XF 2.1 New conversation posts not showing until replied to

Mr Lucky

This seems to be a randomly intermittent issue, but I have had a couple of different users report it.

They get a conversation notification, but when they follow the link to the conversation that message is not there. But then it shows up if they post a message in the conversation.

So far it has only happened a few times, and in quite long conversations.

Has anyone got any idea what could be causing this? thanks

Does this only happen when a new conversation message flows over to a new page? If so, then I have experienced this a few times on XF2.x powered sites (or maybe only XF2.1, not sure).

In my case, the situation is the conversation remains 'unread' when opened, since the message exists on a new page that is not accessible. The total number of pages does not increase until there are two messages on the new last page. Manually incrementing the page number in the url does nothing. If the same person sends another message (or I send a message), the problem is momentarily resolved ... until the conversation flows over to the next page again and then the cycle continues.

Does this sound like what you experience? If your issue is not tied to the first message on a page then it might be a different issue.

Last edited:
Does this only happen when a new conversation message flows over to a new page? I
Seems not, this is from one user who has experienced it:

For me it was 'erratic' it would happen to any post anytime over several days, sometimes several on the run then not for the next several, refreshing page or clearing cache had no effect.
It would 'refuse to show' either the other person's post for which there was an alert or equally my own last post if I went to make another before the other person replied.

The bug report is still open but Chris gave a process to fix it in the bug report.

The bug report is still open but Chris gave a process to fix it in the bug report.
Then it isn't fixed.

Top Bottom