Nexus 7 tablet?

My problem with tablets is that, while cool, anything you can do with them can be done better with either a laptop, a phone or a desktop computer. They just don't seem to have any real added value for me.

I think you have it backwards, anything you can do with a phone, laptop or desktop you can now do with a tablet. That is why the iPhone and its imitators have been so successful, instead of three devices, a PDA, a phone and an iPad, you had one device.

I've been very happy with my nexus 7. Battery life is excellent, and jelly bean (os) runs very smoothly and much better than i thought it would be. Games run smoothly, no grumbles with it and does the job nicely so much so I'm purchasing the 32 gig model and giving my brother the 16 gig n7.

I think you have it backwards, anything you can do with a phone, laptop or desktop you can now do with a tablet. That is why the iPhone and its imitators have been so successful, instead of three devices, a PDA, a phone and an iPad, you had one device.
Except not really. A phone is useful for calling, and because of the small size you can easily keep it with you at all times.

A laptop is useful because it's compact enough to carry to important things, yet you can easily do stuff like typing on it, which makes it useful in work and school related situations.

A computer is useful because it can generally do more, is nicer to work with, has more power, and generally works the nicest for longer periods of time. (for me, at least)

A tablet can do a bit of everything, but can't master any of them, which leaves those products superior in my opinion. You can't game on tablets, they're too big compared to phones, they lack a keyboard, you can't play any serious games on them, etc.

I've been very happy with my nexus 7. Battery life is excellent, and jelly bean (os) runs very smoothly and much better than i thought it would be. Games run smoothly, no grumbles with it and does the job nicely so much so I'm purchasing the 32 gig model and giving my brother the 16 gig n7.
I'm thinking about another one since my wife has now found skype to cut down on our phone bills since we only have cells. No landlines. Out of network calls add up quick.

Another subject...
Why do people think a 7" tablet is designed to replace a laptop or desktop? It doesn't.

And why did it take Apple so long to recognize that there is a market for smaller tablets?
Nevermind. Sales revenue going to someone else.

And why did it take Apple so long to recognize that there is a market for smaller tablets?

Apple, at this point, works a bit more carefully than other vendors. Others just spit out products - most fail, some make it. No one chides them for failed products.

Apple - whether for good or bad - is held to a higher standard. Virtually every product they sell must succeed.

Also, in some cases it is best to see whether customer accept the new form-factor.....Apple and Google probably watched the Kindle and learned something.

Apple, at this point, works a bit more carefully than other vendors. Others just spit out products - most fail, some make it. No one chides them for failed products.

Apple - whether for good or bad - is held to a higher standard. Virtually every product they sell must succeed.

Also, in some cases it is best to see whether customer accept the new form-factor.....Apple and Google probably watched the Kindle and learned something.
Really? I think that would warrant it's own thread.
Add: I do agree they must sell to succeed but people also accept flaws in their products.
Not that any product is without flaw. They are just better at spinning them.

I'm thinking about another one since my wife has now found skype to cut down on our phone bills since we only have cells. No landlines. Out of network calls add up quick.

Another subject...
Why do people think a 7" tablet is designed to replace a laptop or desktop? It doesn't.

I prefer Tango to Skype due to it not being as much a buggy piece of crap: http://www.tango.me/

Skype on mobile eats a ton of data and battery (More than it should), and is just annoying as hell. Tango runs in the background, so there isn't as much harm using it.

100's of millions of iPhones, iPads and imitators sold say REALLY. People want one device not three.
The last few iterations of those devices have included imitators of features made by other manufacturers.

Apple hasn't been the market leader for a while now.

I prefer Tango to Skype due to it not being as much a buggy piece of crap: http://www.tango.me/

Skype on mobile eats a ton of data and battery (More than it should), and is just annoying as hell. Tango runs in the background, so there isn't as much harm using it.
I have Tango installed too. Skype just seems to be more popular.
I'd really like to see a bridge to use Facetime though.

The last few iterations of those devices have included imitators of features made by other manufacturers. Apple hasn't been the market leader for a while now.

Since Samsung et al smartphones are all iPhone imitations, likewise the tablets to the iPad, Apple will always be the leader of the market for foreseeable future as long as "It's as good as or better than an iPhone/iPad" is the marketing pitch of Apple's competitors.

Only place Apple is not the market leader is the convertible tablets where MS and Intel are carving out a niche with the tablet convertible Surfaces and Ultrabooks based on the same market demand for consolidated devices. Why buy a laptop and a tablet when one device can do both jobs, even be a desktop by adding a monitor?

The mid-sized tablet is a perfect fit in-between......a full size tablet CAN be used for serious work, while a phone can usually not. A mid-sized, such as the Nexus, is perfect for "extra" computer/web/email use.

As these markets mature, we are likely to see even more in-between sizes - because the market is big enough to allow mass production of virtually any size range. We may see bigger tablets - or instant conversion of a mac book to a touch-screen tablet (fold back body, etc.)...

Having been trained in non-touch devices, I don't suppose I will ever get real work done on them. But for email, facebook, regular surfing, etc. they are great. I just ordered a Parrot Drone and intend to use the Nexus to control it......maybe I'll even mod it.

Top Bottom