Now that Xenforo 1.1 is out, let's talk about version 1.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to bump this up but I've got something worth thinking about.

I've been using a rather awesome CMS built on CodeIgniter called PyroCMS. Much like countless other systesm, they use CKEditor.

However we've found a big bug, it exists on every single instance of CKEditor, and the 'fix' that has been provided does not work. The CKEditor team seem to have given up trying to fix it too.

Basically there is a (non) feature called 'AutoParagraph' - it adds paragraph tags to EVERYTHING. Doesnt sound too bad, but when you try using you'll find half the file you're left with a big ass gap at the top and bottom of posts as its automatically adding extra p tags every time you update/save a form that uses CKEditor.

The bug has been investigated on Drupal and PyroCMS, neither have found a solution. The CKEditor team have also made it clear that they have no intention to spend any more time trying to fix it, and have hinted that it cant be fixed at all.

That clearly sucks.

I would like to see a freeze on 'forum' feature bells and whistles being added and for the team to address some of the core barriers that are stopping some forums from migrating.

For me, the ability to post basic articles in a category hierarchy to an overall homepage (with widgets) is a core need - this *could* be achieved by bridging a CMS but nothing stable exists yet for my needs at least.

The above bridge would also address my other need - the ability for users to retain their blog posts (thousands in my case).

Other barriers (for me) would see the need for custom thread fields as well as a solution to my biggest barrier, this is highlighted in my signature... Im waiting for a stock feature or mod that will address that need - even basically.

That clearly sucks.
Yup, Pyro have resorted to moving to a markup editor as of their next major revision. For now we're having to publish an article, then go back in to manually edit it to remove the extra <p> tags being left by the crummy editor :(

Personally I dont like WYSIWYG editors on forums at all. A simple bbcode system works perfectly fine.

I would like to see a freeze on 'forum' feature bells and whistles being added and for the team to address some of the core barriers that are stopping some forums from migrating.

For me, the ability to post basic articles in a category hierarchy to an overall homepage (with widgets) is a core need - this *could* be achieved by bridging a CMS but nothing stable exists yet for my needs at least.

The above bridge would also address my other need - the ability for users to retain their blog posts (thousands in my case).

Other barriers (for me) would see the need for custom thread fields as well as a solution to my biggest barrier, this is highlighted in my signature... Im waiting for a stock feature or mod that will address that need - even basically.

The two uses of "for me" are a dead giveaway that what you're complaining about are issues that you would like to see addressed. I doubt that the developers are going to stop adding "bells and whistles" so that your wish list is addressed.

The two uses of "for me" are a dead giveaway that what you're complaining about are issues that you would like to see addressed. I doubt that the developers are going to stop adding "bells and whistles" so that your wish list is addressed.
This is just an unnecessary inciteful comment. Obviously this is from my perspective since I am writing the post. Lack of forum and cms has been cited as the major barrier to switching by tons of people not only me.

This is just an unnecessary inciteful comment. Obviously this is from my perspective since I am writing the post. Lack of forum and cms has been cited as the major barrier to switching by tons of people not only me.

It's not. It's just calling things as I see them. You said your remedy would "address some of the core barriers that are stopping some forums from migrating," as though it were a matter of record. Is it? Name some of those forums that aren't migrating as a result of your issues. If you can't, your premise is busted and your points are invalid.

Do your own research. There are plenty of people screaming for a CMS. Blogs does have a solution that is perfectly adequate it seems (add-on)...
If a CMS solution that was stable, well supported and workable was available many more forums would switch. Yes, this is making a few assumptions but people are lazy and want an easy solution. Many people running ip.content and blogs for instance would switch.

If you don't believe my assumptions then fine, i see them as obvious to anybody. you are welcome to disagree but argue for the sake of it is petty.

Personally I dont like WYSIWYG editors on forums at all. A simple bbcode system works perfectly fine.
Right now, the Xenforo editor is useless for forums that post a lot of code. I have to go to extreme lengths, in order repost an edited content as all tabs are gone. vBulletin shined in that area, we never had any issues.

Define extreme lengths? Cant you just click the the 'more options' button from the edit window? Maybe I am misunderstanding your meaning.

