• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Multiple Account Detection

I just installed this on my board, will it detect past multiple accounts, or just new one since the installation? What is required to make it detect, when a user login, or does it go through the current user list with a cron job or something to detect it?

Sorry, I'm a little lost as how it works exactly!

Thanks!

It will detect past accounts, however; the user must first login with one account so the cookie is downloaded to their computer, at which it will detect other accounts then that they use. It won't just detect them though until the user has first come onto the site and logged in.

That is my experience from use. It runs a cron job every day and picks them up I think, as I often find and ban users, multiple accounts, then get that message from this mod. Probably needs to run every hour IMHO, or be a setting on how often to run the cron.

I have found this extremely useful for maintain disgruntled users when banned, then reregistering under multiple aliases and causing further trouble. The option to ban further duplicate accounts automatically is invaluable. I also have the option set to post a thread automatically in my staff forum, so any staff can quickly see anyone being deceptive. A+ mod IMHO.

Description:
This modification sets a special cookie which is not cleared on logout and tracks which accounts are used on the same computer and browser. The idea is mostly similar to the Multiple account login detector (AE Detector) vBulletin modification.
This modification currently does not utilize any kind of IP checks neither it prevents users from registering, but it's possible that these features will be implemented in future.
I'm unsure if you are still active here or plan to develop this further but an ability to detect people who use proxy as well?

It would be great if you could select either a thread or a forum to post detections in. A single thread for each user is a bit overkill on some of my communities.

It will detect past accounts, however; the user must first login with one account so the cookie is downloaded to their computer, at which it will detect other accounts then that they use. It won't just detect them though until the user has first come onto the site and logged in.

That is my experience from use. It runs a cron job every day and picks them up I think, as I often find and ban users, multiple accounts, then get that message from this mod. Probably needs to run every hour IMHO, or be a setting on how often to run the cron.

I have found this extremely useful for maintain disgruntled users when banned, then reregistering under multiple aliases and causing further trouble. The option to ban further duplicate accounts automatically is invaluable. I also have the option set to post a thread automatically in my staff forum, so any staff can quickly see anyone being deceptive. A+ mod IMHO.
I do not see a cron listing for it, do you know which cron it uses?

Help please..... :)

In the configuration file it asks for entered IDs separated by commas.
Where do I find IDs as opposed to Usernames in the CP?

I haven't had any problems to date. I've had one detection.
Most of my trolls are playing it safe at the moment.

It works without errors, but nobody has signed up twice on my site yet to determine it 'actually' works.

Top Bottom