XF 1.0 Pages

Pages allow you to manage simple content in the node tree. Find out more here:

http://xenforo.com/community/pages/example-page/

The node list display could do with some improvements. We have some ideas about that.

The exact look of the auto-generated navigation is a work-in-progress as well. :)

With all respect, all 5 respondents (Kirby, kick, Brogan, Chris, Lawrence) are devs. You might be able to do more than basic stuff other than setting it as a portal page.

On the other hand we as "vanilla" users don't see a lot of use cases without a page-builder or some sort of content creation helper such as integrated tables or something. I also agree that this feature is faily underdeveloped and not very useful right now. But everyone has his own opinion of course.

You make a valid point. Here is the landing page for my wife's site, it is just HTML: https://excitedaboutexit.com/
The top left block I was going to use for retrieving post snippets from certain forums, but alas she has no time for her site, and hasn't for a while, so I didn't add it.

@Chris D et al: come on, useless was exaggerated because I am frustrated but we have 2020, not 1998.

On the one hand the text editor gets love and polish and on the other hand very important features are completely neglected.

On the one hand the text editor gets love and polish and on the other hand very important features are completely neglected.
I'd say it is highy subjectiv what exactly are very important features.

To me, the pages feature is perfectly fine as it is right now and I'd rather like to see improvements in other areas, like
  • better integration between XF and XFMG
  • support for displaying image attachments as WebP
  • client side rendering performance improvements
which I feel are way more important than pages :)

@Chris D et al: come on, useless was exaggerated because I am frustrated but we have 2020, not 1998.

Well instead of coming up
With hyperbole with no substance, you might be better off doing something more constructive like contributing to or creating suggestion threads about the changes you want to see.

Sry guys, but compared to IPS Pages it's a joke.
😂 That’s why it’s a $100 application. If that’s what you’re expecting from a built in page manager in XF then I’m afraid you will be sorely disappointed. It’s $100 for a reason. Ours isn’t for a reason.

Even if it's "free", it simply isn't good or something special. Almost every script comes with such a feature nowadays, because in some countries you need this for imprints or other legal stuff.

you will be sorely disappointed

Too late, I am already pretty disappointed with XenForo and how it has developed over the last few years.

And I once was a huge fan of this software :(

Even if it's "free", it simply isn't good or something special. Almost every script comes with such a feature nowadays, because in some countries you need this for imprints or other legal stuff.

Too late, I am already pretty disappointed with XenForo and how it has developed over the last few years.

And I once was a huge fan of this software :(

Your site is running on IPB. For every one person that switches from XF to IPB, over 2.1 people switch from IPB to XF. This is according to digital point's site. Are you planning on switching back? If not, why are you even posting here?

And as shown, Pages are utilised, and in ways that some can not image (as demonstrated in this thread).

Edit: another example of Pages in use from my old site:

Attachments

• ac_atk.webp
    ac_atk.webp
    57 KB · Views: 48
  • inventory.webp
    inventory.webp
    47.3 KB · Views: 50
  • skills_feats.webp
    skills_feats.webp
    61.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Edit: another example of Pages in use from my old site:
This kind of stuff is exactly what we want to do, all of us. How to do that? More importantly, how to have it dynamically? This stuff is content. This makes the difference why someone will stay on our sites because this stuff will not be found anywhere else. But we have no tools to create it. Pages is just a blank page. It is like having a piece of paper. Of course, in hands of experts someone can turn that piece of paper into painting. But only skilled people can do that. So, someone like you can turn that page into what you showed. But we cannot. I am not expecting that XF should do everything for us, but there are also 0 tutorials or some templates we can learn from. To be relevant as a forum we need to be more than platform for discussion by providing wikis, databases, articles, etc. etc. And pages is the core of all of that I believe (I might be wrong).

This kind of stuff is exactly what we want to do, all of us. How to do that? More importantly, how to have it dynamically? This stuff is content. This makes the difference why someone will stay on our sites because this stuff will not be found anywhere else. But we have no tools to create it. Pages is just a blank page. It is like having a piece of paper. Of course, in hands of experts someone can turn that piece of paper into painting. But only skilled people can do that. So, someone like you can turn that page into what you showed. But we cannot. I am not expecting that XF should do everything for us, but there are also 0 tutorials or some templates we can learn from. To be relevant as a forum we need to be more than platform for discussion by providing wikis, databases, articles, etc. etc. And pages is the core of all of that I believe (I might be wrong).

The above is just an example of how powerful XF pages can be. With that said, I would like to see an editor on the front end for pages so you can add your own HTML and preview what it looks like right away, and an option to pull data from threads to be displayed in the page. But I'm not going to push the team to add those, as I think pages work pretty well as is, and there other things more important (my opinion) I would like to see added/improved.

The above is just an example of how powerful XF pages can be. With that said, I would like to see an editor on the front end for pages so you can add your own HTML and preview what it looks like right away, and an option to pull data from threads to be displayed in the page. But I'm not going to push the team to add those, as I think pages work pretty well as is, and there other things more important (my opinion) I would like to see added/improved.
Any html page can be powerful in the right hands. That is no argument. Pages is no exception to that. That is why we think it is "underwhelming" because it requires you to build from scratch but most of us lack the knowledge to do so. If XF provided some tools to build that page, exactly what you describe, then XF would make a difference. Widget system helps to build the page but that is very limited and only repeats information. It doesn't create content, only provides what is already available. But we need content and in order to create content, we need the right tools. With threads we have the editor, attachments, custom fields, prefixes and so on and so on. We have nothing for pages. So all our content is stuck in threads.
Pushing is strong word, we are just impressing our opinions and wishes. Right now 2.2 is going on, so perhaps there is a slim chance of having some content focused features, I am still crossing my fingers. But at least this discussion might help for 2.3 but who knows. We are in a forum, we are discussing, nothing wrong with that.