If xF falls short in some area then go right ahead and request a feature improvement and Im sure it will be adopted if others feel the same way.

In case you have not seen this:-
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/geshi-syntax-highlighter.89/

Useful if a lot of code is posted on your site :)

Yep the only thing I don't like about XenForo is the editor. Writing add-on releases with this editor is just a huge pain and I usually turn off the editor. Pasting sucks just as bad. BBCode Editors in web applications are just lacking, a LOT. They haven't innovated and don't do what they have been doing for so long now well.

Ahhh... are you talking about the editor in the back end when developing mods? Ok, that makes sense. Has anyone put in a request?

I read your suggestion thread. It's cloaked in the trappings of improving usability and readability, but basically you want support for keyword ads built into the core. And you want built-in Spellcheck to make sure people are spelling your advertising keywords correctly so you don't miss a buck.

Sorry, but I find this kind of advertising on forums disdainful and I refuse to participate in a forum that monetizes my speech and hijacks my own words into an endorsement for a product I may vehemently disagree with.

Ahhh... are you talking about the editor in the back end when developing mods? Ok, that makes sense. Has anyone put in a request?
No. The editor in the ACP is fine. Just a textarea. This editor I am typing in now is riddled with bugs and annoyances. If I had time I would be modding to use a better editor (if any).

I read your suggestion thread. It's cloaked in the trappings of improving usability and readability, but basically you want support for keyword ads built into the core. And you want built-in Spellcheck to make sure people are spelling your advertising keywords correctly so you don't miss a buck.

Sorry, but I find this kind of advertising on forums disdainful and I refuse to participate in a forum that monetizes my speech and hijacks my own words into an endorsement for a product I may vehemently disagree with.
I'm assuming you mean my signature link. Actually, the keyword advertising is something I make no use of and never have. Those who know my forum can check that - its a very educational student focused forum in a medical niche.

My main reason for suggesting this is actually for improving usability and participation. The are many industry specific terms on my site (currently on vB) so when terms and acronyms such as APH, PPH and others that I can define are shown in user created posts a mod automatically links those keywords to a glossary definition of the term - this allows users not so familiar with the terms to understand posts in the context of how they written. That is my only use of such a mod - Forgive me for feeling that many niche sites (ie, technical, medical, educational) could use something similar.

I added the keyword advertising / monetisation bits because frankly its an obvious 'other use' for the add on. I tried to think of all uses so that there were many carrots for development. For what its worth, the keyword advertising downsides as you mention I agree with, but thats not what I would personally use it for anyway - others might.

I'm a little insulted you find some warped alterior motive in my post feldon - I had the best of intentions and never thought for a moment it would be perceived that way. [edit] in fact, i have rewritten that post to remove keywords advertising references... people will discover monetisation uses anyway and maybe they should not be promoted so much, sorry.

No. The editor in the ACP is fine. Just a textarea. This editor I am typing in now is riddled with bugs and annoyances. If I had time I would be modding to use a better editor (if any).
What bugs have you seen? I am yet to encounter anything negative with the editor

What bugs have you seen? I am yet to encounter anything negative with the editor
Bugs:
Pasting formated stuff in chrome (I didn't get it in opera).
Not keeping tabs when pasting.
Sometimes buttons simply don't do what they are meant to for me.

Annoyances:
iframes!

There is more but I can't think of them right now. My biggest issues are pasting and taking forever to load when doing things like images. Really really doesn't fit well with such a responsive forum.

My biggest issues are pasting and taking forever to load when doing things like images. Really really doesn't fit well with such a responsive forum.
TOTALLY agreed! Forum software like vBulletin are at least 10 times faster when it comes to pop-up windows for inserting images. Why the developers of Xenforo went for such a slow solution is beyond me.

Why the developers of Xenforo went for such a slow solution is beyond me.
It has been explained several times.

At the time of development, CK Editor had a serious bug which ruled it out completely.
Tiny MCE was the least buggy of the WYSIWYG editors available.

At the time of development, CK Editor had a serious bug which ruled it out completely. Tiny MCE was the least buggy of the WYSIWYG editors available.
Point taken, but hasn't there been any better solutions in the timeframe between the development and today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom