Add-on [PAID] Full Wordpress/Xenforo bridge

That's only if you remove the bridge
I know.
and only for users that were created by the bridge - XF and WP use different password hashing formats, so I can't just pass the password hash.
I think it would be a marketable part of a bridge to be able to have a fully functioning WordPress, guaranteed. The WordPress users coming to XenForo would want to know their beloved WordPress (and their users) will be kept safe.

That's the point - it is fully functioning. It's hardly that much effort to do one 'forgot my password' request, is it?

I know.

I think it would be a marketable part of a bridge to be able to have a fully functioning WordPress, guaranteed. The WordPress users coming to XenForo would want to know their beloved WordPress (and their users) will be kept safe.
Are you willing to contribute money for the project?

Hey all,

I've been working on something for the last few weeks that hopefully meets most of the requirements that you've outlined in this thread. The only think that isn't tested yet is WPMS, I'm not sure whether or not that will be compatible. See the screenshot for the best overview of the main features and let me know if you have any feedback, I will most likely be releasing the beta of this as a paid mod within the next few days (a lot of work has gone into it).

Unfortunately the issue with the way the Wordpress system handles addons is that unlike Xenforo you cannot overwrite methods, you can only apply filters to content after it has been generated. This does mean that the addon creates some extra bulk in Wordpress where it loads the Wordpress content first, then replaces it with the XenForo content. If there is enough demand I will create a guide on editing the Wordpress core files to improve efficiency but obviously that can't be part of the addon itself.

Current Features:
  • All logins / authentication handled by XenForo (Wordpress and XenForo must be on the same domain for this to work; currently Wordpress does not maintain an up to date user table and so on removing the addon all XenForo users will lose their Wordpress access)
  • A thread created for each new blog post / page
  • Comments stored as XenForo posts, the editor on both Wordpress and XenForo still works
  • Avatars are synced correctly between the two
What does it not do?:
  • Apply any styling to Wordpress, if you want visual integration as well you will need a Wordpress theme that looks like XenForo.
I'm also planning on creating a 'Promote to Article' extension for XenForo, but I'm not sure if that will be in the first release or not. Hopefully I've not forgotten anything but if you have any questions or thoughts please let me know.

Thanks!

Attachments

• screenshot.webp
    screenshot.webp
    53.2 KB · Views: 52
Great work, the styling it's not a problem for me. I know several good designers for this...Your screen is very interesting.

But personally i need the wp mu support with different subdomain between forum and blogs...i will surely buy your addon and test it.

Great work, the styling it's not a problem for me. I know several good designers for this...Your screen is very interesting.

But personally i need the wp mu support with different subdomain between forum and blogs...i will surely buy your addon and test it.

Thanks for your kind comments. I will certainly test WPMS before releasing the final thing, I just haven't yet. I'm not sure how many changes will be needed for it to work with WPMS but as long as it isn't too significant I will make them for the first version. If it requires significant alterations I will aim to make them in a future release.

What happens to guest comments on the WP side? Will it appear on XF thread? Or do you require guest to sign up on XF before they can comment on WP?

What happens to guest comments on the WP side? Will it appear on XF thread? Or do you require guest to sign up on XF before they can comment on WP?

Permissions are all handled by Xenforo and the forum that you ask Wordpress to create the thread in. If you allow guest replies on the thread then Wordpress will also allow guest replies (which will show up in Xenforo as normal), if you don't allow guest replies on Xenforo then Wordpress will ask you to sign up / login before commenting.

I currently use Disqus comment system so I guess people have to disable it and use the native WP comment system for this to work?

Will this create a new user in WP for every XF member?

I currently use Disqus comment system so I guess people have to disable it and use the native WP comment system for this to work?

Will this create a new user in WP for every XF member?
I'm not familiar with the Disqus system, but almost certainly it would need disabling. This is fairly tightly integrated with the standard WP system.

And no, it does not create a WP member (yet). Essentially with the plugin installed Wordpress completely ignores the WP user table in the database (you could even delete the Wordpress user table if you wished), all user lookups are done on the Xenforo user table. When you uninstall the plugin Wordpress will go back to looking at the old user table it had from before you ever introduced the plugin. However if there is a demand for such a feature I could theoretically get Wordpress to create user accounts for Xenforo members so that there would be no disruption when the plugin was removed.

And no, it does not create a WP member (yet). Essentially with the plugin installed Wordpress completely ignored the WP user table in the database (you could even delete the Wordpress user table if you wished), all user lookups are done on the Xenforo user table. When you uninstall the plugin Wordpress will go back to looking at the old user table it had from before you ever introduced the plugin. However if there is a demand for such a feature I could theoretically get Wordpress to create user accounts for Xenforo members so that there would be no disruption when the plugin was removed.
No, I just like the way it is :)
Users should be handled by XF, not WP.

What I wonder is what will happen to the blog post comments if we disable the plugin? Will they disappear since WP does not sync user anymore?

What I wonder is what will happen to the blog post comments if we disable the plugin? Will they disappear since WP does not sync user anymore?

Comments that are made through the Wordpress editor will remain after you disable the plugin (they're saved to both Wordpress and Xenforo), but any comments made through the Xenforo interface will disappear from Wordpress once you remove the plugin (no way to save those back to Wordpress :(). However all comments will remain in Xenforo after the plugin has been removed.

One thing that I forgot to write above that is worth mentioning is that Xenforo does not support a Threaded display mode for threads and so neither can Wordpress whilst using this plugin. To attempt to alleviate this issue I've set it up so that a click on the 'Reply' button on a comment will automatically add a quote of that comment to your reply - much as Xenforo itself does it.

Another questions: how the bridge handle the tags on comments? Example quote, image etc.
And also: can you have different forum for different categories? Can you have for every blog a single forum for the comments?

Another questions: how the bridge handle the tags on comments? Example quote, image etc.
And also: can you have different forum for different categories? Can you have for every blog a single forum for the comments?

All replies are handled by the XenForo engine, and so need to use its BBCode for any tags. Whilst some Wordpress themes may inform users that HTML is allowed this will no longer be the case, even when using the Wordpress editor you need to use tags such as ,
etc. It will be rendered by XenForo before display on the Wordpress page (it is also rendered pre-insertion into the Wordpress database so that all formatting isn't lost on those comments if you later delete the plugin).

Currently there is just a single forum ID that is used globally, but I'm creating the options pages right now and should be able to give you some control over this. Doing it by category as you suggest seems like a sensible idea to me, I'll look into that.

I also thought you might like to know that this morning I ran some tests on it with Wordpress MultiSite and after a few changes to the install script it now seems to work absolutely fine (though I haven't tested as thoroughly as I have with just normal Wordpress). Using WPMS just adds one step to the installation for the plugin; you need to define an array of XenForo usernames that should be considered Network Administrators in a separate configuration file and then Network Activate the whole plugin.

Top Bottom