Person selling 3 XF licences

Status
Not open for further replies.
I let both my xF licenses expire until we get a gallery and calendar and deep mobile integration with push notices. I'll admit, this forum lept out the gate strong and got me excited but the last year and a bit, its stagnated big time and im currently looking for another feature rich project out there with the latest technologies for social interaction (mobile/tab/website/forum)

I let both my xF licenses expire until we get a gallery and calendar and deep mobile integration with push notices. I'll admit, this forum lept out the gate strong and got me excited but the last year and a bit, its stagnated big time and im currently looking for another feature rich project out there with the latest technologies for social interaction (mobile/tab/website/forum)
Development isn't instantaneous, and they've focused on the core product so they have room for growth.

Your expectations are ridiculously high for a company that isn't even two years old yet.

VB is only user friendly
XF is both user and admin friendly + give the the chance to step up and be creative using something new
i can't stand to look at Vb forum any more , wherever you go in the net , ( same ideas , same forums , same topics , same styles ) this been the case for years .. XF give the chance to stand from these people and be creative

Some people buy forums just for showing off and require the forum to have all the hacks , styles seen on others sites without really knowing nor understanding the use of them ( like in most Arabs communities ) only such people i believe complain about xf , because either ways they can't do anything , a support team will do the whole thing for them and unfortunately there is not much support for xf in the worldwide yet

I jumped at the bit too. Got caught up in the excitement. Regrettably I have not put enough effort into my new projects.
I haven't renewed my licenses until I can get motivated again and still need some additional addons before I can convert my vB forum.
Development isn't instantaneous, and they've focused on the core product so they have room for growth.

Your expectations are ridiculously high for a company that isn't even two years old yet.
You need to do what you need to do and work with what is available now.
I don't think anyone is putting down xf. It just isn't suiting everyone's needs right now.

Exactly, they are just being honest and open about how they feel. You have to respect other people and their own opinion said, even if it goes against the grain with how you feel. Otherwise they'll simply stop bothering saying anything and you'll never know how people really feel. Each to their own, no need to start shooting people down as being in the wrong, just because they feel differently later.

At the moment it does seem like things have slowed down here and also the fact Kier appears to have gone 'underground' does seem a little worrying, can someone clarify is Mike the only dev working on things at the moment? :)

Personally I do not get what all the hype is about. Someone is selling 3 xenforo licenses, so what? Licenses get bought and sold all the time. I have seen users selling much more licences like that from other forum softwares.

I jumped at the bit too. Got caught up in the excitement. Regrettably I have not put enough effort into my new projects.
I haven't renewed my licenses until I can get motivated again and still need some additional addons before I can convert my vB forum.
I don't think anyone is putting down xf. It just isn't suiting everyone's needs right now.
My post was only that he is expecting a huge amount from a two year old company, especially with deep integration with a mobile app that includes push notifications (Which wouldn't really be usable by most people as it would require quite a bit of resources). My response was mostly about the mobile part of his post, as that isn't something you'd expect at this point in time.

My response was mostly about the mobile part of his post, as that isn't something you'd expect at this point in time.

seriously? when xF came out I was saying mobile would overtake pc's as the #1 use of the internet. On this site I said it and was laughed at. Now on March 19th 2012, you're still saying Im talking too far in the future? Really? I can tell you if xF launched push notifications today it's already late. No offense but the early bird gets the worm.

seriously? when xF came out I was saying mobile would overtake pc's as the #1 use of the internet. On this site I said it and was laughed at. Now on March 19th 2012, you're still saying Im talking too far in the future? Really? I can tell you if xF launched push notifications today it's already late. No offense but the early bird gets the worm.
And they're working on a mobile style, as I said they would likely do when it first came up. A mobile app would require additional upkeep (Android, iOS and likely Windows Phone 7), and push notifications would require additional resources on the part of forum owners, most of which wouldn't be able to do so.

You're also comparing established, developed solutions to a two year old platform with a limited development team. Sure, Mike and Kier could likely do the mobile apps, but then the development of other things would be halted. They could also hire dedicated developers for the mobile solutions, at a time when they're stuck in lawsuits that will end god knows when.

But lets just throw logic and reason out the window and complain about things not going the way they wish :).

You're also comparing established, developed solutions to a two year old platform with a limited development team. Sure, Mike and Kier could likely do the mobile apps, but then the development of other things would be halted. They could also hire dedicated developers for the mobile solutions, at a time when they're stuck in lawsuits that will end god knows when.

Exactly ! I mean common is that so hard to understand !

