• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Multiple Account Detection

installed easily enough, but the error is pretty cryptic:

Error

Please enter a valid value for this option.
Please make sure you enter IDs without spaces, like in the examples given. If this doesn't help, please give me a screenshot of your options page before you submit the form and get this error.

Thanks g0rn, it's going to be extremely useful for a forum I want to import. IP checks would be very nice!

Can I turn off certain functionality of this? I basically just want to run this on the existing database, and report back to me, and not do anything with newly registered accounts.

This was actually on my checklist of things needed before I could even consider moving one of my forums to XenForo. Thanks g0rn!

What XML should I upload after the import? I don't understand :S
Unzip the file in the first post.

Upload the MultipleAccountDetection directory to the /library directory.

Then click on Install Add-on in the ACP and select the addon_MultipleAccountDetection.xml file

acp_install_add_on.webp

Thank you very much for releasing this modification. It's used daily on our forum and we're now a step closed to ditching vBulletin.
One request, however.
Because we often have multiple people in the same household using our forums, we need to exempt linked from triggering the detector. So when a father and son, for example, have both logged in, we don't get any further alerts.
However, if a new account logs in from their computer, an alert will still be generated. If that turns out to be the brother then we can exempt his account also and so on.

For that reason I think it's important that we see login names rather than user IDs when loogin and exempt people.

Thank you very much for releasing this modification. It's used daily on our forum and we're now a step closed to ditching vBulletin.
One request, however.
Because we often have multiple people in the same household using our forums, we need to exempt linked from triggering the detector. So when a father and son, for example, have both logged in, we don't get any further alerts.
However, if a new account logs in from their computer, an alert will still be generated. If that turns out to be the brother then we can exempt his account also and so on.

For that reason I think it's important that we see login names rather than user IDs when loogin and exempt people.
I'm sorry but I'm not sure I have understood your suggestion.
Do you want to be able to enter usernames rather than IDs to the Ignored Users option?
If not, could you provide an example?

I was assuming every time someone swaps from one account to another there is an alert.
So you could get lots of alerts about the same two accounts as a person uses one and then the other.
Does it not work like this? Is there an alert only the first time two accounts are identified from the one computer?

No, the cookie is being kept on a user's machine even after logout, so the modification simply saves userids in this cookie.
Can I assume if they 'clear cookies' in their browser that the tracking cookie will be deleted?
And can I assume that people could use 2 or more browsers and not be detected with cookies?

(I've been ignoring how cookies work in browsers...)

Can I assume if they 'clear cookies' in their browser that the tracking cookie will be deleted?
And can I assume that people could use 2 or more browsers and not be detected with cookies?

(I've been ignoring how cookies work in browsers...)
Yes, for both. Technically experienced user will always find a way to bypass any kind of detection (however even such kind of users may forget to clear their cookies after every logout), but this modification catches most of multiple accounts, as typical user is not really familiar with cookies and other web stuff. I'll work on implementing IP detection which will catch users how cleared their cookies or changed the browser, but this will increase number of false positives because some users may share the same IP if they have the same ISP.

Yes, for both. Technically experienced user will always find a way to bypass any kind of detection (however even such kind of users may forget to clear their cookies after every logout), but this modification catches most of multiple accounts, as typical user is not really familiar with cookies and other web stuff. I'll work on implementing IP detection which will catch users how cleared their cookies or changed the browser, but this will increase number of false positives because some users may share the same IP if they have the same ISP.
Personally, for our forum, my interest is in detecting both multiple accounts from the same computer, and the same IP. Then alerting the staff somehow but perform no other action.

Every situation is different.

They could always get by undetected by using multiple browsers, different locations (mobile device, home computer, work computer, library, local coffee shop with wi fi) or even a proxy... but generally, eventually, they forget and make themselves known.

I have what I am certain is a stupid question but ... does anyone happen to know how you upload an entire folder using cPanel? I can only see an option to upload one file at a time.

Top Bottom