Page could not be loaded

SyTry

Hello, I can't access this page :

It show me this error :
Screenshot_1.webp

Same for you or only me ? :unsure:

Regards, SyTry

I am also having members get this error and what is weird is that the error page uses my style. Does this suggest it's a server-side error? These members confirm it's not an ad-block issue. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 1624853411384.webp
    1624853411384.webp
    21.4 KB · Views: 169
I am also having members get this error and what is weird is that the error page uses my style.
As part of the PWA changes in 2.2, XF generates a custom error page and instructs browsers to cache it and display it if a page cannot be loaded properly. The reasons the page cannot be loaded may vary, from not having an internet connection or other intermittent network issues (client side), to the server not returning a response (server side), to ad blockers interfering with the requests.

I've also been continually getting the error on my two XF forums. No adblockers installed, mobile and desktop have noted the issue. VPN/noVPN doesn't seem to matter.

I've also noted it with XF a time or two...and need to pay more attention to it and get a screen shot. I thought this might be a new issue with the latest XF version, but obviously it has been going on longer than that.

I'm also currently experiencing the same error, however , I can connect to XENFORO with no issues from my home internet where as people in US & UK can't they are faced with the same issue

I've been having the same issue with my 2 XF forums for about a month now and a couple other XF forums I visit. Ctrl/F5 reloads the page fine but within 20-30 clicks it happens again. I'm on a Windows 10 desktop and have the issue with Firefox and Edge.

Several people have complained about this on our forums, and it just happened to me too.

No adblockers enabled, no internet connection issues, mobile or desktop, I can't seem to find a common cause

It happened to me just now a few minutes ago, I wasn't doing anything special, just clicked a link on the forums and that error was triggered.
The error page happened instantly after I clicked the link, as if there had been no interaction with the server.
I tried refreshing a second later and the page loaded just fine (the error was gone). It kind of feels like a "false negative".

I don't know what exactly triggers this page to appear, but could XF add some kind of mecanism to "retry" (retry whatever it's doing) once or twice before showing the error page? whatever I was doing should have worked fine.

I understand this is an issue with the service worker being offline or something.
If I look into /service_worker.js I see a reference to OFFLINE_ROUTE which is pushed to the browser in case of an issue with cache:
1633234802548.webp

1633234824618.webp

So I have added a temporary fix here in src/XF/Pub/Controller/ServiceWorker.php
1633234610469.png

Instead of showing the error page it'll just attempt to reload the page after 1 second of waiting.
I don't recommend anyone to do the same, I'm just trying it temporarily to see if it solves the issue.

If it does, I'll probably edit out the template "service_worker_offline" to display something more friendly and add an automatic javascript reload in there.

Last edited:
To clarify a bit, this page is automatically triggered by your browser when it fails to complete a request. It is (or should be) displayed only when you would have otherwise received a stock error page from your browser. This feature is simply meant to replace the stock error page with something more familiar and user friendly. We don't really do anything special besides instruct your browser to display this page (from the browser cache) when it can't complete a request.

Attachments

• chrome.webp
    chrome.webp
    13.4 KB · Views: 108
To clarify a bit, this page is automatically triggered by your browser when it fails to complete a request. It is (or should be) displayed only when you would have otherwise received a stock error page from your browser. This feature is simply meant to replace the stock error page with something more familiar and user friendly. We don't really do anything special besides instruct your browser to display this page (from the browser cache) when it can't complete a request.
do we have any way to disable this behavior then? because now everyone is assuming that there is an error on our site, whereas the error is on the client side.

if we leave the default browser error page at least there is a reason given for the error and the issues can be investigated

Not really, browsers require it for PWA support. You can edit the service_worker_offline and offline.less templates to present it however you like though.

We have had this happening of late, about a month. Frustrating micro slowdowns a page won't load, a quick refresh and the page loads OK. Nothing in the logs, and so intermittent it's hard to catch.

Members are still getting this issue. But it's intermittent and hard to track down. We have a wordpress front end and I checked that when the forum gets one of these mini slow downs/ errors, the wordpress install still works, so it's just affecting xF

Check your SSL certs....discovered an problem with mismatched expirations last night and are hoping it solves this issue. Worth exploring.

According to Win11/Chrome, Xenforo's cert expired June 14, 2021.

Check your SSL certs....discovered an problem with mismatched expirations last night and are hoping it solves this issue. Worth exploring.

According to Win11/Chrome, Xenforo's cert expired June 14, 2021.
thx - that did it for me.
I just renewed the lets encrypt cert in my server control center manually

Top Bottom