moved from shared to vps help

ozm8ey

Hello I just recently moved my forums from a shared to a unmanaged vps with centos 7. got everything working i think but 2 problems Im having

1) sometimes when I install an addon or something it says permission denied error until I change the permission of the file/folder

2) Do I need to purchase ssl certificate for my domain in order for ssl to work?

1) sometimes when I install an addon or something it says permission denied error until I change the permission of the file/folder
You might be uploading the files through a user with elevated privileges.
2) Do I need to purchase ssl certificate for my domain in order for ssl to work?
You can use a free Lets Encrypt SSL certificate.

Are you using a panel (cPanel) or are you using CentOS/CentMin?
It will make a difference on how you address #1.

For #2, you can, or you can use LetsEncrypt.

Are you using a panel (cPanel) or are you using CentOS/CentMin?
It will make a difference on how you address #1.

For #2, you can, or you can use LetsEncrypt.
I'm using just centos 7 with no control panel like cpanel. I did upload the files via filezila though via sftp

With no panel, easiest way I found was to make a simple script that I called after doing anything from my normal user account (copying files in, etc). That script simply did a recursive chown on the directory that held the website to the HTTP server username/group.
I also set a CRON job up that ran every 30 minutes that did the same thing just in case I forgot.

Make sure that the data and internal_data are recursively set to CHMOD 0777 as per here:
Personally I'm not a fan of world writeable for any directories like that (even though they say it's fine). The issue is some add-ons install files into the /add-on subdirectory and THOSE must also be readable - so now you would have to make them 0777, which is a BIG no-no.

Im hoping it was just a one time thing from, moving the files to my vps causing the file permissions to change. I checked and seems the user im using has ownership of all the files and directories.

alright the file permission thing hasn't happened since and I now have the free lets encrypt ssl certificate install and working. thanks for the help, solved.

Top Bottom