Now that Xenforo 1.1 is out, let's talk about version 1.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think a mobile style is needed, the current style with some reductions would be a great mobile style. As an example you can remove the avatar row on this page, declutter redundand elements like "Page 2 of 2" and make some links larger, and you have a mobile style. I hope the mobile style is a single CSS stylesheet optimized for iOS, Android.

This thread is yet more proof why it's impossible to please everyone.

One person's bloat is another person's absolute need.

Even putting the option in for a certain feature will cause some to complain as they don't want it at all, even if it can be disabled.

This thread is yet more proof why it's impossible to please everyone.

Even putting the option in for a certain feature will cause some to complain as they don't want it at all, even if it can be disabled.
i have to agree (because of my drama queen status)

Yes, concentrating on what a forum is about (users exchanging posts) is a good thing.

I think you have enough experience on xf moderation to give the devs some suggestions to make a moderators life easier. Lots of things take too much time as thread merging, solving reports. I think these are areas that can be improved.

All I want is a CMS! but that's being ambitious.
You got a "admin" cms already with the pages :) For a cms, I think this community hugely differs in its opinion what its about. Some like it to be an article thing, others want a perfect cms where you can setup a forum-content-type or a blog-content-type with a few mouse clicks. You would be able to create a blog system with a few clicks!

It's been stated that XF is going to focus on being a quality forum, and allowing developers to write add-ons and plugins. I'm not Kier, but it seems rather unlikely that XF would add a shopping cart feature to XF beyond the rudimentary paid subscription system. I just think it's totally beyond the scope of XenForo to deal with tax laws, shipping calculations, inventory management, order tracking, and all the other cruft that a shopping cart requires.

If you are running a sales site that needs forum support, I'd see if you can get someone to modify your shopping cart software to automatically create an account in your XenForo forum, populate the user account with the relevant information, and then e-mail the user information on how to login to and use the forum should they be interested in using it. Most purchasers of products don't feel the need to comment on it unless there's a problem.

Noted! I am just happy with a fully functional paid subscription manager and not looking for a sophisticated shopping cart system.And I am sure many forum owners want this.

It's been stated that XF is going to focus on being a quality forum, and allowing developers to write add-ons and plugins.
Source please !
I don't see any evidence of Xenforo.com "getting out of the addon business".
I think it would be a good idea and would promote development ... but I've never seen any commitments to that path.
I have heard Kier say Xenforo 1.x is a forum only.

I'm not Kier, but it seems rather unlikely that XF would add a shopping cart feature to XF beyond the rudimentary paid subscription system. I just think it's totally beyond the scope of XenForo to deal with tax laws, shipping calculations, inventory management, order tracking, and all the other cruft that a shopping cart requires.
As is often the case feldon is right on the money.

1. PAGES. Use of bbcode editor - on the frontend. Access to edit as a user permission.
Otherwise they are practically useless to me as none of my mods do html and I don't want them accessing the ACP anyway.
This one I really want.
I don't see why KAM can't throw everyone a bone and make Pages and good as Posts.
(I'd also want Pages to show up in What's New) :)

This one I really want.
I don't see why KAM can't throw everyone a bone and make Pages and good as Posts.
(I'd also want Pages to show up in What's New) :)
I bet if it was that simple it would have been done already(bbcode in pages) and really since when creating a you can include raw html anything you can do with a bbcode you can do with the html you used to create the bbcode itself. I wouldn't mind it, but it is hardly a problem. I actually have something I made a bbcode of using the raw html from the code in a page and it works out just fine.

The reason I say it is not imperative that bbcodes be usable on pages is because pages are not user created therefor there really isn't a need for bbcode which basically facilitates users being able to do things they normally wouldn't be able to do. The fact that the only person/s who can edit a page already has access to entering html css and js , makes the need for bbcode in pages a moot point IMHO.

Not really. Xenforo.com doesn't even use Pages. They aren't that useful in their current state except for the brave. The pages aren't even able (unless modified) to be under their own Tab !
I did this with pages...

these shows 2 bbcodes I made, in use as the raw html that created the bbcodes.
http://xenxero.com/index.php?pages/blahblahblah/

And this was a test of a slideshow I made for pages and another bbcode as raw html below it...
http://xenxero.com/index.php?pages/TEST-demo-0-0-1/

To use pages you must have basic knowledge of html. Now I haven't had a reason to make something serious mostly because I am just trying to learn but the fact that I am learning and can use pages to do that makes pages very powerful to me. I can't think of another web software period that allows me to make any thing I can in html and inject it as page content

Stay on the Forum-Road.

Improve the Node-Handling. If you have hundreds of forums, it is a mess to handle them.
Improve User-Handling. It is difficult to handle multiple Usergroups with many Forums.

Improve the Search. Big-Board Search is one of the really important things! My Users ran away, because the vB Search Engine is terrible. They use Google.

Do not develop many new things around the Fourm, improve the existing things! Optimized Template-Handling for Developers. Tab-Manager and Sidebar-Manager.
Advertising Manager.

There are many things to do, before XF should add Features like a CMS or Albums. XF is a Forum Software, and should be used so.

If you want a Community Solution, buy one like Handshakes.

The reason I say it is not imperative that bbcodes be usable on pages is because pages are not user created
Very good point.
They definitely need to be create-able outside the adminCP, essentially user created.
Through permissions, I could determine who would have the right to make pages.
I have a list of "wants" for Pages in the pages thread.

I think the basic situation would be

Pages are just like creating the first post in a thread.
Except they exist outside the Forums tab.

Why should users be able to create pages?

I thought long about this (because several users requested this for my add-on) but i couldn't find any real scenario for this.

If they need custom content (like present there products for advertising, band page, etc...) it's much better to have an custom content type for this instead of limited html pages...

Very good point.
They definitely need to be create-able outside the adminCP, essentially user created.
Through permissions, I could determine who would have the right to make pages.
I have a list of "wants" for Pages in the pages thread.

I think the basic situation would be

Pages are just like creating the first post in a thread.
Except they exist outside the Forums tab.

The problem with user created pages is...(assuming for some reason xf went that way which tbh I cannot see happening)

A. you either need to trust your members all know html css and js...other wise they can do some ugliness

B. You'd need to create a whole toolset similar to bbcodes that basically gave them access to basical html functions other wise your going to have basically a blog page with text and no organizational procedures implemented. For that just use lnblog and actually let users add to a collaborative set of works that can be navigated through. Basically what you are describing is a blog with less functionality than a normal blog ,when there is an addon that pretty much accomplishes what you are looking for.

C. Then there is the problem of a user created page...where does it go in the node tree... do they choose who sees it? This undermines the whole point of being an admin....as a user I can create a page that looks official now and put any link I want in there and if I make it look professional enough I can use your site to take advantage of your users until you see it and remove it.

Pages should just be pages. I mean I have some ideas regarding pages...the problem is without a real understanding of the backbone of code that makes them work, any suggestion can be sound but once you get into how it works, a lot of suggestions just become white noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom