Not receiving Alerts on Watched threads ? Bug ?

Digital Doctor

I'm pretty sure I'm not receiving alerts in certain situations.

My Alert preferences - are all checked, none have been unchecked. (essentially default settings).

Forinstance:

XenPorta thread - I am subscribed to it (aka I watch it), I see it at the top of New Threads on What's New ... but I didn't receive an alert.

Is it just me ?

Other problem threads:
XenAtendo thread

I see that both of those have entries in Unread Watched Threads.
Do you not receive alerts if there already is an entry in the Unread Watched Threads ? (I dont think so).

Any ideas why I dont seem to be receiving alerts ?

If you have already received an alert for a thread you are watching but haven't visited the thread then I don't think you will receive any more alerts.
It's the same as email notificiations.

If you were to receive alerts for every reply then potentially you could end up with hundreds of alerts if you watch a lot of threads and don't visit for a few days.

I don't think that is ideal.
Just because I didn't catch up one one unread post 3 days ago, I've essentially done away with that ALERT forever ?
This is certainly not what I anticipated would happen.
If Anything .... I think I should receive a BIGGER alert in that there are previous unread posts .... AND ANOTHER ONE !!

I like the idea of a forum that adapts to the user's experience and knowledge.
Almost like a "Guide" that tells you what is what ... but goes away once it sees you know what the scoop is.

One idea might be to use a Notice to alert people when they first visit
http://xenforo.com/community/watched/threads
.. mention to them ....
Hey ... did you know you won't receive alerts for threads in this Unread Watched Threads section ?

The user could dismiss [x] the notice once they've read it.

It's all about helping the newbies ! As they are the future :)

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/idea-a-forum-that-adapts-to-the-user.20416/

I like the Idea #2 it could help the users understand what is going on with the notices and lead them to the watched threads page. :)

And I will borrow the idea of the message in that page to explain the behaviour of the notice system.

Thanks Digital Doctor! :p

I am not sure if it has something to do with cron jobs or timing of them, or what. But, I sometimes get Alerts and sometimes not for watched threads. That is, I will hit the What's New link, and see a thread I have watched, but have not received an alert for it. This is kind of rare, but it has happened many times to me. (I used to have a worse problem with vb and subscribed threads- I would sometimes get email notification of a new post, but often I would not for days until I logged into the site again, then I would get it. Because of that experience, I was not too concerned with the rare times I did not get Alerts here- like I said, I was not sure if it was something weird with cron jobs or something like that).

I am not sure if it has something to do with cron jobs or timing of them, or what. But, I sometimes get Alerts and sometimes not for watched threads.
I got an Alert from FixitWhizKid upon returning ... having been away from the site for some time.
The Alert appeared .... and then went away.
I figured it had expired .... but I did see it briefly.

Title change for BroganBot: Not receiving Alerts on Watched threads ? Bug ?
Not receiving Alerts on Watched threads ? [ Read why! ]

Top Bottom