Now that Xenforo 1.1 is out, let's talk about version 1.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be nice to see some examples of various pages and how people are using them and maybe show off some of the advanced functionality that can be accomplished. Maybe that would sway people's opinion and make them use pages more.
Embed Tinychat, Pixlr, Farmville and Mafiawars
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/embed-tinychat-pixlr-farmville-and-mafiawars-to-pages.23690

Tinychat
http://www.the8thlegion.com/forum/pages/tinychat

Pixlr
http://www.the8thlegion.com/forum/pages/pixlr-editor/

Farmville
http://www.the8thlegion.com/forum/pages/farmville/

Mafiawars
http://www.the8thlegion.com/forum/pages/mafiawars/

Arcade message and link for guests http://www.the8thlegion.com/forum/pages/arcade/

By the logic that everything should be made by XenForo, nothing would get done, or the platform would turn into a jack of all trades, master of none scenario such as IPB, which I definitely do not want to see.

The product mentality behind IPB is, I think, a fairly decent one in theory. No matter how malleable a bit of software is, it is never so malleable that add-ons can do everything. Some things rightfully should be part of the core software. Having said that, I don't believe XF has the manpower to spread itself so thin and should concentrate on what it does best for the foreseeable future.

- We certainly don't need User Albums since Pepelac already have made an excellent add-on for this (or maybe they can buy it from him to speed up development?).
- User blogs? I have yet to see a forum where this is being used a lot.
- CMS? There seems to be some very good bridges for Wordpress and the likes. Not necessary to bloat the XenForo software with this.

The website that me and a few friends ran could have definitely used blogs. I've never seen the point of having a blog for each user. However, having a select few people who can write articles to keep its members up to date and help neighboring communities would have been really good for us.

As far as bridges, no offense but I think that's the worst possible solution. To have multiple pieces of software on a server communicating through a bridge limits the usefulness of all software involved. There's no real integration much less deep integration that can enrich a users and administrators experience.

Of all the members that read this thread, only 1 came forward. That tells quite a lot. Keep the blogs (bloat) out of XF. Don't go down the same road that vBulletin did.

Not everyone considers it bloat. Many people enjoy only having one piece of software to maintain rather than multiple pieces all with their own add-ons, communities, code bases,, and architectural designs. Of course I don't think XenForo should have a blog built in as that dilutes its goal, there must be a happy medium.

1. PAGES. Use of bbcode editor - on the frontend. Access to edit as a user permission.
Otherwise they are practically useless to me as none of my mods do html and I don't want them accessing the ACP anyway.

BBCode isn't really great for making pages as it's not just some text you want to display. There's also structure, presentation, and possibly interactivity considerations which BBCode just isn't meant to do.

3. global sidebar + sidebar manager with in/export feature for blocks

To be quite honest the MVC architecture has never been able to handle widgets very well (which I assume you're describing). The code has always been quite garish. I do have a suggestion for this which I may write up at some point, but it's definitely a 2.0 suggestion.

Not everyone considers it bloat. Many people enjoy only having one piece of software to maintain rather than multiple pieces all with their own add-ons, communities, code bases,, and architectural designs. Of course I don't think XenForo should have a blog built in as that dilutes its goal, there must be a happy medium.
Agreed. As long as the blog is separate to the core software, I'm happy.

The product mentality behind IPB is, I think, a fairly decent one in theory. No matter how malleable a bit of software is, it is never so malleable that add-ons can do everything. Some things rightfully should be part of the core software. Having said that, I don't believe XF has the manpower to spread itself so thin and should concentrate on what it does best for the foreseeable future.

The problem with IPB is they've focused on so many products that none of them have actually gotten to a point where you would consider them simply outstanding. Their forums are decent, but feels sluggish and just doesn't influence user posting. Their official add-ons are just sub-standard, nothing is actually worthwhile about them. While they're better than what is offered officially by vBulletin, they're just slightly better.

I don't believe everything should be an add-on, and fully feel if something would fit in the core it should make it into the core. The problem is many people suggest things that are considered niche or are specific to their site. Those are the things I don't want to see in the core, because those are things that an add-on should be doing.

I've never seen the point of having a blog for each user. However, having a select few people who can write articles to keep its members up to date and help neighboring communities would have been really good for us.

Good point.

As far as bridges, no offense but I think that's the worst possible solution. ... Many people enjoy only having one piece of software to maintain rather than multiple pieces all with their own add-ons, communities, code bases,, and architectural designs.

Agreed again. I tried running Wordpress with XF and it was a nightmare - together with a forum that has to stay on VB for the time being, plus complex email architecture, a local database, - not to mention the human side of the business as one should not forget that for some of us the software maintenance is not our primary function.

So ONE admincp please. A good add-on is the happy medium.

BBCode isn't really great for making pages as it's not just some text you want to display. There's also structure, presentation, and possibly interactivity considerations which BBCode just isn't meant to do.

I agree if you want columns, grids, comments, and permissions, the whole nine yards, better to try Jaxel's wiki (no permissions there though) or wait for a better Articles manager (which I have heard of behind the scenes as an add-on)

For straightforward Articles however I find the bbcode in forum posts quite adequate.
With it I can use formatted text, alignment, upload a picture and place it.
For interaction I prefer to link to a relevant forum thread or two as I much prefer to keep forums as the centre of interaction.
I would need add-ons, - a pagination js and citation (auto links for footnotes) but the basic forum post functionality would be a huge step up from the bare html at present.

Now that XenForo 1.1 is out the way and you'll be looking for some new features to add in 1.2 version. I want to suggest what's been brought up here before, that of having a counter indication displayed on the forum homepage in the header area next to the other 2 counters already there.

Due to spamming getting worse, your going to have more people using manual activation in the future. And keep having to go into the back-end checking each time if anyone is waiting activation is not idea really, plus they could be overlooked for hours, days even. But having an instant indicator on the forum home lets you know as Admin right away people are waiting to be activated.

From a user-friendly point of view, having it there is extremely user -friendly if your using manual activation on new forum members.

My needs are quite modest but I would seriously hope they would be met before 1.2.

1. PAGES. Use of bbcode editor - on the frontend. Access to edit as a user permission.
Otherwise they are practically useless to me as none of my mods do html and I don't want them accessing the ACP anyway.

2. ACP USER DISPLAY
Date or joining, Date of last login.

Agree 100%

Boost the members list page. OK, you have some small avatar images showing the highest posting few members and newest few members. But there's no option to arrange all members by "Date Last Visited (Recent or Oldest), Post Count (High or Low), Date Registered (New and Old).
Please...no user albums. Leave that to modifications or official addons.

I'd like to see a coupon system for the payments. Maybe even a way to show when prices have been reduced (say for the holiday season, showing the number crossed off and show the discounted number).

Also, I'd like to see what DigitalPoint suggested about adding the Paypal API to give our users more options, especially that of cancelling recurring payments through their user panel rather than going into paypal's confusing system.

I don't mind User Albums myself integrated into the forum software. Each to their own I guess, but a full blown Gallery isn't really needed for me, a decent integrated User Albums would do fine.

1: StopForumSpam default in XenForo 1.2 (improve spam protection without having to use mods)
2: Latest Threads +Latest Posts for sidebar in XenForo 1.2 (give more modular options to be used and displayed in sidebar)

2: Latest Threads +Latest Posts for sidebar in XenForo 1.2 (give more modular options to be used and displayed in sidebar)
You can actually do that with a simple template edit in template ad_sidebar. It is a very simple javascript that fetches the boards rss feed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom