Add-on [PAID] Full Wordpress/Xenforo bridge

Would any Wordpress plugins work in Wordpress when you use your plugin ?

say this one ? http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-wiki/
or
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/nextgen-gallery/

I can't make any specific promises because Wordpress plugins do such a wide array of things in so many different ways, but wherever possible I tried to work within the way Wordpress is supposed to work rather than removing core functions. I downloaded both of those two plugins you mentioned and gave them each a quick test run, they seemed to work fine except for the flash uploader no longer functioning in nextgen gallery (though the normal browser uploader still works fine). The issue with the flash uploader seems to be that it isn't passing the correct authentication cookie on upload, probably fairly easy to resolve with a change to that plugins file if needed. Additionally the slideshows don't show up in the XenForo thread created for that post, instead you just get the "[slideshow id=1]". I think that is to be expected.

Obviously any plugin that makes significant changes to either the user authentication system or the comment system will be very likely to clash with my plugin.

The issue with the flash uploader seems to be that it isn't passing the correct authentication cookie on upload, probably fairly easy to resolve with a change to that plugins file if needed.

Are Wordpress cookies actually generated ? So, Xenforo is handling the logins ... but does Xenforo generate a Wordpress cookie ?

It's great to hear you feel alot of Wordpress plugins will work.
I am hoping to test soon.

Current Features:
  • All logins / authentication handled by XenForo (Wordpress and XenForo must be on the same domain for this to work; currently Wordpress does not maintain an up to date user table and so on removing the addon all XenForo users will lose their Wordpress access)
  • A thread created for each new blog post / page
  • Comments stored as XenForo posts, the editor on both Wordpress and XenForo still works
  • Avatars are synced correctly between the two
My Hero :D :D :D

Are Wordpress cookies actually generated ? So, Xenforo is handling the logins ... but does Xenforo generate a Wordpress cookie ?

Nope, no Wordpress cookies are generated. All of the Wordpress cookie authentication procedures are overwritten with the Xenforo equivalent. This should almost always cause no issues, but does lead to the same domain requirement and also the issue with the flash uploader I mentioned (flash often seems to struggle passing on cookies as it should, so normal practice is to pass it as a POST variable as part of the form. In this case the flash uploader is still trying to pass the old Wordpress cookie, which no longer exists).
What happens to the existing comments prior to this plugin. Would it be synced as well?
Any posts made before the plugin was installed will continue to use the built in Wordpress system to manage its comments. So whilst they will not be synced to Xenforo they will still display on Wordpress as they should.

Just one question: How much of a hard requirement is "must be on the same domain" ? Is this one of those "can't be done" problems or a "can be done, if someone asks really really nicely" one? :p

Just one question: How much of a hard requirement is "must be on the same domain" ? Is this one of those "can't be done" problems or a "can be done, if someone asks really really nicely" one? :p
For now it is an absolute requirement, web browsers won't share cookies between different domains because of security issues. Technically there are ways to get around this problem but they would require more time to fully explore.

For now it is an absolute requirement, web browsers won't share cookies between different domains because of security issues. Technically there are ways to get around this problem but they would require more time to fully explore.
That's one of those good reasons. Thanks :)

It would be better if we had the option to use the Wordpress member tables to manage the logins, etc. so we could use membership plugins like http://member.wishlistproducts.com/ or other plugins that make use of the Wordpress member tables. If Xenforo is handling everything, then how can we protect content and limit who can read and access it? Also by using Wordpress to manage logins we can enable other payment gateways and not be stuck with paypal (who would own all our customer data and payment info). So, there are many benefits to letting Wordpress take over the site access and have the forum be underneath it.