And they're working on a mobile style, as I said they would likely do when it first came up. A mobile app would require additional upkeep (Android, iOS and likely Windows Phone 7), and push notifications would require additional resources on the part of forum owners, most of which wouldn't be able to do so.

But lets just throw logic and reason out the window and complain about things not going the way they wish :).

Its been over a year. In terms of technological advances on the internet thats a lifetime. Come on really? Still working on a mobile style? 15 months later? Now you're just making excuses. Im not hating, I support this product, but to say it hasnt stalled is just being silly.

1.1 came out 4 months ago and included numerous major and minor additions and tweaks such as:

The Enhanced Search add-on was released two months later.

Just two weeks after that the Resource Manager was implemented and is still being developed to be released as an add-on.

In addition, numerous major features have already been developed for 1.2.

That's your idea of development being stalled?

My notes, as opinions that just relate to "My Needs" only included in red
1.1 came out 4 months ago and included numerous major and minor additions and tweaks such as:

• Criteria-Driven Notices - Standard in other forum software and there was a simple XF mod already which I used
  • Custom User Profile Fields - Standard in other forum software and was a frequently asked for inclusion
  • Thread Prefixes - Standard in other forum software but was just a "nice to have"
  • Daily Statistics - Standard in other forum software and a "Must Have"
  • User Warnings - What was wrong with the old system that made this so important to spend time on now
  • Minified JavaScript and CSS - What was wrong with the old system that made this so important to spend time on now
  • Smilies and UI Graphics as Sprites - What was wrong with the old system that made this so important to spend time on now(in fact I can't even use smilies this way so a waste for me and any other person who uses the Happy Place addon for example)
  • Admin Control Panel Search - What was wrong with the old system that made this so important to spend time on now (who really uses this when you know the backend anyway)
  • BB Code Media Site Improvements - if referring to YouTube video auto inclusion then yes, a nice to have
  • Attachment System Improvements - What was wrong with the old system that made this so important to spend time on now (attachments for conversations, not an immediate must have)
  • Criteria-Driven User Group Promotions - Nice to have but I don't use it as I like to do this manually
  • User Ignore System - Doesn't even get used on my site and never got used for 8 years on my vb site
  • Admin and Moderator Action Logging - Standard in other forum software but I don't use, if you can't trust your Mods then don't appoint them
  • Ability to Search Within Threads - Standard in other forum software and a must have so should have been in the initial release
  • Can View Thread Content and Can View Others' Threads Permissions - I would guess was left out from the initial release by mistake when the permissions system was created in the first place
  • Right-to-left language (such as Arabic) support - I suppose a had to have for business reasons
  • More importers - Business driven
The Enhanced Search add-on was released two months later. - only for big boards so useless for 98% of XF users

Just two weeks after that the Resource Manager was implemented and is still being developed to be released as an add-on. - and what was wrong with the old system and when it gets released as an addon it will cost $X and be like the initial vb Blog or Project Tools with little take up for the average site as it is just a download manager...vb's has had the addon Downloads 2 for years and free

In addition, numerous major features have already been developed for 1.2.

That's your idea of development being stalled?
So Brogan, sorry but personally (and I just mean personally for my own needs which is to have a "Web Site" not just a domain name with a forum), the above enhancements don't really add that much value to me compared to the most commonly asked for features/addons, the number one being a gallery etc...tools that will make my "Web Site" a complete package to satisfy the needs of all users in which ever diverse way "THEY" choose to use my entire web site

Let's face it, and again only my own opinion which can differ to many others, but Forum only web sites are on their way out. I have heard this said by many others around the traps. These days we need to provide an all encapsulating user experience otherwise we will get over taken, and forgotten about, by the likes of facebook, Twitter, Google, YouTube etc...all of which are providing enhancements by way of features that mimic forums/discussions, photo galleries, file downloads, video libraries etc and have a lot more "pull" of many more users then just a domain name that has a forum on it...crikey, instant discussions, group chats etc, all of which the likes of facebook, Google etc provide, and with video, makes a forum like the old "Email List" of the past...I personally believe we have to provide for ALL user's needs, some want a forum and a photo gallery, some want instant subject news as its happening and can watch videos, some want a CMS Articles only and instant/group chat...a web site today has to provide for all the needs irrespective of what percentages of users use which feature...it is a total package that will make a user happy and keep coming back for all their needs...THAT, to me, IS THE POWER OF ADDONS which XF should be focusing on and not things like "Admin Control Panel Search"...so to comment on your final statement "That's your idea of development being stalled?" then YES, I personally believe, for my needs that it has.

JUST my humble opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom