Cannot reproduce New Discussion does not scroll to proper post

AndyB

When a member here on XenForo adds a post to a Resource discussion, I will see it on the New Posts results page, but when I click on the link, it always takes me to the first discussion post instead of the first unread discussion.

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
I simply can't reproduce this and there is no involvement of the RM here; they're just threads.

ge66

When a member here on XenForo adds a post to a Resource discussion, I will see it on the New Posts results page, but when I click on the link, it always takes me to the first discussion post instead of the first unread discussion.
I have seen this also very often here on xenforo. It happens on resource threads.

ge66

I saw this on the thread Post Content Find / Replace now when using New Posts, when I clicked I got to the first post. It seemes the link is wrong please see attached file from the New Posts list:
newtofirstpost.png

ge66

When you click and get to the first post you see that the link Go to First Unread is there and it works as it should.
firstpost.png

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
This is still not directly related to Resources, although it is feasible it may crop up there more frequently due to how resource threads are used, e.g. for one-off, occasional support more so than ongoing discussion.

In thread lists, a thread is considered new / unread based on this setting:

upload_2014-11-9_19-25-9.png

So ultimately it seems that this won't be Resource Manager exclusive and working as designed IMO.

Mr. Goodie2Shoes

Maybe something to do with the 'isNew' and 'haveReadData' sub-variables in the 'thread_list_item' template?
The system takes the visitor to the oldest unread post when the '/unread' action is added... and its not getting added to any resource related thread for some reason?

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
The reason is what I outlined above. There's no bug here, it's working as designed based on the Read Marking Data Lifetime.

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
Yeah, as Chris said, this is mostly down to the read marking data. Once the data is removed, we don't know if you've read the thread. Keeping more data is a trade off of performance/data usage vs correctness.