It would be better if we had the option to use the Wordpress member tables to manage the logins, etc. so we could use membership plugins like http://member.wishlistproducts.com/ or other plugins that make use of the Wordpress member tables. If Xenforo is handling everything, then how can we protect content and limit who can read and access it? Also by using Wordpress to manage logins we can enable other payment gateways and not be stuck with paypal (who would own all our customer data and payment info). So, there are many benefits to letting Wordpress take over the site access and have the forum be underneath it.
Not sure if this is relevant but that's why my bridge copy the basic user info to WordPress and do passive sync to the info. More information (and lots of Q&A) here http://xenforo.com/community/threads/wordpress-3-bridge.5398/ -- that's unfortunate that I haven't gotten time to improve it, yet :(

When I originally built it I made the decision that most people would use it to provide a more capable front page for XenForo rather than anything else. I admit that it is not an ideal solution if you already have a large highly modified Wordpress blog that you are just hoping to attach XenForo too. This is very much designed to add Wordpress to XenForo rather than the other way around. If you're hoping to control who can view what content the easiest way to do that would be to tie it into XenForo's permission system again, check whether or not the user can view the thread id for the post. That is not, however, built into the addon at this stage.

@xfrocks I'm not trying to create some form of a competition here, I have a great amount of respect for the system you built. You obviously have a well polished addon that does a good job of syncing the two databases together, mine is simply an attempt to implement some of the other features that people have requested in this thread. In a way we're attempting to achieve two different goals.

@xfrocks I'm not trying to create some form of a competition here, I have a great amount of respect for the system you built. You obviously have a well polished addon that does a good job of syncing the two databases together, mine is simply an attempt to implement some of the other features that people have requested in this thread. In a way we're attempting to achieve two different goals.
You guys should just join forces and together build the most feature-rich WordPress integration for XenForo. (y)

One thing I'd like to see is an author biography block that allows the author to show information like their real name, web site, etc. WordPress has this, but from the last time I used xfrocks' plugin, it was not usable.

Another thing I'd like to see, is that when an article is posted, a thread is started in the forum that has an excerpt from the article/blog. This would allow people to discuss the article (I believe Fighter's plugin does that). However, it should also display those comments (stored in XF database) beneath the article/blog itself.

One thing I'd like to see is an author biography block that allows the author to show information like their real name, web site, etc. WordPress has this, but from the last time I used xfrocks' plugin, it was not usable.

Interesting, but XenForo doesn't currently store real name as a profile field. This may be best left until custom profile fields in XF1.1. However even now it should be very possible to load the Homepage and 'About you' fields from XF into WP.

Another thing I'd like to see, is that when an article is posted, a thread is started in the forum that has an excerpt from the article/blog. This would allow people to discuss the article (I believe Fighter's plugin does that). However, it should also display those comments (stored in XF database) beneath the article/blog itself.

My addon already does all the things you mention here :) Take a look at the screenshot I posted earlier in this thread.

Interesting, but XenForo doesn't currently store real name as a profile field. This may be best left until custom profile fields in XF1.1. However even now it should be very possible to load the Homepage and 'About you' fields from XF into WP.
I was thinking that since these fields are already in the WordPress database, that it could somehow be utilized. Although, I agree, depending on how custom profile fields are implemented, that would be a great place to store them as to keep everything in XF.

My addon already does all the things you mention here :) Take a look at the screenshot I posted earlier in this thread.
Outstanding (y)

Wordpress powers about 15% of the web now: http://wordpress.org/news/2011/08/state-of-the-word/ So the market for a Wordpress run site that is already up and running but wants to attach a forum or build-up a community is HUGE. It makes no sense to start with a forum, then attach a blog to it. And Wordpress isn't just blog sites anymore. Many people use it as their full CMS to power their entire site.

That's why the need for a plugin that works under Wordpress but enables a cookie'ed login to Xenforo and syncs the two databases is crucial. And then have Xenforo system take over the commenting area on Wordpress, so avatars and community profiles are the same.

Basically you are working withing the Wordpress framework, using that as the login system, but attaching Xenforo on so you can run the community via that.

Top Bottom