when I bought in.

Still not quite sure why you think they are still not? There were 10 major additions less than 4 month ago, plus resource area since, plus big board search since which was preventing many big boards from converting, plus more converters again preventing many from converting, and we have had Christmas & New year between that time.

Functionality to bring a product up to date in terms of mobile support would be more important is there wasnt solutions out there, however there are. Content pushing for iPhone has not been out long for IPB and for android doesnt yet exist. There is only vbulletin who have so its certainly not a year behind in that area. In your own words if it comes out today its already late. How so?

Also on top of this its not like there are not solutions out there for mobile functionality. What sense would it make for effort to be pushed towards something that can be overcome as apposed to areas which cannot?

As for the gallery, cms etc comments this really loses me. Personally I bought a piece of forum software. I didnt see anywhere that there was a gallery, nor that one was going to be written. The same goes for CMS. In fact quite to the contrary it was stated that this was definatly not something that would be being concentrated on at the present time and that focus would be on the forum.

Basically what is being said is that in order to move forward the software has to move forward at a rate which is physically impossible IMO. There is massive (understatement) amount of effort gone into, and still going into the xenforo product.

Reactions: Kim
Your criticism isn't constructive when you continually say that they're not doing anything. They are moving forward, but when 2 developers and a lawsuit, they're doing the best they can. It may not by what you want to see, but they are moving forward. XF 1.2 will be out soon (Q2), which will bring even more to the table including the mobile style if I've been reading posts correctly.

XenForo is and always has been moving forward. You purchased a license under the assumption of what it will do, not what it can do. I'm sure it will get there in time, but you honestly cannot expect a start-up company to compete full-force against competition that has existed for at least a decade in the first 2 years.

I doubt Kier and Mike need you to put a "spark under the development asses."

What ever happened about that great Gallery from the great mod developer KK that was coming?
Shoot....I forgot about Galleria. Thanks for reminding. I don't know for sure if there was any update on this as of lately. But, the first quarter of '12 is almost over.

1. The gallery will be paid, as we have worked out a deal to allow a proper support structure over at XenFluence.
  2. Projected dates were modified, but I'm hoping to have a beta ready in Q1 2012.
  3. Support & Downloads will not be housed on XenForo
  4. Most product announcements and updates will be posted at XenFluence, not XenForo.

But this is just forum software? Why do people want it bloated? :/ It's like a sign that people don't actually know what their users want. And really, if the other forum is doing what you want then just like keep using it?

But this is just forum software? Why do people want it bloated? :/ It's like a sign that people don't actually know what their users want. And really, if the other forum is doing what you want then just like keep using it?
Robbo, are you criticizing people about wanting Addons ?
Useless things like a Gallery, Donation Manager, and an Ad manager ?

Shoot....I forgot about Galleria. Thanks for reminding. I don't know for sure if there was any update on this as of lately. But, the first quarter of '12 is almost over.
I thought the first private beta was due out a long time ago ?

King Kovifor, Dec 21, 2010:
So, I'm throwing my hat into the gallery plugin: Galleria: The Basics.
I'm hoping to have a private beta ready reallly soon. I'm on break and will be ramping up the development.

Robbo, are you criticizing people about wanting Addons ?
Useless things like a Gallery, Donation Manager, and an Ad manager ?
No. About them expecting them either packaged or made by XenForo LTD by now. Or the fact they think it is really easy to make them. Think of it this way. Making add-ons for vBulletin is like making games for the PlayStation 2. Was fast to develop on because they focused on gameplay and just making it work, quality for visuals, polish, eye candy if you will was very low compared to the PS3 (XenForo) where the quality MUST be high otherwise it will seem like it is just a bad add-on. It should hold up to the XenForo standard with looks, functionality, use of AJAX where it should be used, nice animations, easy to use etc etc. So it can take longer to develop but bring out a much nicer product... on top of that this is new software, developers don't just jump from one platform to another very much... especially when the platform they use has been used for years and has the biggest market.
People just need to give XenForo time. Personally, I expect to have at least 20 add-ons (many being big ones like a portal, media gallery, social networking platform, blog maybe, sub accounts system, cloud integrations, CDN integrations). However things are just slow for me at the moment due to the market being too small to make enough out of it to justify full time work and a lot of personal projects which I want out of the way. XenForo won't magically grow in massive amounts once as it has a good gallery, sure it will get some people who have been waiting for one but that isn't the bottleneck. It's like many companies still using IE6, it just isn't worth the money to update to a new browser, re-code everything they did to IE6 and train their staff to use it when it is working perfectly fine for them in IE6.

