Making the move from shared hosting to VPS/Dedicated server

kaieivindm

Hi all,

As we all know, sometimes we will notice the speed decreasing on shared hosting, as more and more customers add webhotels and such.

So I am now looking into VPS/Dedicated server.

Is there a some kind of "manual" on how to migrate from shared hosting to vps/dedicated?

I assume it's tons of way on how to do this, and probably many people offering services to do this.
But I am fairly known with Linux systems (been using it for 10-15 years), but not super deep technical knowledgeable with vps and those setups.

Would be great if someone could provide some kind of best practices on how do this?
I don't think about securing the server, setup the box it selv with proper versions of php, apache/lightspeed etc.

But the actual move of xenforo, is what I am looking for.

Thanks!

The actual move is simple enough. Export your DB (and confirm that the exported data is complete), copy your file structure for your forum and then upload that to your new VPS.
Set up a the DB (probably will need to be a new one unless you are going to use cPanel - cPanel gives the DB's a username-dbname structure from what I remember) and add a DB user for the DB. Then you need to import that uploaded SQL file into your new DB. Change your config.php to reflect the new DB name and username/password. Copy your files over to wherever the vhost definition for the HTTP server is configured to find them and you should be good to go (that's taking into consideration that you know how to set up and configure the VPS/Dedi to serve HTTP, SMTP, etc.).

Last edited:
The actual move is simple enough. Export your DB (and confirm that the exported data is complete), copy your file structure for your forum and then upload that to your new VPS.
Set up a the DB (probably will need to be a new one unless you are going to use cPanel - cPanel gives the DB's a username-dbname structure from what I remember) and add a DB user for the DB. Then you need to import that uploaded SQL file into your new DB. Change your config.php to reflect the new DB name and username/password. Copy your files over to wherever the vhost definition for the HTTP server is configured to find them and you should be good to go (that's taking into consideration that you know how to set up and configure the VPS/Dedi to server HTTP, SMTP, etc.).

Thanks!

Sounds fair enough I guess. Not to tricky and absolutely doable.

Anyone else have some good pro tips?

Pretty sure @sbj, that he commented that he was already familiar with that aspect of it (since he's had 10-15 years exposure to Linux)... his question was on the moving of the forum itself over.... not to mention not everybody uses CentOS as their OS. I personally prefer Debian, then Ubuntu then CentOS. :D

Yeah, maybe, or maybe not, see:

And he asked for this:

I will go for CentOS 6.6 or 7.
Most of the Norwegian VPS services has c-panel and / or plesk.

My biggest issue is actually cost, as its really expensive here.

With prices from $50 to $125 a month, and its not even good hardware. We're talking about singel core (cheap) and dual core (tad more expensive) with 1-2GB RAM and 50GB SSD as normal. And only 2-3 TB traffic.

With prices from $50 to $125 a month, and its not even good hardware. We're talking about singel core (cheap) and dual core (tad more expensive) with 1-2GB RAM and 50GB SSD as normal. And only 2-3 TB traffic.
Go with the usual suspects: Ramnode, Linode, Digital Ocean, Vultr

I remember reading that the costs there were a tad bit on the "high" side. I'm paying $289 a month for a dual E5620 with 8 1TB SATA in HW RAID 10 with 15TB monthly transfer. I've been really happy with the hosting company and the hardware (I have several VPS's set up on it).

Hi all,

As we all know, sometimes we will notice the speed decreasing on shared hosting, as more and more customers add webhotels and such.

So I am now looking into VPS/Dedicated server.

Is there a some kind of "manual" on how to migrate from shared hosting to vps/dedicated?

I assume it's tons of way on how to do this, and probably many people offering services to do this.
But I am fairly known with Linux systems (been using it for 10-15 years), but not super deep technical knowledgeable with vps and those setups.

Would be great if someone could provide some kind of best practices on how do this?
I don't think about securing the server, setup the box it selv with proper versions of php, apache/lightspeed etc.

But the actual move of xenforo, is what I am looking for.

Thanks!

Why does everyone feel they "out grown shared hosting" and now need a VPS or dedi? You simply just require a premium shared hosting provider. We host over 150 xenForo communities on our shared hosting platform, several with over a million posts and a few with as many as 5 million or more posts and 1,000 users online. Don't believe all the you need an expensive server now hype.

Why does everyone feel they "out grown shared hosting" and now need a VPS or dedi? You simply just require a premium shared hosting provider. We host over 150 xenForo communities on our shared hosting platform, several with over a million posts and a few with as many as 5 million or more posts and 1,000 users online. Don't believe all the you need an expensive server now hype.

My problem is really that even with small forums, my host is struggling to keep up speed. And it really lags sometimes. We are talking about normal hickups on 5-10 seconds posting or even just reload the site, and it often happens 10-15 times a day.

Basically not good enough! And that is why.

Question though, why should people NOT feel they want a VPS or dedi? When I dont have access to a premium shared hosting provider, then my options are kind of limit, no?

My problem is really that even with small forums, my host is struggling to keep up speed. And it really lags sometimes. We are talking about normal hickups on 5-10 seconds posting or even just reload the site, and it often happens 10-15 times a day.

Basically not good enough! And that is why.

Question though, why should people NOT feel they want a VPS or dedi? When I dont have access to a premium shared hosting provider, then my options are kind of limit, no?

The lag is from budget hosting.. It's like buying a scooter and expecting it to be as fast as a Mustang. Premium hosting costs a good deal more then budget hosting (our packages start at $19.95/mo), but weighing it against the cost of a dedi, it is still a big savings considering the cost of cPanel, LiteSpeed, managed services/security/support for the server, etc. We have several clients that moved to us from dedi's (expensive ones too) and all have told me how amazed our services out preform what they had at a fraction of the cost. So if you have the budget for a VPS/Dedi, you should be able to have access to premium shared at around the same budget or less :D

Feel free to PM me too to discuss options more or for some links to some of the high traffic forums we host.

The lag is from budget hosting.. It's like buying a scooter and expecting it to be as fast as a Mustang. Premium hosting costs a good deal more then budget hosting (our packages start at $19.95/mo), but weighing it against the cost of a dedi, it is still a big savings considering the cost of cPanel, LiteSpeed, managed services/security/support for the server, etc. We have several clients that moved to us from dedi's (expensive ones too) and all have told me how amazed our services out preform what they had at a fraction of the cost. So if you have the budget for a VPS/Dedi, you should be able to have access to premium shared at around the same budget or less :D

Feel free to PM me too to discuss options more or for some links to some of the high traffic forums we host.

I agree with you, however you are in the US? I am sitting in Norway, makes no sense to host a fully Norwegian sites abroad even with your premium hosting :)
And believe me, it's not on budget hosting, its premium, at least by Norwegian hosting standards :p However bad they are...

I am looking for other hosts too, but its difficult to decide and make decissions when you know the grass is NOT greener on the other side of the fence.

I agree with you, however you are in the US? I am sitting in Norway, makes no sense to host a fully Norwegian sites abroad even with your premium hosting :)
And believe me, it's not on budget hosting, its premium, at least by Norwegian hosting standards :p However bad they are...

I am looking for other hosts too, but its difficult to decide and make decissions when you know the grass is NOT greener on the other side of the fence.

Yes, we are US based, but with today's technology and advanced network peering, it really doesn't matter where you host in the world. The only sort of hosting that might have a slight effect on the distance latency would be game or voice servers. Webhosting, world location differences your really only talking about milisecond differences, so it's not really a concern like maybe gaming would be. Our data center has a direct peer with Stockholm, making Estonia, Sweden, Norway etc very fast :) We host communities with owners based out of about 29 countries.

Top Bottom