I am no HTML geek, just a general purpose IT guy, and I have managed to make use of pages for things like a Patrons page to acknowledge members who have contributed to the site (we don't have paid upgrades or memberships since our costs are fairly low). Admittedly, it's the first time I have hand-coded HTML in quite a while but it wasn't rocket science. Sure, I would be happy if page nodes came with a good editor or some other capabilities to help, but I'm managing to get mileage out of them without it and without a huge amount of skill.

But we need content and in order to create content, we need the right tools. With threads we have the editor, attachments, custom fields, prefixes and so on and so on. We have nothing for pages. So all our content is stuck in threads.
Well ... after all XenForo is a forum software, not a general purpose CMS to manage editorial content.
If you want to do that, there are other solutions that would be better suited for this task (Typo3, Drupal, Joomla, etc. - just to name a few).
Just my 0,02 €

I am no HTML geek, just a general purpose IT guy, and I have managed to make use of pages for things like a Patrons page to acknowledge members who have contributed to the site (we don't have paid upgrades or memberships since our costs are fairly low). Admittedly, it's the first time I have hand-coded HTML in quite a while but it wasn't rocket science. Sure, I would be happy if page nodes came with a good editor or some other capabilities to help, but I'm managing to get mileage out of them without it and without a huge amount of skill.
Not sure if your example is the right one here. What you describe is just a single page, am I correct? That is not what "content creation" is. Yeah, a single or two html pages, that is not a problem. One can also copy/paste from the internet.

I am talking about hundreds if not thousands of pages. Pages like the screenshots of Lawrence. As an example, I am trying to create a Wiki and have thousands of entries. I have dynamically working data tables integrated to each entry. Now my case is custom to me, so I won't display it as a "general need". What I am trying to say is that we need on this level stuff. Automated, integrated and dynamic. Creating a splash page or a Patrons page is not the same level as stuff like this.

Well ... after all XenForo is a forum software, not a general purpose CMS to manage editorial content.
If you want to do that, there are other solutions that would be better suited for this task (Typo3, Drupal, Joomla, etc. - just to name a few).
Just my 0,02 €
With all respect, with that kind of thinking mobile phones wouldn't have cameras or a touch screen. After all it is a phone and should be used to call people? And not used for taking pictures? Or listening to music, God forbid you can actually listen to music on your phones...

Sure, I get your angle and it would be too much to expect everything from a forum software. But the problem is we live in 2020 and not in 2000s. The internet evolves and we are still stuck with a 20 year old technology. Expecting some sort of evolution should be normal, wouldn't you agree?
Perhaps my vision is just wrong, all what I say might be trash. No problem. Maybe XF will evolve in a completely different route which I don't agree with. Fine. But at least evolve... do something to progress. Then at least I can get behind it and say it tries to stay relevant. Maybe not what I wished for, but all good.

Your situation is also different. You own many forums and you do it as your job. You don't care about content creation as much as others I would argue (with all respect). You are focusing on the backend of things, so the sites should be fast as possible or easy to manage as possible. You are in the volume business. You are just managing the sites, not actively creating content for them I would imagine. In any case content is always king. What I am suggesting is helping us to create content. Everyone can benefit from it. If you are the 21541651651th person to create a gaming forum, well, you might not understand how the game works but the serious ones care. Also, ironically, I should be the last person to talk about this as I 100% do all of this for non-commercial reasons. I invest time in my niche and pay everything from my own pocket, haven't received any donations or help. I actually could leave tomorrow and wouldn't have to spend any dime anymore. But 90% of you do it for commercial reasons. You should be in the frontline advocating for these of stuff as content generates revenue. You should know it the best that having powerful rankings on keywords is the way to generate clicks and that only happens with content.

:)

Excellent! Can you explain how you set a page as the index route? And how you’re pulling posts from your News section? Maybe a screen cap or two?

You can take a look here:

Couple of good addons you might want to consider at some point, not that you necessarily need them, but just because they might make things simpler, depending on what you want to do:

P.S. I imagine the new search forums feature coming out for 2.2 will make it easier to display targeted content on a page, although it might take some work to get it display just as you want. But there's also a few addons about to help with that...

Last edited:
Excellent! Can you explain how you set a page as the index route? And how you’re pulling posts from your News section? Maybe a screen cap or two?
A free 'plug & play' option is CinVin: Home....

After installing if you don't see the "Home" tab check your menu settings in your ACP as described in the add-on FAQ. There's a number of widgets available with a stock XF install so be sure to check out what widgets come with XF and then also check the resources sections for additional free widgets (@DL6 for example offers some nice ones for free).

For a "News" section, you could do something like use an instance of the stock XF widget "New Posts" or "New Threads" (depending on if you're after just new threads or recently updated threads) and in your widget options choose the "Forum Limits" selector to specify just your designed "News" forum node.

Top Bottom