PS. I ****ing hate IE6 with a passion! Don't think I endorse it or anything from this post.

I thought the first private beta was due out a long time ago ?
Before the thread derails entirely to this unrelated topic...

Galleria was planned/announced a long time before XenFluence was even a thought. There were various things going on behind the scenes, but since that time the codebase that was already developed had to be altered so that it falls inline with our XI standards and framework. It's still happening, but the clock got slightly reset on that add-on.

There's not much more to say about it at this moment, but there will be quite soon. If you want to discuss things further there's a much more appropriate thread/site to do so than this thread. :)

I hope this is a good lesson to all new license holders that they should buy XenForo for what it does currently. Seems sort of silly to of purchased forum software hoping it would become CMS gallery ecommerce and more all in a year or two.
Word.

I run a vb 4 forum that really skyrocketed in its own niche but I am in need of something to update the homepage news daily and have members interact with the homepage threads which seems like Xenforo will be a good fit (by using the 8wayrun plugin). I really just want the forum to be fast as possible for its members and I love the alerts. As for Gallery, I will be using Photopost gallery for which ive had no probs with using it for vb4. I was going to use Wordpress for the CMS but why when I can just create a News category and then have sub-categories for each section and have all 1 unified network.

The things I would like to see in Xenforo is photo tagging, review thread options for products/items, blogs, mobile/ipad style, magazine style etc.
I started out with vB4, Photopost and Wordpress integration. I prefer the xenforo Album addon compared to Photopost. My only gripe is that it does not let members you have followed to view an album. I've messaged the coder several times, posted a request in the thread and have created two requests in the paid addon requests forum and still haven't gotten it done. If you want something done in a timely manner, stick with vB4, if you don't care then this is the forum software for you. I enjoy everything else about it and I wouldn't go back to vB4. The forum software is very secure. The only thing that really messes up is usually someone else's addon and not xenforo itself.

Here's a sample of my portal www.BlackGamer.net I don't really use that site but you can see the portal in action. It is way more convenient than wordpress integration which sometimes breaks when a new version of wordpress is released.

No. About them expecting them either packaged or made by XenForo LTD by now.
+agreed.
One option xenforo still has is to announce they will *NOT* make any addons "ever".

First off, they don't have the manpower.
Now, it seems more so than ever.

Secondly, by xenforo promising to be focussed on the forum and site infrastructure ... it will attract addon developers. Making a full Xenforo CMS seems risky if xenforo.com is going to make one of their own in 3 months. Developers don't like risks.

Thirdly, vBulletin never made that much money off addons. vB's Project and Blog could not have been big sellers. The CMS vB made is horrible, people who bought it were very unimpressed. How long from vB3 launch did Blog and Project come about ? Definitely not a short period of time. What percentage of vB's income came from "addons" vs. the core product ? 10% ?

Should xenforo promise to never make addons ? No.
Maybe they should announce which addons they will never make... such as ...
Gallery, Articles, Blog, Wiki, Tags, Cart. This will spur development on these items.

"Infrastructure" things like Mobile skin and maybe CMS might be best done by xenforo ... but then again .. maybe not. Maybe they should not bother with that stuff as well.

"Getting out of the addons game" could be a very interesting move for xenforo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom