MG 2.2 Requested content cannot be loaded

Dashmiel

Hello everyone! I am having a situation with my media gallery similar to the issue described in this previously asked question post.

To my eternal chagrin however, this site was not being properly monitored and I do not appear to have a back up prior to when the issue must have appeared, so I can not simply replace the directories with confirmed working backups.

Yes, you may laugh or commiserate as desired; I will get my [backup]Sh!@ in order and do feel quite burned.

The site is on Xenforo v2.2.13 and XFMG 2.2.5.

Trying to load the images gives the below 'The requested content cannot be loaded. Please try again later message'.

Screenshot; MG No Thumbnail.webp

I am unable to view thumbnails at all however.

Screenshot No thumbnails.webp

New Images are visible:

Screenshot New Images Visible_No Thumbnails.webp

But not their thumbnails:

Screenshot New Images Visible_No Thumbnails_2.webp

The media items are all safely present in the /data directory:

Screen Shot Data_Dir.webp

And thumbnails are visible in /xfmg/thumbnail/#/

Screenshot Thumbnails in xfmg_thumbnail.webp

Within /data; /xengallery, /xengallery_videos, and /xfmg are folders at the same level. Their permissions currently are 0755 for the directories, and 0644 for the files.

Screenshot Data Directory.webp

Over at /internal_data, only /xengallery exists, and it does not mirror the contents of the same in /data:

Screenshot XenGallery2.webp

Screenshot XenGallery.webp

Everything above are just facts and nothing but the facts. I have no idea what the file structures are supposed to be, or what other files also handle permissioning for XFMG media items.

Around September of 2023, my host offered a free upgrade on resources to move the VM to new hardware. I don't know how the image they migrated would only break the media gallery instead of everything is done wrong, but I absolutely screwed the pooch because I can't even be sure if that is when the issue started.

I would appreciate any help or guidance anyone could throw my way!

Attachments

• Screenshot XenGallery.webp
    Screenshot XenGallery.webp
    32.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot Data Directory.webp
    Screenshot Data Directory.webp
    49.3 KB · Views: 2
The media items are all safely present in the /data directory:
The full media items themselves are typically stored in the internal_data/attachments/ directory. Only thumbnails are stored in the data/ directory. Further, the data/xengallery/ and internal_data/xengallery/ directories are legacy locations from XFMG 1 and should have been migrated to data/xfmg/ and internal_data/xfmg/ respectively when upgrading to XFMG 2.

Not too sure if the files have been misplaced, failed to transfer during the server migration, or some other third thing, but the error suggests the full media items are not at the expected location.

The full media items themselves are typically stored in the internal_data/attachments/ directory. Only thumbnails are stored in the data/ directory. Further, the data/xengallery/ and internal_data/xengallery/ directories are legacy locations from XFMG 1 and should have been migrated to data/xfmg/ and internal_data/xfmg/ respectively when upgrading to XFMG 2.

Not too sure if the files have been misplaced, failed to transfer during the server migration, or some other third thing, but the error suggests the full media items are not at the expected location.
Thank you so much your reply! I had no actual idea which folder would contain the media items, but I am glad to find it there as you say and still safe:

Attachments.webp

If I had to guess on why I have legacy locations in the file system; I messed up something non-critical years ago when upgrading, and it's now biting me after compounding with the migration.

How would I go about re-orienting XMFG to the files? And if manually deleting the legacy locations is needed, are data/xengallery/ and internal_data/xengallery/ the only ones needed?

Thank you so much your reply! I had no actual idea which folder would contain the media items, but I am glad to find it there as you say and still safe:
That folder contains all of the attachments on the forum (including those in posts, media items, and potentially others), so unfortunately it is still entirely possible that it does not contain all of the expected files.

How would I go about re-orienting XMFG to the files? And if manually deleting the legacy locations is needed, are data/xengallery/ and internal_data/xengallery/ the only ones needed?
Looking closer at the code, it actually seems like the corresponding attachment records might not exist in the database (or aren't set properly on the media items). This is likely tricky if not impossible to address without a working backup of the database, and presumes the files weren't deleted as well.

I'm afraid I can only recommend soliciting services from someone who may be able to check the server to further assess if the situation is salvageable and what steps would need to be taken.

Top Bottom