OSX 10.9 Mavericks

This iMessage which used to be gray, is now orange? WTF???

View attachment 59678
Mine are still grey, you sure you didn't edit it?

Screen Shot 2013-10-23 at 16.48.31.webp

I've never touched that setting and no one else uses my laptop. Most mine are gray on my Mac. but HERS is orange. :confused:

Hey there is one.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You can only use iMessage email addresses at the moment.

upload_2013-10-23_12-18-7.webp

I've seen this comment a few times. I've even see people say "I could build that for half the price". I'm still waiting for someone to show me their build (list of components/prices) to compare to the Mac Pro and how much cheaper they could do it.
I'm not sure what pillock thinks they can get s server grade CPU and mobo for half (Not even the lower bin LGA 2011 i7s would be that cheap), but the price difference is rarely greater than $350 at most. The point of that comment is that Apple is slowly screwing their professional customers over. It's a brilliant case design and the methodology for cooling, but it kills an serviceability for the device. Professionals bought the older Pros for two reasons. *nix based stability and longevity coupled with the fact it was easy to service the Pro sans the logic board (PC mobo with a small chip that made it Apple ready). Those D300s from AMD are likely mobile versions of whatever chipset they came from and were slightly tuned and relabeled. UK customers pay a base of $4,040 excluding VAT and Australian customers will be hit with a higher base price. Building a PC workstation using similar or better parts leaves a small $200 difference (Using server mobo and ECC RAM of course.), but the ability to service the machine makes it more appealing. No hate on Apple, I own many of their products. What I love about my current workstation is while most parts are out of warranty, a company will often replace a defective product and all I do is pay a small shipping fee. I built my workstation in 2008. I had a few hardware failures over the summer. The companies responsible replaced them for free.

If I was using a Pro for work and didn't like the idea of this new standard, I'd be looking at HP Z workstations. http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/workstations/z820.html

HP and Dell are known to take care of their business clients. The software available on both OS levels runs the same these days and since the PPC era ended, the performance between the two is practically the same. What edge Apple had was lost years ago. How the product runs years down the road is up to the owner of the product. My MBP has suffered from OSX rot many times because it's been used for the purpose it was built for. Not a fashion icon.

Last edited:
Have yet to have an issue, on any of the three computers I upgraded. Its been rather smooth actually.
Only real issue I have is that Gimp acts like a squirrel on amphetamines with it. No longer can tab between different areas. Have to use the mouse cursor and click. A few other quirks with it. It also screwed up my installation of BOINC.

HP and Dell are known to take care of their business clients. The software available on both OS levels runs the same these days and since the PPC era ended, the performance between the two is practically the same. What edge Apple had was lost years ago. How the product runs years down the road is up to the owner of the product. My MBP has suffered from OSX rot many times because it's been used for the purpose it was built for. Not a fashion icon.

Are you kidding me? I tell you what, go buy a Dell server. Got a hardware problem on a production server? Step one from tech support: reseat all the cards in the box, please. Really? Thats taking care of business clients? And you bought RHEL 6 from Dell and support. Guess what?You have no real OS support, just a middle man between you and Redhat tech support, which sucks.

Want to go with Windows? Okay, finger pointing between Dell and MS on device drivers.

Oh yeah, and dell buys parts on the sport market, so the hardware in the server you bought last month isn't the same as the one you bought this month.

You know why the grass is always greener on the other side? Because someone died and was buried under it.

I see no reason to upgrade to Mavericks. I use maybe 10% of the features of an OS......it just gets in the way if you have to study it! The idea is not to deal with an OS and just get busy with the tools (apps, browser) - at least in my book.

As to the Mac Pro, if you have to question the price then you are not the target market. They do not intend it for the average buyer. Not even me. I am using a 2008 Mac Pro as my main machine. It is more than powerful and fast enough. Think about that.....I paid maybe 1900 (I usually buy the older bottom-end)....and it's lasted for maybe 65 months for far. If I figure that I put 600 into it for SSD, various backup drives, more RAM, etc. - then it cost me:
2500 cost
-700 (value now)

$25 or so per month.

It's hard to me to see how that is objectionable to anyone who uses computers. I spend much more money on Coconut water.

I see no reason to upgrade to Mavericks. I use maybe 10% of the features of an OS......it just gets in the way if you have to study it! The idea is not to deal with an OS and just get busy with the tools (apps, browser) - at least in my book.

As to the Mac Pro, if you have to question the price then you are not the target market. They do not intend it for the average buyer. Not even me. I am using a 2008 Mac Pro as my main machine. It is more than powerful and fast enough. Think about that.....I paid maybe 1900 (I usually buy the older bottom-end)....and it's lasted for maybe 65 months for far. If I figure that I put 600 into it for SSD, various backup drives, more RAM, etc. - then it cost me:
2500 cost
-700 (value now)

$25 or so per month.

It's hard to me to see how that is objectionable to anyone who uses computers. I spend much more money on Coconut water.

I thought the same thing, but after installing it, no regrets. There is a lot of great productivity enhancements all over the place that I am enjoying significantly :)

I thought the same thing, but after installing it, no regrets. There is a lot of great productivity enhancements all over the place that I am enjoying significantly :)
Like what? I see different graphics, a better power saving mode and nothing else.

Well I didn't really play around with the one before Mavericks before updating to it. Got the MBP and by the time I got it online boom there is the Mavericks download. So I don't really have much to compare it to. It's been a long time since I have used OSX. Last version that could run on non Intel was the last version I used. That's been over 5 years. I've just had enough of Windows.

Such as?

I am the same, my rMBP and my iMac are both fine.
I have to restart sometimes and secure deleting files went from fast to slow again. My computer seems slower starting up too. I have 16 gb of ram wtf. Is there something on macs that lets you control what programs start up when you turn on the mac? I do that on windows using msconfig when stuff is slow.

Top Bottom