Now that Xenforo 1.1 is out, let's talk about version 1.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can actually do that with a simple template edit in template ad_sidebar. It is a very simple javascript that fetches the boards rss feed.

RSS Feed is not really the answer for grabbing Latest Threads, usually because they are "Delayed". Not sure if that's the same case with XenForo though? But when I used this method with vBulletin years ago, it was never a good solution because latest threads pulled from RSS might only appear 10-20 minutes later when syndicated feed cache updates.

The only two things i really require is an Official Mobile Style and ad Downloads/Resources Mod (yes i do know there is one in the works, but i am just listing the things that i would like to see).

I really don't want a CMS or a gallery in Xenforo's core, I think those should either be Premium 3rd Party add ons or a long term project which is an Officially Supported Add on and not part of the core.

I guess from my personal perspective, I am more interested in a lightweight, scale-able, optimized forum. CMS, Blogs, Galleries, etc, those are some of the reason I got rid of VB. I (and for me), don't need those features. I want a forum that works, and works well. I don't need to have built in link advertising, built in email services that cost me additional money. I just want my core forum software and the ability to add the features they benefit my community.

Now, if XF wants to build a add-on system, I am fine with that. They can create a official features all day long, but make them as plugins. Then as certain people want to add blogs, CMS, galleries, etc, they can just add it to the core features. That way, they people who want just a lightweight "forum" software can have it, and everyone else can add the features that they "need" without bulking up the core software.

Russ

Oh God please no. CKEditor was a pain on vb4. It's part of why I converted to Xenforo. Just add the option of the editor automatically saving what we wrote if we accidentally leave the thread or the browser crashes.

lol I liked the CKEditor at first but I hated that pop up box that kept coming up asking if it was okay to leave the page. Extremely annoying. It slows down browsing experience.

I really don't want a CMS or a gallery in Xenforo's core, I think those should either be Premium 3rd Party add ons or a long term project which is an Officially Supported Add on and not part of the core.
Not in the core but as add-on that is made by Xenforo just like how IPB is doing it.

Oh God please no. CKEditor was a pain on vb4. It's part of why I converted to Xenforo. Just add the option of the editor automatically saving what we wrote if we accidentally leave the thread or the browser crashes.
I thought the same, but the guys here gave me a link to a demo of IPB (that uses ckeditor) and is awsome, nothing similar to vbulletin

If Xenforo are to implement CKEditor then please do it with extra care and attention. vB and IPB both massively screwed up implementing it and as a result it was very buggy (it currently still is might I add) and screwed up many posts.

I would not implement CKEditor without extensive testing and several pre-releases.

If Xenforo are to implement CKEditor then please do it with extra care and attention. vB and IPB both massively screwed up implementing it and as a result it was very buggy (it currently still is might I add) and screwed up many posts.

I would not implement CKEditor without extensive testing and several pre-releases.
Sorry to bump this up but I've got something worth thinking about.

I've been using a rather awesome CMS built on CodeIgniter called PyroCMS. Much like countless other systesm, they use CKEditor.

However we've found a big bug, it exists on every single instance of CKEditor, and the 'fix' that has been provided does not work. The CKEditor team seem to have given up trying to fix it too.

Basically there is a (non) feature called 'AutoParagraph' - it adds paragraph tags to EVERYTHING. Doesnt sound too bad, but when you try using you'll find half the file you're left with a big ass gap at the top and bottom of posts as its automatically adding extra p tags every time you update/save a form that uses CKEditor.

The bug has been investigated on Drupal and PyroCMS, neither have found a solution. The CKEditor team have also made it clear that they have no intention to spend any more time trying to fix it, and have hinted that it cant be fixed at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom