XF 2.0 PayPal Instant Payment Notification Warning

PumpinIron

I’m running the latest stable version of XenForo, but as of today I just received the following email from PayPal:

Please check your server that handles PayPal Instant Payment Notifications (IPN). IPNs sent to the following URL(s) are failing:

https://wranglertjforum.com/payment_callback.php?_xfProvider=paypal

If you do not recognize this URL, you may be using a service provider that is using IPN on your behalf. Please contact your service provider with the above information. If this problem continues, IPNs may be disabled for your account.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this issue.

Thanks,

PayPal

I checked the address and this isn’t a phishing scam, it’s a legit email from PayPal. What I can’t figure out is why I am getting this email. I have used upgraded enabled and the @AddonFlare “Paid Registrations” add-on which uses PayPal as well.

I’ve never once had an issue with a payment going through though, and I don’t see anything in the logs about it, so I’m really confused as to what’s going on.

Did you ever get this resolved.

I have had PayPal working great on my site for some time, and now I just got an email exactly like yours.

I went to PayPal and found this,

I don't recall EVER going to this page before and changing anything or entering a URL (which is not to say I didn't but I may have just forgotten since then...).

Did you ever get this resolved.

I have had PayPal working great on my site for some time, and now I just got an email exactly like yours.

I went to PayPal and found this,

View attachment 195226

I don't recall EVER going to this page before and changing anything or entering a URL (which is not to say I didn't but I may have just forgotten since then...).

I never managed to actually figure out why it was happening other than what's mentioned in the previous posts in this thread.

The odd thing is that it still happens every so often (maybe once every 2 months), but only on maybe 1 out of every 100 transactions. I just gave up on trying to figure it out as it happens so seldom that I'm not really sure what it could be.

I haven't had any issues since posting this thread for what it's worth.

So I updated this.

I have received several successful payments since and the account upgrades on XF worked as they should.

I did have to go back through about a week of payments that were successful, but where the upgrade on XF did not work, and do manual upgrades.

Hmm.... Maybe it's because it's for the paid registration add-on and it results in the 503 error if they haven't verified their email address yet for the new registration.

It's always on a new registration when I get the error but not everytime.

Yes the error is definitely because the user hasn't confirmed their email address yet. It's because PayPal is trying to ping back the user but the user hasn't been created yet.

Went to the PayPal IPN log right after I received payment with registration and error was there. After the user was confirmed the error went away.

I got my first IPN warning this morning, but now I see that there are tons of user warnings in the PayPal payment log in the forum going back years. But I never received any warnings about this before.

Entering a proper IPN URL in PayPal is a problem, since I'm receiving payments from several domains and 2 of my three forums. I have long used the proper URL for one of my domains.

PayPal's merchant support is not helpful. XF support said it's PayPal's issue to fix, though I'm still waiting for a response to my last inquiry about this.

So?

Top Bottom