My personal bases for paying for XF add-ons

jadmperry

At this point in time, as an XF user and supporter, I have two essential criteria for paying for and buying services that coders may offer here (or anywhere, really). These are emphatically not in order, as I am stating publicly that my second criteria is a dealbreaker for me at this time.

1) The add-on/style/product is useful and well coded. This goes without saying, but if the service provided is helpful/useful/interesting to me and I think it will help my own forum, then I will likely purchase it. Sure, price matters. I support good and quality services and think people should charge reasonable prices. Within reason, though, the issue for me is the value added to my forum. If it is useful and helpful to me, I will probably purchase.

2) The reputation of the coder/seller. (I am stating this as a consumer. Some may disagree. That is fine and those that do can make their decisions based on their own criteria.) If you have a lousy track record, can't code well, or produce as promised, then I probably won't purchase. But, I have an additional criteria that I view as part of "reputation." If you post things here (or elsewhere, like adminextra, adminaddict, or on competing product forums) that are overly dramatic, delve into personal issues of XF principals, or are generally a troll, you have lost me as a potential customer. I am only one person, but I would bet that many of your potential customers feel the same way. If you think it is makes sense to go into personal issues of KAM (or anyone else, really), it makes me question your reputation. And I will not purchase a damn thing from you. Go ahead and express yourself within allowed limits. Just understand that your posts work into my decisions about how I will spend my money. I doubt I am in alone in this view.

Why should anyone care? Normally, I would say that the above are self-evident points. However, with a lot of the current drama surrounding the future of XF and several people speculating and posting about personal situations of the developers, I have seen some developers post things that I personally found offensive. I just post this as a reminder that if you want my money, now or in the future, I am reading posts and your views factor into my decisions about how I spend money. I probably am not alone in this view. Maybe I am wrong, or you don't care. If so, then good for you. I just thought I would share my thoughts on this point.

So how is this self serving post different then the others who come and troll here?

Edit. I don't think this is needed. Developers have long checked out of this community.

Why are you here? Do you have a XF forum? Are you a customer or potential customer of XF?

It's my thread. Like I said, people are free to disagree. Apparently you do...glad you found my thread interesting enough to reply to. However, you seem to exemplify the problem. Good for you in your trolling career, though. I hope that takes you far in life.

I noticed there is suddenly a wave of "new" customers .... Join dates less than a few days old ..... Suddenly trolling and being very familiar with some aspects (odd for new people)

XenForo allows for 10 registered user names on your account...... The idea is to allow staff members from your site to ask support questions.

I'm thinking it maybe being abused for "alter egos". The normal group of trolls didn't like being ignored and so they've come back under different screen names.

Didn't someone get their license suspending for abusing that feature? .... Food for thought

So how is this self serving post different then the others who come and troll here?

Edit. I don't think this is needed. Developers have long checked out of this community.
Implying someone is a troll in a post that is trolling? That's just plain ballsy.

The OP makes a valid point, and it is needed as most people don't know how to buy add-ons. Yes, you can just pay money and wish for the best, but there are too many people who lack ethics or don't put any effort into their work. When you're investing $20-$50 or more into an add-on, you'd at least expect updates, quality service and at least decent code quality.

Most of my clients ask me for advice on add-ons before they buy for the reasons that jadmperry listed.

You're trolling the community just as much as the next guy is pal.

No one cares about your requirements to developers for your money. The thread serves no purpose other than to troll
Whos the troll?
needdemo   XenForo Community.webp

Jadhmperry thank you for your excellent post.

I too look at the addon - what is does, do I want that on my various forums. Obviously.

I also look at the support track of the ceveloper. Does she respond quickly enough to support posts? Are the answers polite and useful? I dislike dealing with coders who treat a client to snippy superior snob. Not going to go there.

I pick up comments from other coders I know. I don't necessarily accept "he's a messy coder" - it's a competitive game with touches of testosterone lol. But if the comment states a specific and I can understand it (!) or more or less, I factor it in.

But last but NOT least, I do not want to deal with stunted people who a) spread rumours about KAM while they are coping with a lot b) especially rumours which stupidly or maliciously don't work with the published facts or the nature of legal procedures; c) invade the personal lives of KAM bringing in info that KAM have not given freely.
I keep my money and my respect for decent people.

Perhaps there could be a way to express respect for the best coders and why? I know Resource Manager has some facility for this but perhaps a thread for feedback on developers might be a good idea. That is POSITIVE feedback. The stunted types mentioned would be obvious by not being included.

Something like this:

Did the developer make a clear written agreement on what the job was to include?
Did the developer make a clear written agreement on the job's price?
Did the job get started on the day agreed, or no more than a few days later? (coding being a tad unpredictable)
Was communication about any problems clear and polite?
Did the developer understand the point of view of a user or member? (not buried in code)
Did the job get completed on the day agreed?
If the job was not completed on the day agreed, how much longer did it take?
If there was delay was this delay acceptable?
How highly would you recommend this developer based on this job?
Would your recommendation fit a certain type of client e.g. more experienced, or would it fit any client?

I'll only purchase from people I'll trust. So far the add-on devs that I would personally buy from again and all day long Syndol, Dark Immortal, Chris Deeming (these guys for me are amazing what they do and embrace suggestions) not only that they constantly improve their products. There are many others who provide good add-ons but since i haven't purchased from them I can't really say what their customer service is like because i haven't dealt with them.

But yeah, the 3 listed above I'd buy from all day long and I always donate further after purchase if they show that good service and commitment.

I'll only purchase from people I'll trust. So far the add-on devs that I would personally buy from again and all day long Syndol, Dark Immortal, Chris Deeming (these guys for me are amazing what they do and embrace suggestions) not only that they constantly improve their products. There are many others who provide good add-ons but since i haven't purchased from them I can't really say what their customer service is like because i haven't dealt with them.

But yeah, the 3 listed above I'd buy from all day long and I always donate further after purchase if they show that good service and commitment.
Thank you :) x

I've bought a lot and I read and sorta follow those developer's posts. I've seen them argue, say and do things I don't agree with and have been tempted to call them out but I don't because I know they might make something I'll need or my community wants later. I don't try to burn bridges or snob anyone on here not just for my sake but my community's sake. As a developer myself I know I've said some negative things here that I regret, especially about vBulletin but that can't be helped. I only complain about the software. I actually miss some old vbulletin posters back when I used to post there like BirdOPrey5, Gemma, Paul M's grumpy azz and Lynne. But thems the breaks.

I've bought a lot and I read and sorta follow those developer's posts. I've seen them argue, say and do things I don't agree with and have been tempted to call them out but I don't because I know they might make something I'll need or my community wants later. I don't try to burn bridges or snob anyone on here not just for my sake but my community's sake.

Right on, couldn't agree more. I wouldn't want to say something that may just carry more wood into the fire and offend the developer. At the same time I think that they should be more careful when they form their opinion maybe more than the average user here on xenforo, respectfully.

Top Bottom