Cannot reproduce New Discussion does not scroll to proper post

AndyB

When a member here on XenForo adds a post to a Resource discussion, I will see it on the New Posts results page, but when I click on the link, it always takes me to the first discussion post instead of the first unread discussion.

I simply can't reproduce this and there is no involvement of the RM here; they're just threads.

When a member here on XenForo adds a post to a Resource discussion, I will see it on the New Posts results page, but when I click on the link, it always takes me to the first discussion post instead of the first unread discussion.
I have seen this also very often here on xenforo. It happens on resource threads.

I saw this on the thread Post Content Find / Replace now when using New Posts, when I clicked I got to the first post. It seemes the link is wrong please see attached file from the New Posts list:
newtofirstpost.webp

When you click and get to the first post you see that the link Go to First Unread is there and it works as it should.
firstpost.webp

This is still not directly related to Resources, although it is feasible it may crop up there more frequently due to how resource threads are used, e.g. for one-off, occasional support more so than ongoing discussion.

In thread lists, a thread is considered new / unread based on this setting:

upload_2014-11-9_19-25-9.webp

So ultimately it seems that this won't be Resource Manager exclusive and working as designed IMO.

Maybe something to do with the 'isNew' and 'haveReadData' sub-variables in the 'thread_list_item' template?
The system takes the visitor to the oldest unread post when the '/unread' action is added... and its not getting added to any resource related thread for some reason?

The reason is what I outlined above. There's no bug here, it's working as designed based on the Read Marking Data Lifetime.

Yeah, as Chris said, this is mostly down to the read marking data. Once the data is removed, we don't know if you've read the thread. Keeping more data is a trade off of performance/data usage vs correctness.

Top Bottom